Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

4 weeks post op

Posted by marie r on 3/03/01 at 16:21 (040353)

Hi Everyone, well it will be 4 wks Monday since my surgery. I am still not able to walk or take a step. I am not in any pain except for when I try to put weight on that foot. I am still on crutches, but at least now I am better able to use them. My doctor told me probably 6 weeks for weight bearing but I was so excited to read Donna's posting about walking at 4 1/2 weeks I figured I should be able to as well. I am a little discouraged but I try to bear in mind that the doctor did say it would be a long and slow healing process. I am still in less pain than before surgery as long as I am not trying to walk. Before surgery I was in pain on or off my feet so that is encouraging. It seems like other postings I read say they are walking or at least weight bearing at 2 to 3 weeks. I guess everyone heals differently. I am 42 so I don't think it would be because of my age. NOt too old but not so young. Well good luck to those undergoing this surgery. I really don't think you will regret it, just know it is a long healing process. I am just too impatient. God Bless all.

Re: 4 weeks post op

Terry on 3/03/01 at 21:43 (040377)

It's good to hear you have such a positive attitude. I am having surgeru on March 14th. My doctor seems to think I will be partial weight bearing in 1-2 weeks. I don't believe that. I am prepared for a slow recovery period. Glad to hear you are doing well and do not regret having the surgery. Keep us updated. As mine gets closer I get more and more nervous so it is good to hear some positive comments. Good Luck To You.

marie r on 3/04/01 at 11:47 (040400)

Terry, I was the same way. I had even come very close to postponing my surgery. I was totally freaked out especially the closer the date approached. Even tho I am not walking or even taking steps for that matter now I do not regret it. I was in far less pain after surgery than before. Everyday is better, I just need to learn to be patient. I have never been an extremely patient person. Totally recovery is going to happen. Hang in there. I was scared to death of the post op pain and I had none. I had an excellent ortho surgeon. I follow up with him on the 15th. It just takes time. good luck.

Crystal on 3/05/01 at 10:41 (040450)

Terry--
I had surgery on the 21st and my doctor told me that I would be on crutches for a couple of days and that I could then get rid of them. I am still on crutches yet I am putting weight on my foot. I just can't walk with out the crutches. But when putting wieght on my foot with the crutches the pain is hardly even noticed. Occasionally I can feel a little bit of pulling but that is all. But before my surgery I also kept it in my head that the recovery would be slower than was said. I think that it all depends on the individual in many ways.
Crystal

Terry on 3/03/01 at 21:43 (040377)

It's good to hear you have such a positive attitude. I am having surgeru on March 14th. My doctor seems to think I will be partial weight bearing in 1-2 weeks. I don't believe that. I am prepared for a slow recovery period. Glad to hear you are doing well and do not regret having the surgery. Keep us updated. As mine gets closer I get more and more nervous so it is good to hear some positive comments. Good Luck To You.

marie r on 3/04/01 at 11:47 (040400)

Terry, I was the same way. I had even come very close to postponing my surgery. I was totally freaked out especially the closer the date approached. Even tho I am not walking or even taking steps for that matter now I do not regret it. I was in far less pain after surgery than before. Everyday is better, I just need to learn to be patient. I have never been an extremely patient person. Totally recovery is going to happen. Hang in there. I was scared to death of the post op pain and I had none. I had an excellent ortho surgeon. I follow up with him on the 15th. It just takes time. good luck.

Crystal on 3/05/01 at 10:41 (040450)

Terry--
I had surgery on the 21st and my doctor told me that I would be on crutches for a couple of days and that I could then get rid of them. I am still on crutches yet I am putting weight on my foot. I just can't walk with out the crutches. But when putting wieght on my foot with the crutches the pain is hardly even noticed. Occasionally I can feel a little bit of pulling but that is all. But before my surgery I also kept it in my head that the recovery would be slower than was said. I think that it all depends on the individual in many ways.
Crystal