Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Trying the Birkenstock's.....Beach Volleyball here I come???

Posted by HippieChick on 3/06/01 at 12:59 (040582)

Well, I really felt some support in reading all these emails. I am not alone. My diagnosis of PF came last week after suffereing for 4 months with a 'stone bruise' feeling. I kept thinking it would go away. Well, after a cortizone shot in the foot and Vioxx, the pain is pretty much gone ;however, I am paranoid it will come back. I am a beach volleyball player and I am trying to figure out how in the world I can continue to play barefoot in the sand! I bought some Birkenstocks yesterday and am breaking in slowing to wearing those. Hope those help. Any suggestions on the vball playing? Should I tape the foot and wear tennis shoes with the Birkenstock inserts? Just a thought. I do the calf stetching also. I am also a road biker(cycling) and am worried about that irritating the ligament. Any thoughts?

Re: Trying the Birkenstock's.....Beach Volleyball here I come???

Brian G on 3/07/01 at 07:51 (040683)

Hi HippieChick,

I am by no means an expert, but I've been suffering PF for over 7 years. Personally I would not be playing in the sand. You want to rest your feet at this point. The Birks are a great idea, I love mine. Please, no more vollyball until you can get your PF under control. If you don't, I hate to tell you, but it can become debilitating. Good luck, REST

BG, ex HippieGuy :*)

Richard, C.Ped on 3/07/01 at 08:16 (040687)

Hiya HippieChick!!
The best advice is to stop playing right now and rest. What did the doc say you should do?

If you do insist on playing, you picked a decent sport to continue doing so. I would not give that statement if you said you played indoor or grass. The sand is not so bad for your feet. It kind of cradles and forms to your feet. Remember though, you are still putting pressure and stress on the fascia when jumping, landing, and pushing off.

Our feet and ankles are mobile adaptors. They usually adapt to the surface on which we walk. Basically, we were not made to walk on hard flat surfaces such as concrete.

When I play, I use a Scott ankle brace. You may need something that you can adjust the tightness and provide good support to your arch. I have seen taping for beach. Sweat mixed with sand, the tape usually does not last very long.

If all else fails, do wear shoes with inserts (if it is allowed).

Do you by chance live on the east cost? Have you ever played in the Clash or the Crown in South Carolina? They are huge grass tournaments held every year. Good cash and merchandise prizes.

Remember, the best thing right now is to rest, rest, rest.
Richard, C.Ped

HippieChick on 3/22/01 at 21:27 (042243)

No, I don't live on the east coast, but that tournament sounds fun. I am in Texas. I tried playing for the first time since this foot problem started. I taped my foot and put on a FLA Orthopedic figure 8 style ankle/arch wrap. I did ok. It didn't get any worse when I played. The cortozone shot only helped for about 2 weeks. The doctor kept wanting to give me another shot but I quit going to him. In my opinion, those shots only 'mask' the pain. It doesn't fix it!! I am scheduled to see a 'sports medicine' doctor in two weeks. Maybe they can provide me with some alternative wraping methods. I tried some 'mild' mountain biking and that didn't make it 'worse' either. It is still tendor when I press on it,but general walking (in my 'Birks') doesn't bother it. I have only worn Birks and my tennis shoes with arch orthotics since I was diagnosed. I am still stretching the calf.

Brian G on 3/07/01 at 07:51 (040683)

Hi HippieChick,

I am by no means an expert, but I've been suffering PF for over 7 years. Personally I would not be playing in the sand. You want to rest your feet at this point. The Birks are a great idea, I love mine. Please, no more vollyball until you can get your PF under control. If you don't, I hate to tell you, but it can become debilitating. Good luck, REST

BG, ex HippieGuy :*)

Richard, C.Ped on 3/07/01 at 08:16 (040687)

Hiya HippieChick!!
The best advice is to stop playing right now and rest. What did the doc say you should do?

If you do insist on playing, you picked a decent sport to continue doing so. I would not give that statement if you said you played indoor or grass. The sand is not so bad for your feet. It kind of cradles and forms to your feet. Remember though, you are still putting pressure and stress on the fascia when jumping, landing, and pushing off.

Our feet and ankles are mobile adaptors. They usually adapt to the surface on which we walk. Basically, we were not made to walk on hard flat surfaces such as concrete.

When I play, I use a Scott ankle brace. You may need something that you can adjust the tightness and provide good support to your arch. I have seen taping for beach. Sweat mixed with sand, the tape usually does not last very long.

If all else fails, do wear shoes with inserts (if it is allowed).

Do you by chance live on the east cost? Have you ever played in the Clash or the Crown in South Carolina? They are huge grass tournaments held every year. Good cash and merchandise prizes.

Remember, the best thing right now is to rest, rest, rest.
Richard, C.Ped

HippieChick on 3/22/01 at 21:27 (042243)

No, I don't live on the east coast, but that tournament sounds fun. I am in Texas. I tried playing for the first time since this foot problem started. I taped my foot and put on a FLA Orthopedic figure 8 style ankle/arch wrap. I did ok. It didn't get any worse when I played. The cortozone shot only helped for about 2 weeks. The doctor kept wanting to give me another shot but I quit going to him. In my opinion, those shots only 'mask' the pain. It doesn't fix it!! I am scheduled to see a 'sports medicine' doctor in two weeks. Maybe they can provide me with some alternative wraping methods. I tried some 'mild' mountain biking and that didn't make it 'worse' either. It is still tendor when I press on it,but general walking (in my 'Birks') doesn't bother it. I have only worn Birks and my tennis shoes with arch orthotics since I was diagnosed. I am still stretching the calf.