Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Post-ESWT

Posted by Carol D on 3/01/01 at 08:17 (040147)

Dear Everyone. I would like very much to hear some encouragement about post-ESWT. I had mine a week ago in both feet and have not seen any improvement at all and in fact have digressed somewhat. If you have had similar symptoms, I'd truly like to hear about it.

Re: Post-ESWT

Julie on 3/01/01 at 08:33 (040152)

Hi Carol

While you're waiting for those who've experienced ESWT to wake up/get home from work, may I suggest that you browse through the ESWT board - there have been lots of recent posts from recoverers - and do a search for older reports too. Although I haven't had the treatment myself, I've read enough about it from the patients and doctors on the board to know that a week is NOTHING - much too soon to start worrying. Dr Z has always said that the main healing takes place between six and twelve weeks. So be heartened and use this time to get plenty of rest and do things you like to do without being on your feet.

All the best for your healing, which I'm sure will happen.

Julie

Carol D on 3/01/01 at 08:37 (040153)

Thanksk Julie -- I've read most of the message boards. There are progress reports and pitfalls also. I'll just hang in there!

Re: Hi Carol, check below

Cynthia D on 3/01/01 at 08:54 (040160)

I'll check again before I leave today to see if you have any more questions....not that I'm an expert, but we're in the same boat.

Re: progress report

Lori E. on 3/01/01 at 17:13 (040216)

Here is my report after my 2nd ESWT on 2-8. I have had 4 level 2 pain days. But the first two were in the first week and then it was another 2 weeks before I had another 2 level pain day. I know this because I have been charting my pain levels to see what triggers higher pain. It seems as if the progress is rollercoastery. So stick with your aftercare plan.
I seem to make the mistake of wanting to do stuff when my foot is feeling better and then suffering a setback. The last two level 2 pain days I did nothing! I am so proud of myself for not sabotoging my progress.
Hang in there! Remember that the reports say that the most progress is usually 6-8 weeks after treatment. I know it is hard to be paitient, but being a somewhat impatient person myself I am beginnig to see the light.

Lori E. on 3/02/01 at 21:30 (040313)

Lori,

I plan to have ESWT in early April. What was your after care plan. Particularly, the days immediately following the procedure.

Thank you,
Camilla

Karin L. on 3/04/01 at 08:38 (040388)

Hi all. I am 2 months post ESWT. My Dr. here in St. Louis used the OssaTron machine & I can honestly say, that from the moment I stood up after coming out of sedation, the procedure was done in an out pt. surgery center, I literally put my trusty tennis shoes on with the inserts & walked from the wheelchair to the car! PAIN FREE! I have not had the pain that I previously had & I have dealing with this PF for 2 yrs. I too had been through all the conservative treatment as well as the PF release surgery. At this point my pain is a '0'. I am able to do all activities. I am waiting for June to get here as I now have PF in my other foot. The only restrictions were to take it easy for the first 4 weeks & to then progress with 'baby steps'. Hope this helps...good luck!

Karin L. on 3/04/01 at 13:16 (040411)

Karin,

When did you have the PF release surgery? Why do they think that it didn't work?

Did you take time off work? If so, how much time?
Were you told to avoid steps?

I have had PF for 5.5 years and used all the conservative treatments. During this time I've made four trips to Europe. This past summer I carried a backpack with my 14 year old neice. I am a nurse and spend 95% of the time on my feet. PF has slowed me down. I refuse to let it stop me. My job requires a lot of planning before I can take time off. Even though my timing might stink I've planned a trip back to Europe one week after my ESWT treatment. I am staying at someones home and it will be a leisurely visit, no backpacking. The traveling will be less walking than I do at work. Do you think I should cancel?

What kind of sedation did you use?

Thanks for the encouragement. I've decided that my response to the ESWT will be equally as successful as yours.

Camilla

Karin L. on 3/04/01 at 16:00 (040422)

Camilla,
Good attitude you have...keep it up, that's half the battle. If you're planning a trip to Europe right after your ESWT, go SLOW. I pretty much stayed off my feet for the first month. Just did what had to be done around the house. That's a tough call to make about cancelling a trip to Europe...I know what those trips are like, I've been 8 times. If you have been there before & have seen the sights, you could just relax, but I guess if it were me...I would think seriously about it. What is the machine that will be used. Is it the OssaTron? As for what drugs that were used for my sedation, I don't know. I do know that my Dr. had to stop the procedure because I pulled my foot away from the machine due to pain he told me. He had the anesthetist (sp) put me under deeper so he could finish the procedure. I am an Occupational Therapist, so understand how much you are on your feet. I also know how much time you will be on your feet in Europe. I guess the bottom line is this...think about the trip carefully. I would hate to see you go through this procedure & then do too much walking & not give your foot the time it needs to heal. This procedure, although it is a non invasive surgery, it is still considered 'surgery'. You still have to allow time to heal. The healing they say takes place between week 6 & week 12. Good luck with your decision & with your procedure. If I can help you further, please don't hesitate to ask. I've included my email if that is easier for you.

