Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Where to begin

Posted by Mondeni on 3/06/01 at 10:35 (040559)

The only treatment that had been suggested to me was the icing of my heel which actually worked for a short while. However, my pain has come back with a vengence and I don't know where to begin to ease the pain. By the time I leave work, the pain is so great that I wish I had a wheel chair to go the few yards to the bus stop. Any and all suggestions on where to start and where I can purchase some of these products would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Mondeni

Re: Where to begin

brian G on 3/06/01 at 11:44 (040568)

Hi Mondeni,

I would begin with a doctor, probably a podiatrist. Have you done that yet? I'd want a diagnosis before I started any treatment. Are you wearing good shoes? Cheap and worn out shoes seem to start quite a few problems. Call the doc.

BG

Pauline on 3/06/01 at 13:22 (040589)

After you call the Doctor, begin to read this site from top to bottom.
Begin with Scotts book, then the ESWT pages because this will arm you with the latest information before you get into a Doctors Office.

If PF is your diagnosis know that you can return to this page for opinions, ideas, encouragement, tried treatments and medication, info about exercises and equipment. Don't run for a surgical answer until you have exhausted all other options. By reading you will find that ESWT is considered one of the latest treatments for PF and is now being offered in many locations.

Until your appointment, stay off your feet as much as possible, take over the counter Advil if you are not allergic to it, ice, gently massage your feet and use only very supportive shoes (ie Running Shoes) You can also use an Epson Salt Bath in very warm water for about 15 to 20 minutes/ then immediately put your feet into cold water. Ice cubes not necessary, just tap cold water. This Hot/Cold treatment sometimes helps to stimulate blood flow into that inflammed area which can help with inflammation.

If you have Plantar Fasciitis realize early on that there is no fast cure for it, no magic pill or the rest of us would have taken it.
We all have stories to share and welcome you to Scotts site. Whether you believe it on not, just by posting your on your way to recovery because you took the first step---now all you have to do is to learn more and follow your Doctors treatment.

P.S. Remember there are a lot of Doctors that are eager to treat PF but finding the good ones is the difficult part. Tuck into the back of your mind---you can always get another opinion if you don't like the treatment being offered.

brian G on 3/06/01 at 11:44 (040568)

Hi Mondeni,

I would begin with a doctor, probably a podiatrist. Have you done that yet? I'd want a diagnosis before I started any treatment. Are you wearing good shoes? Cheap and worn out shoes seem to start quite a few problems. Call the doc.

BG

Pauline on 3/06/01 at 13:22 (040589)

After you call the Doctor, begin to read this site from top to bottom.
Begin with Scotts book, then the ESWT pages because this will arm you with the latest information before you get into a Doctors Office.

If PF is your diagnosis know that you can return to this page for opinions, ideas, encouragement, tried treatments and medication, info about exercises and equipment. Don't run for a surgical answer until you have exhausted all other options. By reading you will find that ESWT is considered one of the latest treatments for PF and is now being offered in many locations.

Until your appointment, stay off your feet as much as possible, take over the counter Advil if you are not allergic to it, ice, gently massage your feet and use only very supportive shoes (ie Running Shoes) You can also use an Epson Salt Bath in very warm water for about 15 to 20 minutes/ then immediately put your feet into cold water. Ice cubes not necessary, just tap cold water. This Hot/Cold treatment sometimes helps to stimulate blood flow into that inflammed area which can help with inflammation.

If you have Plantar Fasciitis realize early on that there is no fast cure for it, no magic pill or the rest of us would have taken it.
We all have stories to share and welcome you to Scotts site. Whether you believe it on not, just by posting your on your way to recovery because you took the first step---now all you have to do is to learn more and follow your Doctors treatment.

P.S. Remember there are a lot of Doctors that are eager to treat PF but finding the good ones is the difficult part. Tuck into the back of your mind---you can always get another opinion if you don't like the treatment being offered.