Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Antinuclear Antibody Test

Posted by Carlw on 3/05/01 at 18:04 (040484)

Hello everybody, A long time reader but infrequent poster

Has any body else out there been tested for AntiNuclear Antibodies? My PF has been dragging on for over a year and my podiatrist has just shared the results of this recently ordered test with me. I have tested postive with a 'score' of 1:640 (homogeneous and speckled pattern). Her basic explanation is that my autoimmune system has over responded and instead of helping me heal it has hurt me. Her inital diagnois is 'general connective tissue disorder'. From what I have read, this seems like a plausible reason why some of us are able to be healed and others are not given the same treatment problems. The condition does not seem that rare based on my limited research and combining it with a pesky problem like PF that is hard to get rid of under the best of scenarios, may explain why some of us have more difficutly shaking it that others. She has ordered more testing and I will share the results. If the tests are confirmed I will possibly begin to purse treatments through an immunologist.

Re: Antinuclear Antibody Test

wendyn on 3/05/01 at 19:04 (040494)

I believe this is one of the other first tests usually done for unexplained foot pain...I believe it may relate to Lupus but I am not sure - have had it done a few times myself. I'm glad that they're getting to the root of your problem so that you can get treatment that will work for you.

Brian G on 3/06/01 at 11:51 (040569)

I had a urine test for 'heavy metals'. It's not the same thing is it? Since I've never heard of this test, I'm wondering what the treatment is. Thanks for any more info you may want to post.

Regards
Brian G

wendyn on 3/06/01 at 13:35 (040598)

I believe the test is for Lupus - it is a blood test. I think it's essentially a sign that your body is basically attacking itself. I had the test done when I was about 15, and I believe 2x again in the last 3 years.

Carlw on 3/06/01 at 13:52 (040608)

This blood test from what I have found out so far it is a screening test for a variety of immune disorders , Lupus being one of them and can also show up positive in Rheumatoid arthrits. By itself it does not definitively diagnose anything but can point you in the right direction.

john h on 3/07/01 at 14:58 (040727)

'connective tissue disorder' ? my wife's oncologist called her arthritis 'cologen disease'! i questioned him on this and he said he considered them one and the same. many years ago a doctor told me i had 'degenerative disc disease'! never heard of it and i could visualize my disc crumbling away. doctors should be careful when they change the name of a common disorder to one which will have an imaginative patient thinking they are on the way out!

john h on 3/07/01 at 15:01 (040728)

some heavy metals in the blood can be very serious. usually they are ingested though some very unusual circumstance. your water supply next to a toxic dump for instance. i read of a case where a wife was slowly poisoning her spouse with a heavy metal. are you treating your wife good?

john h on 3/07/01 at 15:10 (040729)

some other sources of heavy metals in the body (1) the old silver fillings they once used in your teeth (2) eating fish from contaminated waters who absorb the metals (3) some even question whether you should use the natural fish oil supplimnet as opposed to the synthetic fish oil. heavy metals are almost impossible for your body to get rid of (PCB's,mercury,etc).

Cynthia D on 3/07/01 at 16:33 (040735)

This is a very interesting thought pattern. Can you tell me exactly what your doctor tested for? I just received my total blood work up today from my annual check up and would like to check to see if these levels are reflected there. If we could find something chemically causing our pf not to heal, wouldn't it be great to have this answer? I also have wondered why some people seem to bounce right out of having pf while those of us here have a harder time shaking it. There must be some kind of connection. Hmmmm...

Brian G on 3/08/01 at 06:50 (040793)

This is exactlly why I had my doc test me for heavy metals, as I had been exposed to the chemicals in Agent Orange. It was just one more thing I wanted to rule out. It came back negative, but I still believe the thoery might have some merit.

BG

john h on 5/02/01 at 09:46 (046412)

'general connective tissue disorder'? this seems like a very general diagnosis which could range from arthritis, cologen disease,etc. ask your doctor if he can be more specific. i remember about 25 years ago my doctor told me i had 'degenerative disc disease'! i thought i was dying when he said that. i learned later on that we are all going to have degenerative disc disease if we live long enough. doctors should explain in very clear language to patients when they throw out terms that may not be familiar to the average person.

Kim B. on 5/02/01 at hrmin (046416)

Hi Carl W.

Wow, what an interesting post! Thanks for sharing the info. It makes a lot of sense to me. Fibromyalgia (FM) is a connective tissue disorder as well. I have FM along with my PF.

Do you have an unusual amount of body wide pain? Sort of like a bad flu kind of achyness, all the time, especially stiff in the morning, sprain easily, heal slowly? I hope you DON'T have FM. Maybe your doc is on the ball, and is cathing it early. I learned the hard way that ignoring it won't make it go away. It sets up residence in your tissues. Your doc sounds like a real investigative kind of doc who doesn't mind digging deep for the answers. That is a very good thing.

So, what is the prognosis? I'm so curious what her treatment plan will turn out to be. Do you mind sharing it? Please feel free to e-mail me, (click on my blue name above, for an automatic link, btw) or, be sure to post info here regarding what else your doc finds out.

I am very interested as it may help me get rid of the FM, which I suspect is the true culprit in my PF. Thanks again for the informative post.

Regards, Kim B.

Carlw on 5/02/01 at hrmin (046419)

This was a post I made about 1 month ago. Since then I have been for follow up tests with an 'internal medicine doctor'. An ANA test is a non specific test. Basically if you have positive levels they have to dig a little deeper to see what it matches up with. My podiatrist gave the inital diagnois of mixed connective tissue disorder (who I am in the process of punting) and after doing some research into it basically had me totally freaked out for about 2 weeks. I have been tested for a variety of ailments and so far nothing has turned up. I still believe that our internal unique physiology is a big reason why some heel sooner than others.