Karin L. on 3/04/01 at 16:07 (040423)

Didn't see the first part of your note.
PF release surger was April, 2000. My Dr. really doesn't know why it didn't work, some do some don't. I had tarsal tunnel decompression at the same time & I have just started to get that same feeling of numbness & slight tingling back in the same foot! I'm a stay at home Mom, but like I said, I was pretty much off my feet for the first month. I just happened to think, why don't you go to Europe & then when you get back, have the ESWT done? That way you won't be undoing what the procedure does. As for steps, wasn't told anything about them that I remember...just used my own judgement. I didn't go upstairs during the day, saved that for when I put my daughter to bed at night, our bedroom is on the first floor. If you have any more questions, I will be happy to help if I can.

Kay S on 3/04/01 at 20:53 (040433)

Hi Karin
I too am a nurse and can certainly understand the strain this pain puts on your ability to do your job. (I sometimes am thinking about my feet when I should be thinking about how I am going to get the rest of my work done!)
I have had pf, among other foot problems, for almost five years. I've had all the conservative and some not-so-conservative treatments without much success. I had my first ESWT in December and the second a few weeks ago. After the first tx. I did notice some slight improvement, though I was on the 'healing roller coaster' along with many of the other patients treated with ESWT. However, I know that I was better than before I had the treatment. My bad days aren't quite as bad, and every once in awhile I have a decent day, though I have a long way to go. Since the second tx, there hasn't been that much change so far, but I do expect that in the next few weeks I will start seeing some improvement. I waited about 8 weeks between the two treatments. Now if I need another one I will wait the full twelve weeks just to see how far I have progressed and to give it more time.
I think all of us are very, very different in how we tolerate the actual treatment. I was never any worse off than before I went, except for the day of the actual treatment when I'd be sore. But I still did the same activities I always do. I am conscious of needing to have more time off my feet and I try to be careful about that, but I had to force myself to sit sometimes when there were things that I felt I needed to do. I have been so used to the pain that I guess as long as it was never any worse, I just put up with it. I never used crutches, though some others have needed to do that. I was lucky enough to have some cooperative co-workers who traded with me so I could do the one job in our department whice requires sitting. I know I couldn't be a nurse on the floor again because that is BRUTAL for someone with foot problems, to say the least.
I sometimes think that we tend to 'work through' too much. Maybe that is why we are still suffering after all this time. I wonder if I would be cured if I had stayed off work for a few months. The money I have spent in treatments, inserts, orthotics, co-pays, therapies, deductibles, etc. etc. etc. is way more than my salary would have been for those months, that's for sure. But hindsight is always 20-20, isn't it?
If I can answer any questions, feel free to ask away!
Kay

Julie on 3/01/01 at 08:33 (040152)

Hi Carol

While you're waiting for those who've experienced ESWT to wake up/get home from work, may I suggest that you browse through the ESWT board - there have been lots of recent posts from recoverers - and do a search for older reports too. Although I haven't had the treatment myself, I've read enough about it from the patients and doctors on the board to know that a week is NOTHING - much too soon to start worrying. Dr Z has always said that the main healing takes place between six and twelve weeks. So be heartened and use this time to get plenty of rest and do things you like to do without being on your feet.

All the best for your healing, which I'm sure will happen.

Julie

Carol D on 3/01/01 at 08:37 (040153)

Thanksk Julie -- I've read most of the message boards. There are progress reports and pitfalls also. I'll just hang in there!

Re: Hi Carol, check below

Cynthia D on 3/01/01 at 08:54 (040160)

I'll check again before I leave today to see if you have any more questions....not that I'm an expert, but we're in the same boat.

Lori E. on 3/01/01 at 17:13 (040216)

Here is my report after my 2nd ESWT on 2-8. I have had 4 level 2 pain days. But the first two were in the first week and then it was another 2 weeks before I had another 2 level pain day. I know this because I have been charting my pain levels to see what triggers higher pain. It seems as if the progress is rollercoastery. So stick with your aftercare plan.
I seem to make the mistake of wanting to do stuff when my foot is feeling better and then suffering a setback. The last two level 2 pain days I did nothing! I am so proud of myself for not sabotoging my progress.
Hang in there! Remember that the reports say that the most progress is usually 6-8 weeks after treatment. I know it is hard to be paitient, but being a somewhat impatient person myself I am beginnig to see the light.

Lori E. on 3/02/01 at 21:30 (040313)

Lori,

I plan to have ESWT in early April. What was your after care plan. Particularly, the days immediately following the procedure.

Thank you,
Camilla

Karin L. on 3/04/01 at 08:38 (040388)

Hi all. I am 2 months post ESWT. My Dr. here in St. Louis used the OssaTron machine & I can honestly say, that from the moment I stood up after coming out of sedation, the procedure was done in an out pt. surgery center, I literally put my trusty tennis shoes on with the inserts & walked from the wheelchair to the car! PAIN FREE! I have not had the pain that I previously had & I have dealing with this PF for 2 yrs. I too had been through all the conservative treatment as well as the PF release surgery. At this point my pain is a '0'. I am able to do all activities. I am waiting for June to get here as I now have PF in my other foot. The only restrictions were to take it easy for the first 4 weeks & to then progress with 'baby steps'. Hope this helps...good luck!

