Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

hammertoe surgery

Posted by scottyd on 2/28/01 at 12:52 (040084)

My podiatrist has suggested shorteningof the 2nd digits on each foot. I have been experiencing pain and discomfort becauseof the longer 2nd digit. His suggestion is to remove part of the joint to make each 2nd toe equal to the length of the 3rd toe on each foot (approx 1/2 inch).
What are the risks? He says I will be back in athletic shoes in 2 weeks (swelling permitting) and in 'normal' shoes in 6 weeks. Is this realistic. He says this hammertoe surgery is done all the time and I should not experience problems. Any suggestions/recommendations? I am a 48 year old female

Re: hammertoe surgery

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/28/01 at 18:07 (040118)

The reason for the procedure is for pain and or inability to wear shoes properly.

The risks are infection , fat toe
delayed healing. This is a very commone procedur that is done all the time in the podiatric surgical profession, and it sounds like our are the right patient for this procedure.

Good luck and feel free to aks any questions you may have.

DR. Biehler on 5/03/01 at 11:51 (046492)

It is possible to do the same surgery by cutting the phalange and leaving the joint alone. This depends on the circumstances. Dr.B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/28/01 at 18:07 (040118)

The reason for the procedure is for pain and or inability to wear shoes properly.

The risks are infection , fat toe
delayed healing. This is a very commone procedur that is done all the time in the podiatric surgical profession, and it sounds like our are the right patient for this procedure.

Good luck and feel free to aks any questions you may have.

DR. Biehler on 5/03/01 at 11:51 (046492)

It is possible to do the same surgery by cutting the phalange and leaving the joint alone. This depends on the circumstances. Dr.B.