Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What a mess after 2 surgeries

Posted by GarryB on 2/27/01 at 23:13 (040045)

In November of 99 my podiatrist performed surgery on 1 of my heel spurs. 2months later and alot of pain was diagnosed with a stress fracture. Removable cast for 8 weeks. Not much relief. I wore the cast for months, any time I had to be on my feet. My other heel spur started really flaring up because of the increased pressure put on it while wearing the portable cast. Went to Orthopaedic MD who said, 'we never operate on heelspurs!! 3 months later and much pain later, he decided that the he would do surgery on the 2nd foot. He said for all that I had been going through, maybe he could give me some relief. Nov, 2000, surgery on the 2nd foot. He didn't shave spur cause he claims they usually come back. Just partially cut to relieve pressure. Here I am, Feb. 28th and I can't put any pressure on this foot. I have done all the exercises prescribed. Tried all the 'cures' listed on the net and I can't walk!!! I have terrible pain. this Doc says 6-12 months before relieve. I can't take it anymore!!!!!! I am 52. Had triple bypass 3 years ago and MUST keep active! I can't walk a treadmill. I can bike but not like I should. I am at my wits end. I have had constant heel pain for over 4 years now.

Re: What a mess after 2 surgeries

Nancy S. on 2/27/01 at 23:40 (040047)

Dear Garry, it sounds like you've had an awful time, and my condolences to you. Are you brand new to this site? Because there's more info. here on plantar fasciitis (or heel spurs) and myriad other foot problems than anywhere else on the Net. My first suggestion to you is to read Scott's PF Book (click on it at top of page), if you haven't already.
And my second suggestion, if one of the podiatrists from the doctors' message board doesn't see your post, is to post your history and current situation there to Dr. Zuckerman (that board at this site is called 'Ask the Doctors'). You may be a candidate for ESWT, a fast up-and-coming procedure that has helped many people, including those like yourself who have had failed surgeries. Dr. Z. himself performs this treatment, can evaluate you, and even if you turn out not to be an ESWT candidate can probably give you some of the best advice around.
Please do post there to him if he doesn't see your post here -- you sound toward the end of your rope, something a lot of us can understand, but there is hope -- and please post here anytime -- on the Support board or wherever, if you need to feel less alone with this. PF is a real kicker, and people at this site trade a lot of support as well as information. Lots of people who almost gave up on the idea of getting better have gotten better, or at least are getting better (I seem to be one).
Don't give up, and hang in there, and keep us posted with questions or just how you're doing.
Nancy

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/28/01 at 00:23 (040049)

Well I was going to go to bed but I decided to take a last look at the posting. You have been in too much pain for a long time, and are part of the group who made me decide that ESWT should be tried before foot surgery or at least be considered by the patient before foot surgery and can be considered even after heel spur surgery.

I would first determine why you developed a stress fracture in your foot post surgical . Yes if is a complication from surgery but is rare.

If the pain is still from the area where the plantar fascia inserts into the bottom of the heal, then you could be a very good candidate for ESWT regardless of whether you have foot surgery already. Nerve involvement needs to be ruled out and so does any underlying disease this is why the stress fracture needs to be evaluated closer.

A mri should be done if it hasn't already . So yes ESWST but first an mri and lower extremity evaluation to determine the full involvement or lack of involvement of the lower extremity.

There are many posters on this board that can help you and give you advice.

I would love to examine you where do you live. After the pf online book or if you have more information that you can offer feel free to ask myself or I am sure you are going to get alot fo support from this board.

Julie on 2/28/01 at 02:40 (040054)

Hi Garry

Yes, after a triple bypass you need to keep active, so it must be terribly frustrating and worrying not to be able to walk and bike. But you also need to stay off your feet as much as you can (I'm sure you know this) because the fascia needs rest in order to heal.

Can you swim? Have you a pool near you? Swimming is excellent aerobic non-weight-bearing exercise. It takes a little while to get into a routine, but I've found that once I do it's easy to maintain. I have a three-mile drive to my pool and I don't always 'want' to go, but I always feel good afterwards.

Do read the PF Book. The link is on the home page. It's long, detailed, and a great source of information. Print it out and study it: you will find lots of useful ideas on dealing with your heel pain.

I suggest that you consult the section on Taping, in Part 2 of the PF book.I can't be sure taping would help you, given that you also have the stress fracture, but tape does give good support to the arch, and I have found it extremely helpful. It not only relieves the pain, it is, as our author and PF mentor Scott says, the most effective means of resting the fascia so that it can heal. He describes and illustrates several different methods of taping. I use the simplest, two-strip technique.

The Futuro ankle support, available in drug stores, also gives good support to the arch.

