Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

to Camilla, what I do post ESWT

Posted by Lori E. on 3/03/01 at 14:57 (040351)

Camilla,
My post treatment involves the following:
No stairs,I have two sets of steep stairs in my house, I'm now on one level
Using the PFT in the morning before getting up
Self massage as recommended in the PFT book
Heating pad at least once a day, using it when my feet are stiff or sore
Vioxx, I am trying to reduce the amount I use, I am using it about 3x/week
GOOD SHOES, I am still working in this, I have one really decent pair
No heavy lifting
No shopping, I miss Target, Barnes and Noble and the grocery store
Soft thin cushioning inside my shoes, Dr. Z gave me some and it has helped.

Things I can do:
Use my weights sitting down
Yoga, no standing poses, foot stretching poses
Cook using a kitchen stool
Go to school, using a handicap permit, reducing walking blocks on campus

I guess the key is LISTEN TO YOUR FEET. Don't overdo it, don't walk around for blocks or stand for hours. Just rest them as much as you can and get some really really good shoes.

Re: to Camilla, what I do post ESWT

Lori E. on 3/04/01 at 12:52 (040403)

Lori,

What ia a PFT book?

How soon after ESWT were you allowed to walk on the foot? Did you use crutches? or a hard sole walking boot?

Did you have a nerve block or any other kind of anesthesia?

I've used daily dosing of Indocin SR 75mg and can't wait to reduce my usage. I'm a nurse and hate taking pills.

Good shoes I have. I also wear custom orhtotics. The best shoes I have found to fit with the orthotics are THINK!, NAOT, New Balance 841 and some Birkenstock that have a removable inner-sole. All the shoes are expensive, most european, and yet they wear like iron.

Did you wear an orthotic prior to ESWT?

I've also found an unusual therapy that really helps release the tightness of connective tissue and fascia in my lower leg, ankles and feet. It's called Rolfing. Check the Internet for a rolfer in your area. The therapy is performed by a specially trained rolfer. Some physical therapist might also perform.

Can you swim, ride a stationary bike?

How long since your treatment? How many treatment? The length between treatments? Did you do one or both feet?

Thanks alot for the information.
Camilla

Jill P on 3/04/01 at 16:28 (040425)

Camilla, I had ESWT a week ago Friday, and I am still using crutches at 8 days post treatment (we bought a pair after borrowing them in NJ from my cousin worked well right after the treatment). I would think being a nurse, you would want to take some time off, probably at least a couple weeks since you use need to be on your feet. I was told to rest my foot as much as possible for a couple weeks. (I opted to have just my worst one done as the healing rates seemed better if you only do one at a time. Right now, I am really glad that I have only done one foot because I need my other foot to bear my weight if I need to stand.) Also I think that the more you can rest after, the better your chances are of improving from the treatment.

My treated foot varies during the day from being achy or hurting in the heel to being crampy in the arch or on the side of the little toe down in the middle. I have driven a couple times but because my right foot was treated and it's my 'driving' foot, I find that my foot gets tired and crampy from using it to press the pedals. I am going to cancel my dentist appoint for Tuesday and reschedule because it's a 40 minute drive each way. I know I either can't do that much driving or that even if I made it through, it would probably set me back. I'm sticking to short trips when necessary near home. So far that has only been to preschool one day last week and to drive through Taco Bell just to get out of the house for a few minutes yesterday!

Today is the first day that I have been able to walk even close to normal for a few steps around the house. I am being careful not to stress my foot too much because I don't want to pay for it tomorrow. I went to my children's school and used the wheel chair because it's a big building and we're way at the back. The handicap parking permit has been a life savor for making the trip to school (so far the only place I've ventured alone) and now I am wondering if the one month permit will be long enough. (I had thought I would only need it a couple weeks but didn't realize how intense this was going to be and now I am thinking I might need longer than a month to heal.) Jeff took us out to eat Friday night dropping me at the door to go in with crutches, and then to the video store and grocery store but I rode in my grandma's old wheel chair with my toddler on my lap. It was nice to get out of the house!

