Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

More comment on the email feature/one problem

Posted by Nancy N on 3/01/01 at 11:31 (040188)

Scott--

I have been using the email feature you added and I think it's great. I do still read almost everything on the boards, but it lets me know when someone has responded to a question I've asked, so when I'm anxious for a response, it's very helpful. I don't think a return email address shows up in the emails the site sends out, so I don't see why there would be a problem with discussions happening off-line. I would always want to reply here for the benefit of both myself and others--the more people participating in a discussion, the more we all get out of it. I suspect we all understand that. And for people who don't have web access as readily available, I think this is a boon--it allows them to participate more fully than they might otherwise be able to do.

One thing I've noticed, though--well, two actually. First, the check-boxes for keeping a message out of the archives have disappeared. What's the scoop?

The email-related problem is this, though. I normally don't want my address to be visible (I don't want to invite spam any more than I have to), so I choose to have it hidden from view. That works really well on a message-by-message basis, but I just noticed that, if I view the same message individually, and then as part of the thread, my address is available in the thread! Is that the way it's supposed to be? I was really surprised that the thread would show my address when the single message does not.

So those are my comments/questions. Overall, I think it's a great addition--those who want to use it can use it, and those who don't can ignore it. I think everyone wins that way.

Re: More comment on the email feature/one problem

Scott R on 3/02/01 at 08:43 (040259)

Nancy, it appears I have a bug in the email thing which causes the email address to show up in the threads. Also, I am getting undelivered email showing that people are trying to respond, but for a couple of reasons, the messages are not making it and they never know that their message was not read. Also, you don't receive all the responses to your posts. Only those that reply to your top message. Because of the errors and the false sense that the system actually works, I have to take it off.

Re: test

Scott R on 3/02/01 at 08:52 (040261)

test

Nancy N on 3/02/01 at 10:08 (040264)

So the email-response system is gone now? Is there any chance you can replace it with something else?

Thanks for all your efforts. They're very much appreciated.

Scott R on 3/02/01 at 10:26 (040265)

Nancy, yes, it's gone now. I had to do something right away because it was making email addresses visible when it was claiming that they would be hidden. The problem of people not receiving responses when there actually were responses is also pretty serious. This last problem is too hard to fix. It would take at least a day's worth of work to fix and test everything.

Kim B. on 3/04/01 at 23:42 (040444)

Scott,

I don't know where you are getting the impression that only one person responded positively to the email notification feature. I read a lot more 'kudos' regarding it.

I, for one, thought it was a huge step in the right direction and 2 other persons that I correspond with semi-regularly were delighted with it too. I really thought that it was general knowlwedge that it was a big hit and a real winner. It's worth the effort and learning curve! I would much rather have it the way it was working, than have my email adress sitting out for a spam buffet, btw.

I think you are throwing out the baby with the bath water here. 'So' it had a bug or two. Big deal, Microsoft Windows had bugs, and will always have bugs to repair becuase that is the nature of PROGRESS!

I may be missing a big piece of the puzzle, but I and most of the others here, are smart enought to know that second generation posts won't notify the original poster, and I have to post within and under the person I would like to rely to.

Oh, well, it's your baby, Name your little boy 'Sue', and dress your little girl in ugly clothes! Whatever!

Kim B. :-)

Scott R on 3/02/01 at 08:43 (040259)

Nancy, it appears I have a bug in the email thing which causes the email address to show up in the threads. Also, I am getting undelivered email showing that people are trying to respond, but for a couple of reasons, the messages are not making it and they never know that their message was not read. Also, you don't receive all the responses to your posts. Only those that reply to your top message. Because of the errors and the false sense that the system actually works, I have to take it off.

Re: test

Scott R on 3/02/01 at 08:52 (040261)

test

Nancy N on 3/02/01 at 10:08 (040264)

So the email-response system is gone now? Is there any chance you can replace it with something else?

Thanks for all your efforts. They're very much appreciated.

Scott R on 3/02/01 at 10:26 (040265)

Nancy, yes, it's gone now. I had to do something right away because it was making email addresses visible when it was claiming that they would be hidden. The problem of people not receiving responses when there actually were responses is also pretty serious. This last problem is too hard to fix. It would take at least a day's worth of work to fix and test everything.

Kim B. on 3/04/01 at 23:42 (040444)

Scott,

I don't know where you are getting the impression that only one person responded positively to the email notification feature. I read a lot more 'kudos' regarding it.

I, for one, thought it was a huge step in the right direction and 2 other persons that I correspond with semi-regularly were delighted with it too. I really thought that it was general knowlwedge that it was a big hit and a real winner. It's worth the effort and learning curve! I would much rather have it the way it was working, than have my email adress sitting out for a spam buffet, btw.

I think you are throwing out the baby with the bath water here. 'So' it had a bug or two. Big deal, Microsoft Windows had bugs, and will always have bugs to repair becuase that is the nature of PROGRESS!

I may be missing a big piece of the puzzle, but I and most of the others here, are smart enought to know that second generation posts won't notify the original poster, and I have to post within and under the person I would like to rely to.

Oh, well, it's your baby, Name your little boy 'Sue', and dress your little girl in ugly clothes! Whatever!

Kim B. :-)