Do keep in touch with the board, ask questions, and let us know how you get on.

All the best, Julie

GarryB on 2/28/01 at 17:02 (040110)

I live in Michigan and I'm willing to travel to find some relief.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/28/01 at 18:03 (040117)

We would be very happy to send you a ESWT packtet which explaine the procedure. In additon we have a lotto that you can enter that allows a complete treatment for a pateint worth $2500. This is something that i do every month. Call my office at 1-856-848-3338 and ask them for the ESWT packet with video

DIANE on 3/03/01 at 13:25 (040346)

ME TOO.E-MAIL ME PLEASE

Nancy S. on 2/27/01 at 23:40 (040047)

Dear Garry, it sounds like you've had an awful time, and my condolences to you. Are you brand new to this site? Because there's more info. here on plantar fasciitis (or heel spurs) and myriad other foot problems than anywhere else on the Net. My first suggestion to you is to read Scott's PF Book (click on it at top of page), if you haven't already.
And my second suggestion, if one of the podiatrists from the doctors' message board doesn't see your post, is to post your history and current situation there to Dr. Zuckerman (that board at this site is called 'Ask the Doctors'). You may be a candidate for ESWT, a fast up-and-coming procedure that has helped many people, including those like yourself who have had failed surgeries. Dr. Z. himself performs this treatment, can evaluate you, and even if you turn out not to be an ESWT candidate can probably give you some of the best advice around.
Please do post there to him if he doesn't see your post here -- you sound toward the end of your rope, something a lot of us can understand, but there is hope -- and please post here anytime -- on the Support board or wherever, if you need to feel less alone with this. PF is a real kicker, and people at this site trade a lot of support as well as information. Lots of people who almost gave up on the idea of getting better have gotten better, or at least are getting better (I seem to be one).
Don't give up, and hang in there, and keep us posted with questions or just how you're doing.
Nancy

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/28/01 at 00:23 (040049)

Well I was going to go to bed but I decided to take a last look at the posting. You have been in too much pain for a long time, and are part of the group who made me decide that ESWT should be tried before foot surgery or at least be considered by the patient before foot surgery and can be considered even after heel spur surgery.

I would first determine why you developed a stress fracture in your foot post surgical . Yes if is a complication from surgery but is rare.

If the pain is still from the area where the plantar fascia inserts into the bottom of the heal, then you could be a very good candidate for ESWT regardless of whether you have foot surgery already. Nerve involvement needs to be ruled out and so does any underlying disease this is why the stress fracture needs to be evaluated closer.

A mri should be done if it hasn't already . So yes ESWST but first an mri and lower extremity evaluation to determine the full involvement or lack of involvement of the lower extremity.

There are many posters on this board that can help you and give you advice.

I would love to examine you where do you live. After the pf online book or if you have more information that you can offer feel free to ask myself or I am sure you are going to get alot fo support from this board.

Julie on 2/28/01 at 02:40 (040054)

Hi Garry

Yes, after a triple bypass you need to keep active, so it must be terribly frustrating and worrying not to be able to walk and bike. But you also need to stay off your feet as much as you can (I'm sure you know this) because the fascia needs rest in order to heal.

Can you swim? Have you a pool near you? Swimming is excellent aerobic non-weight-bearing exercise. It takes a little while to get into a routine, but I've found that once I do it's easy to maintain. I have a three-mile drive to my pool and I don't always 'want' to go, but I always feel good afterwards.

Do read the PF Book. The link is on the home page. It's long, detailed, and a great source of information. Print it out and study it: you will find lots of useful ideas on dealing with your heel pain.

I suggest that you consult the section on Taping, in Part 2 of the PF book.I can't be sure taping would help you, given that you also have the stress fracture, but tape does give good support to the arch, and I have found it extremely helpful. It not only relieves the pain, it is, as our author and PF mentor Scott says, the most effective means of resting the fascia so that it can heal. He describes and illustrates several different methods of taping. I use the simplest, two-strip technique.

The Futuro ankle support, available in drug stores, also gives good support to the arch.

Do keep in touch with the board, ask questions, and let us know how you get on.

All the best, Julie

GarryB on 2/28/01 at 17:02 (040110)

I live in Michigan and I'm willing to travel to find some relief.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/28/01 at 18:03 (040117)

We would be very happy to send you a ESWT packtet which explaine the procedure. In additon we have a lotto that you can enter that allows a complete treatment for a pateint worth $2500. This is something that i do every month. Call my office at 1-856-848-3338 and ask them for the ESWT packet with video

DIANE on 3/03/01 at 13:25 (040346)

ME TOO.E-MAIL ME PLEASE