Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Are these orthotics actually working!?

Posted by wendyn on 3/03/01 at 01:43 (040318)

Richard - I am pleasantly surprised to report that I am up to almost total orthotic wear now....and my foot pain/back pain is dropping DRAMATICALLY. I find this almost too good to be true. The only new pain I've noticed (of course I thought of after I had my orthotic check yesterday) is a pain sort of in the inner groin area - and I usually notice it when I stretch at the gym. Do you think this could be from the orthotics?

I was impressed that at the follow up, the doctor took the orthotics out and carefully studied them and the inside of my shoe. He noticed one spot where he thought it was wearing slightly more on one side than the other - and he ground that down the make it level.

Hoping that I can contiune to report on progress....

Re: Are these orthotics actually working!?

Richard, C.Ped on 3/03/01 at 08:17 (040324)

Thats great news Wendy! That is what I want to hear. I doubt the new pain is from the orthosis. You may have just over stretched a little. That happens to me from time to time.

Great news.
Richard

JudyS on 3/03/01 at 13:52 (040348)

Such good news, Wendy! Have you told us previously what kind of orthotics they are and where you got them?

Beverly on 3/03/01 at 16:28 (040355)

Wendy,

Your success makes me wonder if I didn't ditch my last pair of orthodics too quickly or perhaps they were the wrong kind for me. Could you refresh my memory and tell me what kind of orthodic you got and how many times did you get it adjusted?
Thanks,
Beverly

wendyn on 3/03/01 at 17:13 (040357)

I don't know exactly what they're made of - they are semi rigid - 3/4 length with a soft padding (full length) on top. The were made by a podiatrist who comes highly recommended by other pods and some friends.

Big differences with this one.....

The orthotic exam/casting etc took about 45 minutes this time, probably longer - last pod did a less than 5 minute assessment before casting.

This time, the POD casted my feet - NOT his assistant.

He seems very dedicated to this part of his work, and he constantly reminds me that it is his job to get it right. He is not only interested in finding me orthotics that I can wear, if I can tolerate them he would like to try slowly modifying and increasing the correction so that the benefits will be greater and perhaps better in the long run.

I was impressed that he very carefully checked the shoes and orthotics to ensure that they are fitting properly....maybe he and Richard went to the same school because they seem to take the same pride in their work (I love perfectionists!)

What I notice most is how much less lower back pain I have. Really quite remarkable at this point...BUT...I have had improvements and set backs before - really too early to say yet exactly how much this means.

wendyn on 3/03/01 at 17:18 (040358)

Beverly - see my response to Judy, only one adjustment so far and that was because the doctor noticed a spot wearing wrong so he levelled it out. I will switch to wearing them all the time as soon as my new shoes get here (some time this week). I will be able to determine then a little better what's going on.

I also pushed harder on the bike this week - did a cardio program instead of just the 'fat burner' my legs really felt it - and I didn't get my heart right up as high as I should have, I was reluctant to push my legs and feet too hard. But, I definately upped the intensity and no negative effects yet. I've come a long way from last summer when I could only pedal very slowly for 4 to 5 minutes. Lately I've been doing 20 to 25 minutes, getting a heart rate of about 137 bpm, and going about 8 miles. It's been a long slow process but I feel like I'm at least getting better instead of worse.

Richard, C.Ped on 3/03/01 at 08:17 (040324)

Thats great news Wendy! That is what I want to hear. I doubt the new pain is from the orthosis. You may have just over stretched a little. That happens to me from time to time.

Great news.
Richard

JudyS on 3/03/01 at 13:52 (040348)

Such good news, Wendy! Have you told us previously what kind of orthotics they are and where you got them?

Beverly on 3/03/01 at 16:28 (040355)

Wendy,

Your success makes me wonder if I didn't ditch my last pair of orthodics too quickly or perhaps they were the wrong kind for me. Could you refresh my memory and tell me what kind of orthodic you got and how many times did you get it adjusted?
Thanks,
Beverly

wendyn on 3/03/01 at 17:13 (040357)

I don't know exactly what they're made of - they are semi rigid - 3/4 length with a soft padding (full length) on top. The were made by a podiatrist who comes highly recommended by other pods and some friends.

Big differences with this one.....

The orthotic exam/casting etc took about 45 minutes this time, probably longer - last pod did a less than 5 minute assessment before casting.

This time, the POD casted my feet - NOT his assistant.

He seems very dedicated to this part of his work, and he constantly reminds me that it is his job to get it right. He is not only interested in finding me orthotics that I can wear, if I can tolerate them he would like to try slowly modifying and increasing the correction so that the benefits will be greater and perhaps better in the long run.

I was impressed that he very carefully checked the shoes and orthotics to ensure that they are fitting properly....maybe he and Richard went to the same school because they seem to take the same pride in their work (I love perfectionists!)

What I notice most is how much less lower back pain I have. Really quite remarkable at this point...BUT...I have had improvements and set backs before - really too early to say yet exactly how much this means.

wendyn on 3/03/01 at 17:18 (040358)

Beverly - see my response to Judy, only one adjustment so far and that was because the doctor noticed a spot wearing wrong so he levelled it out. I will switch to wearing them all the time as soon as my new shoes get here (some time this week). I will be able to determine then a little better what's going on.

I also pushed harder on the bike this week - did a cardio program instead of just the 'fat burner' my legs really felt it - and I didn't get my heart right up as high as I should have, I was reluctant to push my legs and feet too hard. But, I definately upped the intensity and no negative effects yet. I've come a long way from last summer when I could only pedal very slowly for 4 to 5 minutes. Lately I've been doing 20 to 25 minutes, getting a heart rate of about 137 bpm, and going about 8 miles. It's been a long slow process but I feel like I'm at least getting better instead of worse.