Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Almost pain free...

Posted by NC on 2/27/01 at 11:03 (039998)

For the past two years I have suffered with Plantar Fasciitis on and off. I am a 58 year old female and my jobs as a teacher and a sales clerk warrented long hours on my feet.
The last bout of inflammation was very painful, with one of my heels swollen most of the time. Standing and walking were very painful. I went through all the traditional treatments step by step (i.e. anti-inflammatories, physiotherapy, laser therapy and one cortisone injection.
I was in despair until I found out about shockwave therapy on the website and I am pleased to inform anyone suffering from PF to definitely consider ESWT.
In my case I attended the Bayshore ESWT Pain Clinic in Markham, Ontario and I had 5 treatments of low intensity treatments (Siemens Sonocur Plus) followed by low energy photon therapy a day after to help speed up the healing process.
My therapist, Heidi Brunner, who was trained by a medical doctor, was warm, empathetic, bubbly and had a wonderful bedside manner. She cheerfully dubbed herself as 'Dr. Pain'! The treatments are painful but by no means unbearable.
I felt relief by the second treatment and I would say that at this point I am 70% cured and most of the inflammation has cleared up.
Heidi will be doing a follow-up with me at 3 weeks, six weeks and three months. SInce the treatment is cummulative, I am certain that in a few months I will be totally cured of this pain. The long term results are not yet clear, but I will definitely go for more treatments if necessary, rather than spend hours of agony and traditional treatments.
Heidi has stressed that I follow up with light physiotherapy including low energy photon therapy (laser) for four weeks to further the healing process.
I definitely recommend ESWT for people with PF.

Re: Almost pain free...

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/27/01 at 17:25 (040027)

They really have some nice people there . Heidi and Dr. Z have e-mail each other before. Glad to hear you are going in the right direction. Time is a big factor for complete releif. I believe Heidi told me that the photon laser does reduce the healing period. So keep going and take your time for the activtiy

Re: Almost pain free...

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/27/01 at 17:25 (040027)

They really have some nice people there . Heidi and Dr. Z have e-mail each other before. Glad to hear you are going in the right direction. Time is a big factor for complete releif. I believe Heidi told me that the photon laser does reduce the healing period. So keep going and take your time for the activtiy