Karin L. on 3/04/01 at 13:16 (040411)

Karin,

When did you have the PF release surgery? Why do they think that it didn't work?

Did you take time off work? If so, how much time?
Were you told to avoid steps?

I have had PF for 5.5 years and used all the conservative treatments. During this time I've made four trips to Europe. This past summer I carried a backpack with my 14 year old neice. I am a nurse and spend 95% of the time on my feet. PF has slowed me down. I refuse to let it stop me. My job requires a lot of planning before I can take time off. Even though my timing might stink I've planned a trip back to Europe one week after my ESWT treatment. I am staying at someones home and it will be a leisurely visit, no backpacking. The traveling will be less walking than I do at work. Do you think I should cancel?

What kind of sedation did you use?

Thanks for the encouragement. I've decided that my response to the ESWT will be equally as successful as yours.

Camilla

Karin L. on 3/04/01 at 16:00 (040422)

Camilla,
Good attitude you have...keep it up, that's half the battle. If you're planning a trip to Europe right after your ESWT, go SLOW. I pretty much stayed off my feet for the first month. Just did what had to be done around the house. That's a tough call to make about cancelling a trip to Europe...I know what those trips are like, I've been 8 times. If you have been there before & have seen the sights, you could just relax, but I guess if it were me...I would think seriously about it. What is the machine that will be used. Is it the OssaTron? As for what drugs that were used for my sedation, I don't know. I do know that my Dr. had to stop the procedure because I pulled my foot away from the machine due to pain he told me. He had the anesthetist (sp) put me under deeper so he could finish the procedure. I am an Occupational Therapist, so understand how much you are on your feet. I also know how much time you will be on your feet in Europe. I guess the bottom line is this...think about the trip carefully. I would hate to see you go through this procedure & then do too much walking & not give your foot the time it needs to heal. This procedure, although it is a non invasive surgery, it is still considered 'surgery'. You still have to allow time to heal. The healing they say takes place between week 6 & week 12. Good luck with your decision & with your procedure. If I can help you further, please don't hesitate to ask. I've included my email if that is easier for you.

Karin L. on 3/04/01 at 16:07 (040423)

Didn't see the first part of your note.
PF release surger was April, 2000. My Dr. really doesn't know why it didn't work, some do some don't. I had tarsal tunnel decompression at the same time & I have just started to get that same feeling of numbness & slight tingling back in the same foot! I'm a stay at home Mom, but like I said, I was pretty much off my feet for the first month. I just happened to think, why don't you go to Europe & then when you get back, have the ESWT done? That way you won't be undoing what the procedure does. As for steps, wasn't told anything about them that I remember...just used my own judgement. I didn't go upstairs during the day, saved that for when I put my daughter to bed at night, our bedroom is on the first floor. If you have any more questions, I will be happy to help if I can.

Kay S on 3/04/01 at 20:53 (040433)

Hi Karin
I too am a nurse and can certainly understand the strain this pain puts on your ability to do your job. (I sometimes am thinking about my feet when I should be thinking about how I am going to get the rest of my work done!)
I have had pf, among other foot problems, for almost five years. I've had all the conservative and some not-so-conservative treatments without much success. I had my first ESWT in December and the second a few weeks ago. After the first tx. I did notice some slight improvement, though I was on the 'healing roller coaster' along with many of the other patients treated with ESWT. However, I know that I was better than before I had the treatment. My bad days aren't quite as bad, and every once in awhile I have a decent day, though I have a long way to go. Since the second tx, there hasn't been that much change so far, but I do expect that in the next few weeks I will start seeing some improvement. I waited about 8 weeks between the two treatments. Now if I need another one I will wait the full twelve weeks just to see how far I have progressed and to give it more time.
I think all of us are very, very different in how we tolerate the actual treatment. I was never any worse off than before I went, except for the day of the actual treatment when I'd be sore. But I still did the same activities I always do. I am conscious of needing to have more time off my feet and I try to be careful about that, but I had to force myself to sit sometimes when there were things that I felt I needed to do. I have been so used to the pain that I guess as long as it was never any worse, I just put up with it. I never used crutches, though some others have needed to do that. I was lucky enough to have some cooperative co-workers who traded with me so I could do the one job in our department whice requires sitting. I know I couldn't be a nurse on the floor again because that is BRUTAL for someone with foot problems, to say the least.
I sometimes think that we tend to 'work through' too much. Maybe that is why we are still suffering after all this time. I wonder if I would be cured if I had stayed off work for a few months. The money I have spent in treatments, inserts, orthotics, co-pays, therapies, deductibles, etc. etc. etc. is way more than my salary would have been for those months, that's for sure. But hindsight is always 20-20, isn't it?
If I can answer any questions, feel free to ask away!
Kay