Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is anyone ever really cured?

Posted by Paula G. on 3/01/01 at 10:53 (040181)

I have not belonged to this message board for very long and have been doing lots and lots of reading on heel spurs and PF. My understanding seems to be that a person is never really cured. By that I mean, you get better and can be pain free, but the PF is always there ready to flare up again?
Because it is basically not the spurs that cause the pain but the fascia?

Re: Is anyone ever really cured?

Bill E on 3/01/01 at 16:03 (040208)

Paula,

I have been reading the PF book and posts here for about 4 months and have almost reached the same conclusion. However, my goal is to be completely cured so I am holding the hope that such is possible. I keep pushing back the date for my return to running because I won't do it until I am confident that it won't reinjure me. I hope that you get some responses where folks say that they are now fine. Unfortunately, those guys are probably on the road, running marathons and not responding here!

Let's keep our fingers crossed!
Bill

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/01/01 at 17:57 (040223)

You can be cured with one of the following . stretching, orthosis, rest,
physical therapy , ESWT , foot surgery. Yes there are people that are prone to repeat pf episodes and who will not get cured. There are alot of other treatment sorry if I left any out.

I will tell you thing Pf is a disease that can take the life out of the poor soul who is in the group that either doesn't get better or takes forever to get better.

I still can't believe that the medical profession thinks that we doctors are doing our job when we say that pf will take six to nine months to get better . That to Dr. Z is a very very long time.

janet C. on 3/01/01 at 20:21 (040232)

Is PF considered a DISEASE? What is the definition of a disease?

~J.

Julie on 3/02/01 at 03:08 (040250)

I think it depends on what caused the PF in the first place. I'd guess that sudden-injury-onset PF has a very good chance of going away forever once the injury has healed. I'm not sure about other cases. I'd guess that if there have been factors that have predisposed you to PF (there are many - in my case they are slightly flat feet, over-pronation, and advanced age) you are probably going to have to be vigilant forever. The factors the predisposed you to PF will go on predisposing you to PF and its sisters and brothers, the tendonitises: they won't just go away when the pain goes away. Of course you can deal with the predisposing factors (e.g. custom orthotics for flat feet and over-pronation) but I think you probably have to keep dealing with them, which means keeping aware of them.

Perhaps I'm overly pessimistic (am I, Dr Z?). But I've accepted that this is something I am going to have to be aware of for the rest of my life, and it doesn't seem like a big deal.

Julie

Paula G. on 3/02/01 at 08:02 (040257)

Thanks, Bill. I tend to agree with you. I find myself not walking right from habit and fear now. I am using the night splints and am waiting to get orthotics, but I am optomistic. Just that old 'fear' after being in such horrible pain for so long.....I guess as long as you have the heel spurs, that we will always be predisposed to flare ups of PF. But, hopefully not as severe as we were in the beginning. We are so much smarter and know what is happening....
I wish everyone with this problem could find this site. I have learned so much...Not having to depend upon doctors but can find for myself the information I crave.
I have found that podiatrists are much more caring and understanding than my ortho doctors I went to. It just depends upon who they are. I guess that is why there are so many doctors. Not one is good for all.

Brian G on 3/02/01 at 10:34 (040266)

Yes, I do believe some people are cured. They then drift away from message boards like these, and you no longer hear from them, jmoho. They are on with their lives, while we hang on searching for that elusive cure.

Brian G

Julie on 3/02/01 at 11:38 (040270)

Paula, I'm sorry if my earlier post sounded negative. I didn't intend it to. Look at it this way: although the predisposing factors won't just go away when the pain goes away, they can be dealt with, and we'll have to keep dealing with them. In other words: keep wearing good shoes, don't throw the orthotics away, don't start running barefoot again...

Stay aware. It's vital to see reality as it really is. That's not negative, it's realistic. I've been around the board long enough to have realized that several people who were got better, and then left, and presumably resumed their old life style, have come back with relapses.

I dearly hope you get better. I hope we all do, but I do think it's - at least partly - up to us to see that we don't get worse again.

