Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Glucosamine Chondroitin

Posted by Mary J. on 2/27/01 at 07:01 (039975)

I have been hearing about Glucosamine Chondroitin (supports healthy joint function). Has anyone tried it for heel pain?

Re: Glucosamine Chondroitin

Julie on 2/27/01 at 07:11 (039977)

Glucosamine is a natural constituent of cartilage, and is used by itself and with chondroitin in conditions in which cartilage has been lost, for example degenerative arthritis. I doubt they would be much use for plantar fasciitis (but perhaps someone who has tried it could post about their experience).

MSM, which is said to help repair connective tissue, is probably more to the point. Several of us are trying it, and BarbNY (see her recent posts on the Treatments board) has had success and improvement with it.

Re: What we go through to get to Dr. Wizard!

Cynthia D on 2/27/01 at 09:35 (039984)

WOW what a story, you could be a writer. The phone rang three times, the toddler interrupted me twice, his sitter interrupted me twice, the doorbell rang and someone doing work here pulled me away for a question, so it took me forever to read your story! If I don't get interrupted again, maybe I can respond before I have to leave.

Interesting that you thought with all your struggles to get there that maybe you were getting signals that you shouldn't go, but did it anyway. I also got on the last flight to land in Phil. the day I went, and slid all over those highways. Why don't they plow right away? And why do they build those steep bridges? Remeber the same thing happened to me. We also got stuck in his office for 2 hours after I was done. He did offer my sister and I that guest bedroom, too. Dr. Z. is a special doctor, but also a special individual person, so kind and caring that makes us practically risk our lives to get there! Maybe he should open up a clinic in Florida for the winter, and then the rest of the year in NJ.

I'm restless to see my final results, but am getting more hopeful that this treatment will be the cure for me. 3 weeks now. I am getting better every day, and even better on the days I don't do too much walking. I thought only 30% had to have more than one treatment, not 70%? Which is correct, Dr. Z.

In any case, Jill, let's hope you and I are in the percentages that are cured with one treatment! Or if we need #2, we can travel together. If we are cured, I could jog from Boston to Minn., then we could jog on our new feet to NJ just to say thanks.

Let us know how you are progressing. Good luck, kiss those precious children.

Re: Wow. What button did I push wrong? Sorry, this was for Jill.

Cynthia D on 2/27/01 at 09:37 (039985)

eom

Brian G on 2/27/01 at 10:51 (039997)

I tried it, the Glu - Cos for about 4 months. This was a couple years ago, when I had only had my PF for 5 years. Sorry to say, it did not help, not a bit. If it wern't for the pain meds, I'd probably be bedridden! And I'm sure I would have dragged my sorry but to NJ by now :*)

BG

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/27/01 at 13:40 (040008)

It is my opinion that about 30-40 % of patients will need a second treatment. Or about 30-40 % of the patients that come into my office or any office and have high power ESWT will get complete relief with one treatment. Some say it is as high as 50% that will need a second treatment. . I don't know of any studies that pin this number down. The point is that additional treatment if the first doesn't work is good for the healing and that can lead the patient to a pain free result

I believe that the over all sucess rate is betweeen 75-85% and that about 30-40 % of those in that group had a 2nd treatment.

We are calling all patients on a weekly time frame to try to get results.

DIANE on 3/01/01 at 14:22 (040200)

WELL ONE TREATMENT DIDN'T DIDN'T DO IT FOR ME.I AM IN
TX. I DO WONDER SOMETIMES IF I WENT BACK IF IT WOULD HELP.

john h on 3/03/01 at 19:08 (040368)

there was a recent article on a very promising study being conducted under the auspices of the FDA to inject some fattty substance that has been liposucked out of your body into the joints with liittle or damaged cartlidge. this substance has shown the ability to grow into new cartlidge.

Mark R on 5/03/01 at 06:52 (046461)

I tried Glucosamine and Chondroiton and did not notice much difference. I have however had some pain free days while taking MSM. Any vitamin & health store should have MSM.

Julie on 2/27/01 at 07:11 (039977)

Glucosamine is a natural constituent of cartilage, and is used by itself and with chondroitin in conditions in which cartilage has been lost, for example degenerative arthritis. I doubt they would be much use for plantar fasciitis (but perhaps someone who has tried it could post about their experience).

MSM, which is said to help repair connective tissue, is probably more to the point. Several of us are trying it, and BarbNY (see her recent posts on the Treatments board) has had success and improvement with it.

Cynthia D on 2/27/01 at 09:35 (039984)

WOW what a story, you could be a writer. The phone rang three times, the toddler interrupted me twice, his sitter interrupted me twice, the doorbell rang and someone doing work here pulled me away for a question, so it took me forever to read your story! If I don't get interrupted again, maybe I can respond before I have to leave.

Interesting that you thought with all your struggles to get there that maybe you were getting signals that you shouldn't go, but did it anyway. I also got on the last flight to land in Phil. the day I went, and slid all over those highways. Why don't they plow right away? And why do they build those steep bridges? Remeber the same thing happened to me. We also got stuck in his office for 2 hours after I was done. He did offer my sister and I that guest bedroom, too. Dr. Z. is a special doctor, but also a special individual person, so kind and caring that makes us practically risk our lives to get there! Maybe he should open up a clinic in Florida for the winter, and then the rest of the year in NJ.

I'm restless to see my final results, but am getting more hopeful that this treatment will be the cure for me. 3 weeks now. I am getting better every day, and even better on the days I don't do too much walking. I thought only 30% had to have more than one treatment, not 70%? Which is correct, Dr. Z.

In any case, Jill, let's hope you and I are in the percentages that are cured with one treatment! Or if we need #2, we can travel together. If we are cured, I could jog from Boston to Minn., then we could jog on our new feet to NJ just to say thanks.

Let us know how you are progressing. Good luck, kiss those precious children.

Cynthia D on 2/27/01 at 09:37 (039985)

eom

Brian G on 2/27/01 at 10:51 (039997)

I tried it, the Glu - Cos for about 4 months. This was a couple years ago, when I had only had my PF for 5 years. Sorry to say, it did not help, not a bit. If it wern't for the pain meds, I'd probably be bedridden! And I'm sure I would have dragged my sorry but to NJ by now :*)

BG

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/27/01 at 13:40 (040008)

It is my opinion that about 30-40 % of patients will need a second treatment. Or about 30-40 % of the patients that come into my office or any office and have high power ESWT will get complete relief with one treatment. Some say it is as high as 50% that will need a second treatment. . I don't know of any studies that pin this number down. The point is that additional treatment if the first doesn't work is good for the healing and that can lead the patient to a pain free result

I believe that the over all sucess rate is betweeen 75-85% and that about 30-40 % of those in that group had a 2nd treatment.

We are calling all patients on a weekly time frame to try to get results.

DIANE on 3/01/01 at 14:22 (040200)

WELL ONE TREATMENT DIDN'T DIDN'T DO IT FOR ME.I AM IN
TX. I DO WONDER SOMETIMES IF I WENT BACK IF IT WOULD HELP.

john h on 3/03/01 at 19:08 (040368)

there was a recent article on a very promising study being conducted under the auspices of the FDA to inject some fattty substance that has been liposucked out of your body into the joints with liittle or damaged cartlidge. this substance has shown the ability to grow into new cartlidge.

Mark R on 5/03/01 at 06:52 (046461)

I tried Glucosamine and Chondroiton and did not notice much difference. I have however had some pain free days while taking MSM. Any vitamin & health store should have MSM.