Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New Problems after EPF Surgery

Posted by Rich C. on 3/01/01 at 08:16 (040145)

Had bilateral EFP surgery done 12/11/00 by podiatrist surgeon. (cut 50% both feet). Had PF problems both feet about 10 years. Went through the usual injections, taping, orthodics, therapy, night splints, and walking boot. Also had radio frequency leisioning procedure done(to deaded nerves in both feet. Had to have EPF surgery done since it got to the point I couldn't walk or stand for more than a few minutes without crippling pain.

Almost 3 months since surgery. Although surgical pain has subsided, I now have severe pain on both feet opposite side of where PF was cut. Pain is at outside edge of foot(from midpoint to small toe), at bones on top of foot (outer edge), and under the ball of the foot. Despite more than 8 weeks of physical therapy, pain becomes unbearable and disabling when walking for just a few minutes. The bones on the top of the foot feel like they're going to break and I can't flex or shift any weight towards the ball of my foot. I can only walk flat footed by shuffling my feet.

My podiatrist recommends having the orthodics adjusted to tilt the feet towards the inside to see if that helps. The health insurance company's review physician recommended I undergo a 'work hardening program' which the physical therapist said consists of getting me on a treadmill to stregnthen the muscles in the feet that are used in walking.

I read on your site that several people have had problems with the outside lateral part of their feet after PF surgery and would welcome any comments or suggestions.

Re: New Problems after EPF Surgery

Dr. Biehler on 3/01/01 at 13:44 (040197)

It sounds like the surgery changed the biomechanics of your foot. It is common to get a peronius tersius strain on the outer top part of the foot and very probable you are getting a capsulitis/bursitis under the ball of your foot and periostisis of the bone in your fith toe. I think orthotics may help but if they tilt the foot so more weight goes on the outside along the lateral border, then I think you will have problems. Dr. B.

Re: New Problems after EPF Surgery

Dr. Biehler on 3/01/01 at 13:44 (040197)

It sounds like the surgery changed the biomechanics of your foot. It is common to get a peronius tersius strain on the outer top part of the foot and very probable you are getting a capsulitis/bursitis under the ball of your foot and periostisis of the bone in your fith toe. I think orthotics may help but if they tilt the foot so more weight goes on the outside along the lateral border, then I think you will have problems. Dr. B.