Julie

john h on 3/02/01 at 11:50 (040272)

yes there are people cured. thousands if not millions. i have read that there are from 6 mil to 3 mil new pf cases each year. the vast majority are cured with conservative measures very quickly (6 months) and then there is the 5% of us who become chronic. it seems the longer you have it the more difficult it is to cure it.

JudyS on 3/02/01 at 19:56 (040301)

Paula, the number we tend to hear most often for the cure rate of PF is 90%....so yes, lots of folks reach a cure! The rest, like myself, may well have to work at 'managing' their PF forever. I've had it for just about 3 years and today am at least 75-80% better than I was a year ago. But I'm also more and more certain that, unless I decide to do ESWT or surgery, I will be one who will be susceptable to relapse.

john h on 3/03/01 at 19:03 (040367)

i have had pf for around 7 years. i think i am better but i sometimes wonder if i may have adjusted to the pain?

Re: I agree too.

Paula G. on 3/05/01 at 09:13 (040447)

I hear you on that. I was doing pretty well with the help I have been getting. Then, I worked in the yard for 2 1/2 hours on Saturday. I am back to my cane and limping around again.
The hardest thing about it is feeling so crippled so much of the time. You are right. Adapting to the pain sometimes...

Re: JOHN H

diane on 3/12/01 at 12:55 (041163)

are you a chronic case of pf,,if so is there anything you do that helps. i to am chronic its been over a yr for me.

Annette on 5/01/01 at hrmin (046389)

well I have had PF since Feb of 199, as I was training and ran my first marathon, I still ran a 2nd marathon and then raced for
the entire summer afte........, until I could barely walk( I had no idea what my problem was, If I only knew!!!!!!) since then I have gotten better and I am
just about pain free, until I am on my feet for a while, wear the wrong kind of shoe, or run. Sometimes I feel like this will
never go away, what ever I try, just doesnt seem to do the trick, and all want to do is run...... But then again I get a glimmer of hope and I think that I am going to beat this some day, so I try somethingn else thats new . I just think that I have not found what it is that my foot needs to heal. I will keep reading, and checking in to see what has helped everyone else. But I tell you what.....ESWT is starting to sound pretty good to me right now, I just have to read a little more about it.
So yes...I think that it is possible to be cured, we just have to find out what is right for each one of us. Good luck everyone.

Bill E on 3/01/01 at 16:03 (040208)

Paula,

I have been reading the PF book and posts here for about 4 months and have almost reached the same conclusion. However, my goal is to be completely cured so I am holding the hope that such is possible. I keep pushing back the date for my return to running because I won't do it until I am confident that it won't reinjure me. I hope that you get some responses where folks say that they are now fine. Unfortunately, those guys are probably on the road, running marathons and not responding here!

Let's keep our fingers crossed!
Bill

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/01/01 at 17:57 (040223)

You can be cured with one of the following . stretching, orthosis, rest,
physical therapy , ESWT , foot surgery. Yes there are people that are prone to repeat pf episodes and who will not get cured. There are alot of other treatment sorry if I left any out.

I will tell you thing Pf is a disease that can take the life out of the poor soul who is in the group that either doesn't get better or takes forever to get better.

I still can't believe that the medical profession thinks that we doctors are doing our job when we say that pf will take six to nine months to get better . That to Dr. Z is a very very long time.

janet C. on 3/01/01 at 20:21 (040232)

Is PF considered a DISEASE? What is the definition of a disease?

~J.

Julie on 3/02/01 at 03:08 (040250)

I think it depends on what caused the PF in the first place. I'd guess that sudden-injury-onset PF has a very good chance of going away forever once the injury has healed. I'm not sure about other cases. I'd guess that if there have been factors that have predisposed you to PF (there are many - in my case they are slightly flat feet, over-pronation, and advanced age) you are probably going to have to be vigilant forever. The factors the predisposed you to PF will go on predisposing you to PF and its sisters and brothers, the tendonitises: they won't just go away when the pain goes away. Of course you can deal with the predisposing factors (e.g. custom orthotics for flat feet and over-pronation) but I think you probably have to keep dealing with them, which means keeping aware of them.