In addition to resting as much as I can with two small children, I am doing about 4 hot soaks each day. I am hoping I will notice some real progress soon but trying to be patient as they said some people feel better right after ESWT while others need a few weeks or longer to notice an improvement. Keep us posted on your situation and treatment! Jill

Re: to Camilla, answers to your questions

Lori E. on 3/05/01 at 18:52 (040492)

The PFT book is the booklet you get with the Personal Foot Trainer. I walked right after my treatment. My feet felt great that day right after treatment. I didn't have any nerve block or pain meds except the Vioxx I usually take. Now I am doing the roller coaster recovery dance. I have some pain level days that are a 4, some a 3, and occasionally a 2.
I have some hard soled Born boots that I have been wearing alot. I also got some Dansko Solvei shoes today on sale. They passed the bend test, they do not bend at all from the heel past the arch area. I tried on some Think! sandals today. I just love them, but they were too expensive to buy just now. I will get a pair in the next month or so. They felt so good, but boy are they hard to find.
I wore an orthodic prior to my ESWT, but they don't help and Dr. Z said to stop wearing them, so I did. Now I am constantly looking for good shoes.
It is now almost 4 weeks since my last ESWT. My first treatment was on Dec. 16th, and I got a second treatment the next day. I have been counting those as one treatment in my mind, but I suppose it counts as two. I have had all treatments done on both feet.

Re: to Lori

Camilla on 3/05/01 at 21:07 (040509)

Lori,

Internet shoe company Zapppos,com. They carry most of the shoes you mentioned. I order a THINK! sandle from them last summer. Look at Naot too. I think they are similar company to Dansko. Also consider Nordstrom's (you can find them on-line if there isn't one close to you)... they carry a wide variety of shoes, sizes and widths. I wear an orhtotic and can't find any Born shoes that have removable inner sole.

My ESWT treatment is scheduled for April 3...only the left heel. My left foot is worse than the right. Reading all these messages about the different treatment intervals makes me want to have my doctor be more agressive and do both heels close to each other. The equipment is new to St. Louis and although I'm not his first patient he hasn't had much experience with it. I'm positive that this will reduce my pain and get me off the NSAIDS.

When is your next treatment? How many do they plan and what is the frequency?

Camilla

Re: to Camilla,

Lori E. on 3/05/01 at 21:40 (040514)

Thanks for the info on finding shoes. I check Nordstrom on-line pretty regularly, but I haven't heard of Zappos.com. Since I don't wear orthodics now, I find the Born boots almost right, but not quite.
Good luck at your ESWT treatment. Hopefully this will be my last treatment. I am going to give it the full 12 weeks this time and give it time to see if there is some improvement. I think the spacing of the treatments is dealt with on an individual basis, check with your doctor.

Cynthia D on 3/06/01 at 11:30 (040565)

Hi Camilla: I had ESWT on both feet 4 weeks ago. I would like to hear how your recovery time differs if you do one foot at a time. I know you are a nurse and want to have a speedy recovery. Did your doctor say he recommends one foot at a time or was he willing to do both?

Re: to Cynthia,

Camilla on 3/06/01 at 19:02 (040644)

Cynthia,

ESWT equipment is new in St. Louis. My treatment is not my doctors maiden voyage. He suggested doing the worse foot first. I think he's still developing a treament sequence. Reading this message board gives me the impression that there isn't one thought process that the equipment manufacturer recommends. My doctors is a well trusted orthopod that is attending seminars and keeps current on the latest and greatest...so I just have to trust in his judgement.

My life runs in the fast lane. I plan to slow down and give it the six to twelve weeks that most everyone says is necessary. I split my work time between a nursing staff position on a Women's Health unit and working in a physicians office. The floor has a concrete surface and I go..go..go..pound..pound..pound. The office is somewhat of a slowed pace. We'll see!

I've got a trip to Europe planned for April 10 and I think I'm going to delay the treatment until after I get back. I'd like to be one of those that has immediate relief after one sessions. I'll accept that it will take longer and 'do the time'...hence the delay.

I'll keep in touch.

Camilla

Cynthia D on 3/07/01 at 16:47 (040737)

It's probably a good idea to postpone treatment until after your trip. I wish I had done more right before I had mine...just one more tennis match (even though it sent me spiraling downward with pain afterwards!)? Oh well, at least I'll be out on the other side sooner. I'm sure we'll speak before then, but have a wonderful trip.

