Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ankle pain after Heel Spur Removal and PF Surgery

Posted by Becky on 2/27/01 at 20:25 (040031)

I had a heel spur removed in Nov 2000, and Pf. Since that surgery I cant even tell where the heel spur was. So satisified with this surgery, but in the last couple of weeks, I am having pain in and around my ankle. Has anyone else had these symptoms, if so what do I do now?

Re: Ankle pain after Heel Spur Removal and PF Surgery

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/27/01 at 20:58 (040036)

Rest, physical therapy, maybe even a boot cast or an elastic support. You are probaby doing just alittle too much too soon. It can take up to six months for all of the foot and ankle pain to leave . I have found that if you just hope that this pain will leave without any support for the ankle, it can get worse. Talk to your doc and see if he has any elastic suports or even an aircast , or go to the drug store and get the futuro elastic support.

Amy on 2/28/01 at 09:37 (040063)

I had EPF surgery without heelspur removal in Oct. of 2000 and also have ankle pain (read my many threads in the 'Ask the Doctor' section on this website). After following Dr. Z's suggestions for a month, I returned to my doctor's office and an x-ray revealed an ankle spur just 2' above the heel spur. Hopefully, this is NOT your problem too. As Dr. Z suggested get the ankle support it does help. I'd do all the other suggestions for about a month then go back to you doctor. It could be the way you compensated after the surgery. I am now getting a series of cortisone shots, which so far has not helped the inflammation. Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/27/01 at 20:58 (040036)

Rest, physical therapy, maybe even a boot cast or an elastic support. You are probaby doing just alittle too much too soon. It can take up to six months for all of the foot and ankle pain to leave . I have found that if you just hope that this pain will leave without any support for the ankle, it can get worse. Talk to your doc and see if he has any elastic suports or even an aircast , or go to the drug store and get the futuro elastic support.

Amy on 2/28/01 at 09:37 (040063)

I had EPF surgery without heelspur removal in Oct. of 2000 and also have ankle pain (read my many threads in the 'Ask the Doctor' section on this website). After following Dr. Z's suggestions for a month, I returned to my doctor's office and an x-ray revealed an ankle spur just 2' above the heel spur. Hopefully, this is NOT your problem too. As Dr. Z suggested get the ankle support it does help. I'd do all the other suggestions for about a month then go back to you doctor. It could be the way you compensated after the surgery. I am now getting a series of cortisone shots, which so far has not helped the inflammation. Good luck and let us know how you're doing.