Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT after a PF release?

Posted by Michelle H. on 3/05/01 at 21:12 (040510)

Does anyone know anything about ESWT after a pf release? It's been one year since my failed surgery.I try to stay active, but this condition is so painful that some days I do the bear minimum.
I was looking in Montreal since I live in VT, for the ESWT. Does anyone know anything about the Dornier machine?

Re: ESWT after a PF release?

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/05/01 at 21:17 (040512)

I have done ESWT after failed pf surgery. I have one that is pain free. One still in the post-ESWT period. Another that is doing well afte pf release, TTS surgery. The pain was so bad that the patient had a dorsal column stimulator placed into his back. He is still under the ''12 weeek period. So if there is still insertiional pain then ESWT is a very good consideration. Dornier I believe is a low energy machine. I have no data or information abou the Dornier. I would think that you should would have to contact the company directly.

IF you have any additional questions feel free to contact Dr. Z or ask anyone question on this board.

Karin L. on 3/06/01 at 12:58 (040581)

Hi Michelle,
I too had PF release surgery as well as TTS decompression last April. The surgery for PF failed & I ended up doing the ESWT in Dec. I am at about 9 weeks post-op. From the time I walked out of the surgery center until now I am pain free. I can't begin to tell you how please I am with this, this is the first time in 2 yrs. that I have been without pain. The machine that was used is the OssaTron. Good luck & if I can help further, please don't hesitate to ask.

JudyS on 3/06/01 at 13:33 (040595)

Karin, I know you've probably already told us this so I apologize in advance, but, where did you have your OssoTron done?

sharon f on 3/06/01 at 15:49 (040622)

Could you tell me where and who performed your ESWT?

Karin L. on 3/07/01 at 13:52 (040718)

I am in St. Louis & the ESWT was done through Health South. My Dr. is Karl Collins with ParkCrest Surgical. If I can help further please let me know.

john h on 3/07/01 at 15:16 (040730)

no problem with ESWT after a PF release michelle. i had the ESWT about one year after my PF release.

Brian G on 3/08/01 at 08:04 (040797)

Hi Karen,

I have a couple, three questions. Did your insurance cover the ESWT? How many treatments did you have, How long were you in pain before the ESWT? And finally, was the healing an immediate thing, or did it take awhile? Whew, thanks in advance.

BG

Karin L. on 3/08/01 at 10:09 (040799)

Brian,
I thought insurance covered it, there was a mistake made when the claim was filed...my Dr.'s office put down that the surgery was done in an 'ambulance'...they meant ambulatory center. Just refiled, so I won't know for a few weeks. I have United Health Choice Plus. The machine was the OssaTron so only had one treatment. This started in March of '99, had the PF release & TTS surgery in April '00 & then ESWT end of Dec. In all, I guess I had pain for about 18 months. Amazingly, the pain was GONE from the time I walked from the wheelchair to the car! The healing actually takes place between week 6 and week 12. Maybe I was lucky or maybe my case was not as bad as others, I don't know, but I am thankful that this was the solution for me. Can't wait to have my other foot done!!
Hope this helps. Good luck.

Brian G on 3/09/01 at 07:30 (040862)

Thanks Karin, I appreciate your reply. Your are a poster person for ESWT!

BG

Cynthia D on 3/09/01 at 09:08 (040877)

Karin, you continue to inspire me as I wait for my treatment to kick in. I hope your second foot recovers as quickly.

Brian, I made an insurance claim recently to Blue Cross. Dr. Zuckerman provided me with his own claim form, as well as a letter explaining in great detail what the treatment entailed and what my condition was leading up to treatment. I sent that with my claim, as well. It will be interesting to see what happens. They have been pretty good so far paying for all my pf treatments including physical therapy. So you think you're going to do ESWT?

Dr. Marlene Reid on 3/12/01 at 01:54 (041118)

Yes, ESW is used after failed surgery, In fact, that is one of the indications for use of the Ossatron. I have heard that the Dornier will be getting FDA approval for PF within the next year.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/05/01 at 21:17 (040512)

I have done ESWT after failed pf surgery. I have one that is pain free. One still in the post-ESWT period. Another that is doing well afte pf release, TTS surgery. The pain was so bad that the patient had a dorsal column stimulator placed into his back. He is still under the ''12 weeek period. So if there is still insertiional pain then ESWT is a very good consideration. Dornier I believe is a low energy machine. I have no data or information abou the Dornier. I would think that you should would have to contact the company directly.

IF you have any additional questions feel free to contact Dr. Z or ask anyone question on this board.

Karin L. on 3/06/01 at 12:58 (040581)

Hi Michelle,
I too had PF release surgery as well as TTS decompression last April. The surgery for PF failed & I ended up doing the ESWT in Dec. I am at about 9 weeks post-op. From the time I walked out of the surgery center until now I am pain free. I can't begin to tell you how please I am with this, this is the first time in 2 yrs. that I have been without pain. The machine that was used is the OssaTron. Good luck & if I can help further, please don't hesitate to ask.

JudyS on 3/06/01 at 13:33 (040595)

Karin, I know you've probably already told us this so I apologize in advance, but, where did you have your OssoTron done?

sharon f on 3/06/01 at 15:49 (040622)

Could you tell me where and who performed your ESWT?

Karin L. on 3/07/01 at 13:52 (040718)

I am in St. Louis & the ESWT was done through Health South. My Dr. is Karl Collins with ParkCrest Surgical. If I can help further please let me know.

john h on 3/07/01 at 15:16 (040730)

no problem with ESWT after a PF release michelle. i had the ESWT about one year after my PF release.

Brian G on 3/08/01 at 08:04 (040797)

Hi Karen,

I have a couple, three questions. Did your insurance cover the ESWT? How many treatments did you have, How long were you in pain before the ESWT? And finally, was the healing an immediate thing, or did it take awhile? Whew, thanks in advance.

BG

Karin L. on 3/08/01 at 10:09 (040799)

Brian,
I thought insurance covered it, there was a mistake made when the claim was filed...my Dr.'s office put down that the surgery was done in an 'ambulance'...they meant ambulatory center. Just refiled, so I won't know for a few weeks. I have United Health Choice Plus. The machine was the OssaTron so only had one treatment. This started in March of '99, had the PF release & TTS surgery in April '00 & then ESWT end of Dec. In all, I guess I had pain for about 18 months. Amazingly, the pain was GONE from the time I walked from the wheelchair to the car! The healing actually takes place between week 6 and week 12. Maybe I was lucky or maybe my case was not as bad as others, I don't know, but I am thankful that this was the solution for me. Can't wait to have my other foot done!!
Hope this helps. Good luck.

Brian G on 3/09/01 at 07:30 (040862)

Thanks Karin, I appreciate your reply. Your are a poster person for ESWT!

BG

Cynthia D on 3/09/01 at 09:08 (040877)

Karin, you continue to inspire me as I wait for my treatment to kick in. I hope your second foot recovers as quickly.

Brian, I made an insurance claim recently to Blue Cross. Dr. Zuckerman provided me with his own claim form, as well as a letter explaining in great detail what the treatment entailed and what my condition was leading up to treatment. I sent that with my claim, as well. It will be interesting to see what happens. They have been pretty good so far paying for all my pf treatments including physical therapy. So you think you're going to do ESWT?

Dr. Marlene Reid on 3/12/01 at 01:54 (041118)

Yes, ESW is used after failed surgery, In fact, that is one of the indications for use of the Ossatron. I have heard that the Dornier will be getting FDA approval for PF within the next year.