Perhaps I'm overly pessimistic (am I, Dr Z?). But I've accepted that this is something I am going to have to be aware of for the rest of my life, and it doesn't seem like a big deal.

Julie

Paula G. on 3/02/01 at 08:02 (040257)

Thanks, Bill. I tend to agree with you. I find myself not walking right from habit and fear now. I am using the night splints and am waiting to get orthotics, but I am optomistic. Just that old 'fear' after being in such horrible pain for so long.....I guess as long as you have the heel spurs, that we will always be predisposed to flare ups of PF. But, hopefully not as severe as we were in the beginning. We are so much smarter and know what is happening....
I wish everyone with this problem could find this site. I have learned so much...Not having to depend upon doctors but can find for myself the information I crave.
I have found that podiatrists are much more caring and understanding than my ortho doctors I went to. It just depends upon who they are. I guess that is why there are so many doctors. Not one is good for all.

Brian G on 3/02/01 at 10:34 (040266)

Yes, I do believe some people are cured. They then drift away from message boards like these, and you no longer hear from them, jmoho. They are on with their lives, while we hang on searching for that elusive cure.

Brian G

Julie on 3/02/01 at 11:38 (040270)

Paula, I'm sorry if my earlier post sounded negative. I didn't intend it to. Look at it this way: although the predisposing factors won't just go away when the pain goes away, they can be dealt with, and we'll have to keep dealing with them. In other words: keep wearing good shoes, don't throw the orthotics away, don't start running barefoot again...

Stay aware. It's vital to see reality as it really is. That's not negative, it's realistic. I've been around the board long enough to have realized that several people who were got better, and then left, and presumably resumed their old life style, have come back with relapses.

I dearly hope you get better. I hope we all do, but I do think it's - at least partly - up to us to see that we don't get worse again.

Julie

john h on 3/02/01 at 11:50 (040272)

yes there are people cured. thousands if not millions. i have read that there are from 6 mil to 3 mil new pf cases each year. the vast majority are cured with conservative measures very quickly (6 months) and then there is the 5% of us who become chronic. it seems the longer you have it the more difficult it is to cure it.

JudyS on 3/02/01 at 19:56 (040301)

Paula, the number we tend to hear most often for the cure rate of PF is 90%....so yes, lots of folks reach a cure! The rest, like myself, may well have to work at 'managing' their PF forever. I've had it for just about 3 years and today am at least 75-80% better than I was a year ago. But I'm also more and more certain that, unless I decide to do ESWT or surgery, I will be one who will be susceptable to relapse.

john h on 3/03/01 at 19:03 (040367)

i have had pf for around 7 years. i think i am better but i sometimes wonder if i may have adjusted to the pain?

Re: I agree too.

Paula G. on 3/05/01 at 09:13 (040447)

I hear you on that. I was doing pretty well with the help I have been getting. Then, I worked in the yard for 2 1/2 hours on Saturday. I am back to my cane and limping around again.
The hardest thing about it is feeling so crippled so much of the time. You are right. Adapting to the pain sometimes...

Re: JOHN H

diane on 3/12/01 at 12:55 (041163)

are you a chronic case of pf,,if so is there anything you do that helps. i to am chronic its been over a yr for me.

Annette on 5/01/01 at hrmin (046389)

well I have had PF since Feb of 199, as I was training and ran my first marathon, I still ran a 2nd marathon and then raced for
the entire summer afte........, until I could barely walk( I had no idea what my problem was, If I only knew!!!!!!) since then I have gotten better and I am
just about pain free, until I am on my feet for a while, wear the wrong kind of shoe, or run. Sometimes I feel like this will
never go away, what ever I try, just doesnt seem to do the trick, and all want to do is run...... But then again I get a glimmer of hope and I think that I am going to beat this some day, so I try somethingn else thats new . I just think that I have not found what it is that my foot needs to heal. I will keep reading, and checking in to see what has helped everyone else. But I tell you what.....ESWT is starting to sound pretty good to me right now, I just have to read a little more about it.
So yes...I think that it is possible to be cured, we just have to find out what is right for each one of us. Good luck everyone.