Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

i had a bunionectomy AND plantar fasciotomy at same time

Posted by claudia c. on 3/05/01 at 21:52 (040516)

Hello and I sure am glad to find this site! I'm a mess! Plantar fascitis was determined to be my problem after six months of heel pain that just kept getting worse; the podiatrist believed that the main cause of the heel spur and pain was the severity of the bunion on the foot...he said the strain on the fascia was immense due to the bunion, and that I should definitely have the bunion removed. He gave me a cortisone shot in the heel but the effect only lasted about a week, so he said he would do the plantar fasciotomy at the same time as the bunionectomy, despite the fact that it is NOT the ideal way to do things. The procedures were performed on January 11 of this year; today is March 6th and I am in so much pain I could just scream. It is the heel pain again, worse than before surgery. I saw the doctor three weeks ago and will see him again this week; three weeks ago he examined my foot and said there was no major scar tissue formation and that i needed to keep the whole foot compressed and take celebrex and that the pain was part of the healing process. Well this is some healing process that's all I can say! I am wearing a surgical 'sock' for compression, wearing sneakers or Birkenstock sandals at home, taking celebrex, doing everything I have been told to do, and I still have the same amount of disability as before. I still take vicadin for pain at night too, although I only take one and it is not every day. I am growing more concerned that perhaps my doctor does not know what is going on......I understood in the beginning that it could take up to three months to feel 'healed', but the pain is so intense that I do not believe I am healing. Is it possible for plantar fascitis to get worse after surgery to fix the problem?f How is this possible? What can I do now? Do I sound desperate?........I am! Thank you so much for any advice you can give me. (Will YOU be my podiatrist?????) By the way, I am female, 48 years old, and definitely overweight.....but the bunion has been with me all my life and HAS gotten much worse during the past six or so years.
Do I just concentrate on getting to a normal weight for me and hope that the pain stops?

Re: i had a bunionectomy AND plantar fasciotomy at same time

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/05/01 at 23:25 (040523)

You really had alot of foot surgery. I still remember twenty years ago in my training problem watching the patient leave the hospital after one of the attending surgeons had done a bunion and heel spur operation on the same foot at the same time. Well I still can see myself pushing her in a wheel chair . You have had alot of foot surgery for your foot. You need to be physical therapy, rest and maybe even a wheel chair. Non-weight bearing is a possibility for you. A hard cast semi-weight bearing is a very good possibility. I don't know exactly what procedures you had but rest rest and very limited weight bearing is the best advice I can give you. Physical therapy is also another very important part of your treatment plan.

claudia on 3/06/01 at 05:40 (040541)

Thank you so much for your fast reply! Funny how my podiatrist told me four days after surgery that I needed to be full weight bearing! He really did; he was annoyed to see me on crutches at my first post-op visit.
His advice all along has been, 'don't do too much but don't baby it'....this advice has NOT been helpful to me. It is somehow reassurring to hear 'this is a LOT of foot surgery at one time'. I sure thought so! I will definitely request physical therapy tomorrow when i see the doc for a check-up if he doesn't say it is a must at this point. I am, needless to say, off my feet most of the time right now....if only because it doesn't hurt AS MUCH then. But thank you for your response....off I go now into another day of living with The Foot.

claudia on 3/06/01 at 05:46 (040542)

Almost forgot some more info about procedures.......the bunion was removed AND the toe straightened; there are two screws holding the toe is place now. The heel procedure has a name I am sure but all I know is he said that when he cut the fascia it absolutely SPRANG, if that is a word!, because it was so incredibly tight. This led him to believe that the procedure was 100% successful.

wendyn on 3/06/01 at 08:29 (040545)

Claudia - your doctor most likely will not be receptive to any suggestions from you. (Doctors do not like patients to tell them anything at all, especially anything they read off the net)

Go and see a foot and ankle orthepedic surgeon (or ask your GP for a referral) - it's time for a second opinion. Have copies of all your records sent to this second doctor, and ask for copies for yourself too.

Please let us know what happens.

claudia on 3/06/01 at 10:30 (040556)

thanks for responding wendyn....i appreciate your advice. you know, come to think of it, the whole outside and top left portion of the foot and the ankle are painful alot of the time too.....and this was all happening before the surgery. i am getting depressed just thinking about this! add this to the winter storm and two feet of snow and isn't life just GRAND??? i'll let you know what the podiatrist says, on his own, tomorrow at my appt. can't wait to see how he tries to explain this all away.

claudia to wendyn on 3/07/01 at 14:52 (040726)

saw my doc today and he says it's just inflammation from having had two procedures and i start physical therapy next week. oh well. guess i just give it a try, right?

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/05/01 at 23:25 (040523)

You really had alot of foot surgery. I still remember twenty years ago in my training problem watching the patient leave the hospital after one of the attending surgeons had done a bunion and heel spur operation on the same foot at the same time. Well I still can see myself pushing her in a wheel chair . You have had alot of foot surgery for your foot. You need to be physical therapy, rest and maybe even a wheel chair. Non-weight bearing is a possibility for you. A hard cast semi-weight bearing is a very good possibility. I don't know exactly what procedures you had but rest rest and very limited weight bearing is the best advice I can give you. Physical therapy is also another very important part of your treatment plan.

claudia on 3/06/01 at 05:40 (040541)

Thank you so much for your fast reply! Funny how my podiatrist told me four days after surgery that I needed to be full weight bearing! He really did; he was annoyed to see me on crutches at my first post-op visit.
His advice all along has been, 'don't do too much but don't baby it'....this advice has NOT been helpful to me. It is somehow reassurring to hear 'this is a LOT of foot surgery at one time'. I sure thought so! I will definitely request physical therapy tomorrow when i see the doc for a check-up if he doesn't say it is a must at this point. I am, needless to say, off my feet most of the time right now....if only because it doesn't hurt AS MUCH then. But thank you for your response....off I go now into another day of living with The Foot.

claudia on 3/06/01 at 05:46 (040542)

Almost forgot some more info about procedures.......the bunion was removed AND the toe straightened; there are two screws holding the toe is place now. The heel procedure has a name I am sure but all I know is he said that when he cut the fascia it absolutely SPRANG, if that is a word!, because it was so incredibly tight. This led him to believe that the procedure was 100% successful.

wendyn on 3/06/01 at 08:29 (040545)

Claudia - your doctor most likely will not be receptive to any suggestions from you. (Doctors do not like patients to tell them anything at all, especially anything they read off the net)

Go and see a foot and ankle orthepedic surgeon (or ask your GP for a referral) - it's time for a second opinion. Have copies of all your records sent to this second doctor, and ask for copies for yourself too.

Please let us know what happens.

claudia on 3/06/01 at 10:30 (040556)

thanks for responding wendyn....i appreciate your advice. you know, come to think of it, the whole outside and top left portion of the foot and the ankle are painful alot of the time too.....and this was all happening before the surgery. i am getting depressed just thinking about this! add this to the winter storm and two feet of snow and isn't life just GRAND??? i'll let you know what the podiatrist says, on his own, tomorrow at my appt. can't wait to see how he tries to explain this all away.

claudia to wendyn on 3/07/01 at 14:52 (040726)

saw my doc today and he says it's just inflammation from having had two procedures and i start physical therapy next week. oh well. guess i just give it a try, right?