Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How does PF surgery rate?

Posted by Pauline on 3/01/01 at 12:19 (040193)

What percent of patients having PF release surgery go on to live totally without foot pain or complications caused by the original PF
release surgery? What percentage of patients continue to require long term treatment be it orthotics, additional surgery, or pain control as a result of having their PF released. It appears that everyone posting that has had PF release surgery continues to have some problem afterward.
Understandably it does take time to heal from the surgery, but it seems that by having the surgery they simply exchange one set of problems for another. Their PF pain never really goes away it is only shadowed by additional pain and continual problems in other areas of the foot.

Since Surgery is an option I think Scott needs to begin documentation
on patients results and satisfaction.

Re: How does PF surgery rate?

Dr. Marlene Reid on 3/02/01 at 01:13 (040246)

Statistically, approx 90-95% of patients with PF do very well with conservative treatment. Of those that do require surgery, only 70-75% of those will have full or almost full relief. That is why we are all so excited about ESWT!!

Amy on 3/02/01 at 12:29 (040281)

Can ESWT be used for an ankle spur? How does an ankle spur form? I have one on the inside ankle, right side on the bottom of the heel. I'll try you Dr. Reid - the others have not answered my questions. Thanks.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/02/01 at 13:49 (040283)

The ankle spur can't be removed with ESWT.

Amy on 3/03/01 at 10:35 (040331)

What are the complications from ankle spur removal that you know of Dr. Z?

DR. Zuckerman on 3/03/01 at 11:54 (040342)

Now I am assuming that the joint itself is fine and no problems within the joint ifself.

1. infection (rare)
2. Lost of motion or decrease motion where you will need extensive physical therapy

3. Return or the problem.

4. No relief from the surgery

Dr. Reid on 3/12/01 at 01:32 (041116)

Hi Amy, sorry for the delay, I've been out of town.

The risks of spur removal specifically have more to do with the location of the spur, ie is it in or very near the joint surface and/or is it in or near a tendon. The real risk in removing spurs anywhere, is that it will open up the joint (if associated with a joint) and could cause an INCREASE in abnormal motion of that joint. This is especially true in the middle of the foot, where often a fusion is better then spur removal. Simply removing bone spuring not involved in a joint or tendon has very little risk other than general risks associated with surgery (infection, reactin to anesthesia, etc). Hope this helped.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 3/02/01 at 01:13 (040246)

Statistically, approx 90-95% of patients with PF do very well with conservative treatment. Of those that do require surgery, only 70-75% of those will have full or almost full relief. That is why we are all so excited about ESWT!!

Amy on 3/02/01 at 12:29 (040281)

Can ESWT be used for an ankle spur? How does an ankle spur form? I have one on the inside ankle, right side on the bottom of the heel. I'll try you Dr. Reid - the others have not answered my questions. Thanks.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/02/01 at 13:49 (040283)

The ankle spur can't be removed with ESWT.

Amy on 3/03/01 at 10:35 (040331)

What are the complications from ankle spur removal that you know of Dr. Z?

DR. Zuckerman on 3/03/01 at 11:54 (040342)

Now I am assuming that the joint itself is fine and no problems within the joint ifself.

1. infection (rare)
2. Lost of motion or decrease motion where you will need extensive physical therapy

3. Return or the problem.

4. No relief from the surgery

Dr. Reid on 3/12/01 at 01:32 (041116)

Hi Amy, sorry for the delay, I've been out of town.

The risks of spur removal specifically have more to do with the location of the spur, ie is it in or very near the joint surface and/or is it in or near a tendon. The real risk in removing spurs anywhere, is that it will open up the joint (if associated with a joint) and could cause an INCREASE in abnormal motion of that joint. This is especially true in the middle of the foot, where often a fusion is better then spur removal. Simply removing bone spuring not involved in a joint or tendon has very little risk other than general risks associated with surgery (infection, reactin to anesthesia, etc). Hope this helped.