Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Hammertoe surgery

Posted by scottyd on 2/28/01 at 12:46 (040083)

My podiatrist has suggested hammertoe surgery on the 2nd toe on each foot. The 2nd toe is longer than the big toe and is causing pain and problems. He will perform outpatient surgery where the joint is removed to take approx 1/2 inch to make the 2nd toe equal to the length of the 3rd toe on each foot. He says recovery is approx 2 weeks to get back into athletic shoes and 6 weeks to get back in 'normal' shoes. Is this realistic and a reasonable expectation. What about long-term prognosis?Any suggestions/recommendations are appreciated. I am 48 year female

Re: Hammertoe surgery

Dr. Biehler on 2/28/01 at 13:47 (040088)

Without going into the ' Why you are having the procedure done '. If your doctor is doing an 'ambulatory surgery' technique, then his estimates of recover time is realistic and resonable. If the procedure is being done for the right reasons, then your long term prognosis should be very good. Dr. B.

ellen w on 2/28/01 at 17:14 (040112)

Is your pain caused by the way your shoes fit, or is it from the structure of your feet itself?

If its from shoes, you might want to look at custom-made shoes rather than surgery. I recently did a web search on this and came up with some interesting options, including a company that makes custom-made sneakers.

Just a thought,
Ellen

scottyd on 2/28/01 at 17:28 (040113)

The problem is the structure of my feet...this should correct the problem..just wondering if anyone else out there has had this surgery and the results.

scottyd on 2/28/01 at 17:32 (040115)

My doctor said that I have abnormally long toes, especially the 2nd toes on each foot. The result is that the 2nd toe bears the brunt at the end of the shoe. It bends under and is painful. That is why I went to him after years of suffering from this. Does this seem like the right reason to operate? It will be done in his office, require 2 stitches and local ansthesia w/ something to relax me.

kristy on 5/09/01 at 08:49 (047135)

I just had it 5 weeks ago, and I'm barely fitting in a shoe. I think 2 weeks is a bit short for recovery

Dr. Biehler on 2/28/01 at 13:47 (040088)

Without going into the ' Why you are having the procedure done '. If your doctor is doing an 'ambulatory surgery' technique, then his estimates of recover time is realistic and resonable. If the procedure is being done for the right reasons, then your long term prognosis should be very good. Dr. B.

ellen w on 2/28/01 at 17:14 (040112)

Is your pain caused by the way your shoes fit, or is it from the structure of your feet itself?

If its from shoes, you might want to look at custom-made shoes rather than surgery. I recently did a web search on this and came up with some interesting options, including a company that makes custom-made sneakers.

Just a thought,
Ellen

scottyd on 2/28/01 at 17:28 (040113)

The problem is the structure of my feet...this should correct the problem..just wondering if anyone else out there has had this surgery and the results.

scottyd on 2/28/01 at 17:32 (040115)

My doctor said that I have abnormally long toes, especially the 2nd toes on each foot. The result is that the 2nd toe bears the brunt at the end of the shoe. It bends under and is painful. That is why I went to him after years of suffering from this. Does this seem like the right reason to operate? It will be done in his office, require 2 stitches and local ansthesia w/ something to relax me.

kristy on 5/09/01 at 08:49 (047135)

I just had it 5 weeks ago, and I'm barely fitting in a shoe. I think 2 weeks is a bit short for recovery