BrianG on 5/02/01 at 10:52 (046420)

Hi Kim,

I'm not sure Carl will see this. The original post was from back in March. It came to the top when 'the glitch' happened. Hopefully he'll stop back in and see it.

BCG

Re: Duh... :-) Thanks Brian and Carl. eom.

Kim B. on 5/02/01 at 10:56 (046421)

eom = end of message.

wendyn on 3/05/01 at 19:04 (040494)

I believe this is one of the other first tests usually done for unexplained foot pain...I believe it may relate to Lupus but I am not sure - have had it done a few times myself. I'm glad that they're getting to the root of your problem so that you can get treatment that will work for you.

Brian G on 3/06/01 at 11:51 (040569)

I had a urine test for 'heavy metals'. It's not the same thing is it? Since I've never heard of this test, I'm wondering what the treatment is. Thanks for any more info you may want to post.

Regards
Brian G

wendyn on 3/06/01 at 13:35 (040598)

I believe the test is for Lupus - it is a blood test. I think it's essentially a sign that your body is basically attacking itself. I had the test done when I was about 15, and I believe 2x again in the last 3 years.

Carlw on 3/06/01 at 13:52 (040608)

This blood test from what I have found out so far it is a screening test for a variety of immune disorders , Lupus being one of them and can also show up positive in Rheumatoid arthrits. By itself it does not definitively diagnose anything but can point you in the right direction.

john h on 3/07/01 at 14:58 (040727)

'connective tissue disorder' ? my wife's oncologist called her arthritis 'cologen disease'! i questioned him on this and he said he considered them one and the same. many years ago a doctor told me i had 'degenerative disc disease'! never heard of it and i could visualize my disc crumbling away. doctors should be careful when they change the name of a common disorder to one which will have an imaginative patient thinking they are on the way out!

john h on 3/07/01 at 15:01 (040728)

some heavy metals in the blood can be very serious. usually they are ingested though some very unusual circumstance. your water supply next to a toxic dump for instance. i read of a case where a wife was slowly poisoning her spouse with a heavy metal. are you treating your wife good?

john h on 3/07/01 at 15:10 (040729)

some other sources of heavy metals in the body (1) the old silver fillings they once used in your teeth (2) eating fish from contaminated waters who absorb the metals (3) some even question whether you should use the natural fish oil supplimnet as opposed to the synthetic fish oil. heavy metals are almost impossible for your body to get rid of (PCB's,mercury,etc).

Cynthia D on 3/07/01 at 16:33 (040735)

This is a very interesting thought pattern. Can you tell me exactly what your doctor tested for? I just received my total blood work up today from my annual check up and would like to check to see if these levels are reflected there. If we could find something chemically causing our pf not to heal, wouldn't it be great to have this answer? I also have wondered why some people seem to bounce right out of having pf while those of us here have a harder time shaking it. There must be some kind of connection. Hmmmm...

Brian G on 3/08/01 at 06:50 (040793)

This is exactlly why I had my doc test me for heavy metals, as I had been exposed to the chemicals in Agent Orange. It was just one more thing I wanted to rule out. It came back negative, but I still believe the thoery might have some merit.

BG

john h on 5/02/01 at 09:46 (046412)

'general connective tissue disorder'? this seems like a very general diagnosis which could range from arthritis, cologen disease,etc. ask your doctor if he can be more specific. i remember about 25 years ago my doctor told me i had 'degenerative disc disease'! i thought i was dying when he said that. i learned later on that we are all going to have degenerative disc disease if we live long enough. doctors should explain in very clear language to patients when they throw out terms that may not be familiar to the average person.

Kim B. on 5/02/01 at hrmin (046416)

Hi Carl W.

Wow, what an interesting post! Thanks for sharing the info. It makes a lot of sense to me. Fibromyalgia (FM) is a connective tissue disorder as well. I have FM along with my PF.

Do you have an unusual amount of body wide pain? Sort of like a bad flu kind of achyness, all the time, especially stiff in the morning, sprain easily, heal slowly? I hope you DON'T have FM. Maybe your doc is on the ball, and is cathing it early. I learned the hard way that ignoring it won't make it go away. It sets up residence in your tissues. Your doc sounds like a real investigative kind of doc who doesn't mind digging deep for the answers. That is a very good thing.

So, what is the prognosis? I'm so curious what her treatment plan will turn out to be. Do you mind sharing it? Please feel free to e-mail me, (click on my blue name above, for an automatic link, btw) or, be sure to post info here regarding what else your doc finds out.

I am very interested as it may help me get rid of the FM, which I suspect is the true culprit in my PF. Thanks again for the informative post.

Regards, Kim B.

Carlw on 5/02/01 at hrmin (046419)

This was a post I made about 1 month ago. Since then I have been for follow up tests with an 'internal medicine doctor'. An ANA test is a non specific test. Basically if you have positive levels they have to dig a little deeper to see what it matches up with. My podiatrist gave the inital diagnois of mixed connective tissue disorder (who I am in the process of punting) and after doing some research into it basically had me totally freaked out for about 2 weeks. I have been tested for a variety of ailments and so far nothing has turned up. I still believe that our internal unique physiology is a big reason why some heel sooner than others.

BrianG on 5/02/01 at 10:52 (046420)

Hi Kim,

I'm not sure Carl will see this. The original post was from back in March. It came to the top when 'the glitch' happened. Hopefully he'll stop back in and see it.

BCG

Re: Duh... :-) Thanks Brian and Carl. eom.

Kim B. on 5/02/01 at 10:56 (046421)

eom = end of message.