Kay S on 3/09/01 at 15:22 (040895)

CynthiaD--In case you are still wanting some 'company' in your post-ESWT frustration, here I am! I am almost four weeks post-ESWT (my second one) in both feet. Last time I started noticing some slight improvement after about 3-4 weeks. This time it has been slower and I am still having quite a bit of pain and am not back yet to how my feet were feeling right before the second treatment, which wasn't that great.........but better than now. I expect to get better but it sure isn't happening fast enough for me this time. I think I just want a sign that things will improve!
I have no intention of giving up and still think I will begin to improve soon. For me, there is a very fine line between what I can tolerate and what is unbearable. When the pain was mixed in with some relief here and there, my attitude was better. Lately, I haven't seen any relief and now I think I am starting to wear down again. I am back to thinking about my feet night and day without a break. And they are so BORING I can't stand myself. I notice every little twinge, it seems. When I get out of the car and take a step, I am judging if it feels worse or better than fifteen minutes ago.
Yes, I will really appreciate it WHEN things start looking up. I hope that happens for both of us at the same time..........soon!
Kay

Lori E. on 3/04/01 at 12:52 (040403)

Lori,

What ia a PFT book?

How soon after ESWT were you allowed to walk on the foot? Did you use crutches? or a hard sole walking boot?

Did you have a nerve block or any other kind of anesthesia?

I've used daily dosing of Indocin SR 75mg and can't wait to reduce my usage. I'm a nurse and hate taking pills.

Good shoes I have. I also wear custom orhtotics. The best shoes I have found to fit with the orthotics are THINK!, NAOT, New Balance 841 and some Birkenstock that have a removable inner-sole. All the shoes are expensive, most european, and yet they wear like iron.

Did you wear an orthotic prior to ESWT?

I've also found an unusual therapy that really helps release the tightness of connective tissue and fascia in my lower leg, ankles and feet. It's called Rolfing. Check the Internet for a rolfer in your area. The therapy is performed by a specially trained rolfer. Some physical therapist might also perform.

Can you swim, ride a stationary bike?

How long since your treatment? How many treatment? The length between treatments? Did you do one or both feet?

Thanks alot for the information.
Camilla

Jill P on 3/04/01 at 16:28 (040425)

Camilla, I had ESWT a week ago Friday, and I am still using crutches at 8 days post treatment (we bought a pair after borrowing them in NJ from my cousin worked well right after the treatment). I would think being a nurse, you would want to take some time off, probably at least a couple weeks since you use need to be on your feet. I was told to rest my foot as much as possible for a couple weeks. (I opted to have just my worst one done as the healing rates seemed better if you only do one at a time. Right now, I am really glad that I have only done one foot because I need my other foot to bear my weight if I need to stand.) Also I think that the more you can rest after, the better your chances are of improving from the treatment.

My treated foot varies during the day from being achy or hurting in the heel to being crampy in the arch or on the side of the little toe down in the middle. I have driven a couple times but because my right foot was treated and it's my 'driving' foot, I find that my foot gets tired and crampy from using it to press the pedals. I am going to cancel my dentist appoint for Tuesday and reschedule because it's a 40 minute drive each way. I know I either can't do that much driving or that even if I made it through, it would probably set me back. I'm sticking to short trips when necessary near home. So far that has only been to preschool one day last week and to drive through Taco Bell just to get out of the house for a few minutes yesterday!

Today is the first day that I have been able to walk even close to normal for a few steps around the house. I am being careful not to stress my foot too much because I don't want to pay for it tomorrow. I went to my children's school and used the wheel chair because it's a big building and we're way at the back. The handicap parking permit has been a life savor for making the trip to school (so far the only place I've ventured alone) and now I am wondering if the one month permit will be long enough. (I had thought I would only need it a couple weeks but didn't realize how intense this was going to be and now I am thinking I might need longer than a month to heal.) Jeff took us out to eat Friday night dropping me at the door to go in with crutches, and then to the video store and grocery store but I rode in my grandma's old wheel chair with my toddler on my lap. It was nice to get out of the house!

In addition to resting as much as I can with two small children, I am doing about 4 hot soaks each day. I am hoping I will notice some real progress soon but trying to be patient as they said some people feel better right after ESWT while others need a few weeks or longer to notice an improvement. Keep us posted on your situation and treatment! Jill

Re: to Camilla, answers to your questions

Lori E. on 3/05/01 at 18:52 (040492)

The PFT book is the booklet you get with the Personal Foot Trainer. I walked right after my treatment. My feet felt great that day right after treatment. I didn't have any nerve block or pain meds except the Vioxx I usually take. Now I am doing the roller coaster recovery dance. I have some pain level days that are a 4, some a 3, and occasionally a 2.
I have some hard soled Born boots that I have been wearing alot. I also got some Dansko Solvei shoes today on sale. They passed the bend test, they do not bend at all from the heel past the arch area. I tried on some Think! sandals today. I just love them, but they were too expensive to buy just now. I will get a pair in the next month or so. They felt so good, but boy are they hard to find.
I wore an orthodic prior to my ESWT, but they don't help and Dr. Z said to stop wearing them, so I did. Now I am constantly looking for good shoes.
It is now almost 4 weeks since my last ESWT. My first treatment was on Dec. 16th, and I got a second treatment the next day. I have been counting those as one treatment in my mind, but I suppose it counts as two. I have had all treatments done on both feet.

Re: to Lori

Camilla on 3/05/01 at 21:07 (040509)

Lori,

Internet shoe company Zapppos,com. They carry most of the shoes you mentioned. I order a THINK! sandle from them last summer. Look at Naot too. I think they are similar company to Dansko. Also consider Nordstrom's (you can find them on-line if there isn't one close to you)... they carry a wide variety of shoes, sizes and widths. I wear an orhtotic and can't find any Born shoes that have removable inner sole.

My ESWT treatment is scheduled for April 3...only the left heel. My left foot is worse than the right. Reading all these messages about the different treatment intervals makes me want to have my doctor be more agressive and do both heels close to each other. The equipment is new to St. Louis and although I'm not his first patient he hasn't had much experience with it. I'm positive that this will reduce my pain and get me off the NSAIDS.

When is your next treatment? How many do they plan and what is the frequency?

Camilla

Lori E. on 3/05/01 at 21:40 (040514)

Thanks for the info on finding shoes. I check Nordstrom on-line pretty regularly, but I haven't heard of Zappos.com. Since I don't wear orthodics now, I find the Born boots almost right, but not quite.
Good luck at your ESWT treatment. Hopefully this will be my last treatment. I am going to give it the full 12 weeks this time and give it time to see if there is some improvement. I think the spacing of the treatments is dealt with on an individual basis, check with your doctor.

Cynthia D on 3/06/01 at 11:30 (040565)

Hi Camilla: I had ESWT on both feet 4 weeks ago. I would like to hear how your recovery time differs if you do one foot at a time. I know you are a nurse and want to have a speedy recovery. Did your doctor say he recommends one foot at a time or was he willing to do both?

Camilla on 3/06/01 at 19:02 (040644)

Cynthia,

ESWT equipment is new in St. Louis. My treatment is not my doctors maiden voyage. He suggested doing the worse foot first. I think he's still developing a treament sequence. Reading this message board gives me the impression that there isn't one thought process that the equipment manufacturer recommends. My doctors is a well trusted orthopod that is attending seminars and keeps current on the latest and greatest...so I just have to trust in his judgement.

My life runs in the fast lane. I plan to slow down and give it the six to twelve weeks that most everyone says is necessary. I split my work time between a nursing staff position on a Women's Health unit and working in a physicians office. The floor has a concrete surface and I go..go..go..pound..pound..pound. The office is somewhat of a slowed pace. We'll see!

I've got a trip to Europe planned for April 10 and I think I'm going to delay the treatment until after I get back. I'd like to be one of those that has immediate relief after one sessions. I'll accept that it will take longer and 'do the time'...hence the delay.

I'll keep in touch.

Camilla

Cynthia D on 3/07/01 at 16:47 (040737)

It's probably a good idea to postpone treatment until after your trip. I wish I had done more right before I had mine...just one more tennis match (even though it sent me spiraling downward with pain afterwards!)? Oh well, at least I'll be out on the other side sooner. I'm sure we'll speak before then, but have a wonderful trip.

Kay S on 3/09/01 at 15:22 (040895)

CynthiaD--In case you are still wanting some 'company' in your post-ESWT frustration, here I am! I am almost four weeks post-ESWT (my second one) in both feet. Last time I started noticing some slight improvement after about 3-4 weeks. This time it has been slower and I am still having quite a bit of pain and am not back yet to how my feet were feeling right before the second treatment, which wasn't that great.........but better than now. I expect to get better but it sure isn't happening fast enough for me this time. I think I just want a sign that things will improve!
I have no intention of giving up and still think I will begin to improve soon. For me, there is a very fine line between what I can tolerate and what is unbearable. When the pain was mixed in with some relief here and there, my attitude was better. Lately, I haven't seen any relief and now I think I am starting to wear down again. I am back to thinking about my feet night and day without a break. And they are so BORING I can't stand myself. I notice every little twinge, it seems. When I get out of the car and take a step, I am judging if it feels worse or better than fifteen minutes ago.
Yes, I will really appreciate it WHEN things start looking up. I hope that happens for both of us at the same time..........soon!
Kay