Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel neuroma

Posted by Sharon on 3/06/01 at 13:00 (040583)

Hello. I had a plantar fasciotomy in december and I am still having grave difficulty with pain; the doctor keeps me on celebrex saying 'it will get better'. I no longer believe him. Can you tell me how a heel neuroma, resulting from surgery, is diagnosed? Actually any information you can give me is greatly appreciated. I think it is time for a second opinion.
I am quite disabled from pain.

Re: heel neuroma

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/06/01 at 13:20 (040588)

Very common to have alot of foot pain post heel spur and or plantara fasciitis. The doctor that tells you that you will get better in a few days , or a few weeks and don't tell you that it may take six months or more is the post-op problem.

It would take alot longer then three months to develop a heel neuroma. Are you talking about at the incision or on the bottom of the foot.

Very very in depth examination with experience is what is going to tell you if you have a heel neuroma. A heel neuroma is very rare but possible

Pauline on 3/06/01 at 13:32 (040594)

Sharon,
Would you mind sharing if a Pod or Ortho did your surgery?

Sharon on 3/06/01 at 13:37 (040600)

I am talking about in the heel; the two tiny incisions for the arthroscopic treatment are healed and don't hurt. But the heel is so painful I can't believe I even had surgery. If the ligament is snipped to relieve the tightness and pressure, why is there still pain?

Sharon on 3/06/01 at 13:37 (040601)

Hi Pauline. A podiatrist did the surgery. Why do you ask?

Pauline on 3/06/01 at 14:13 (040614)

I ask because I'm keeping a personal record of surgery patients who are posting that in spite of their PF surgery they remain in severe pain and may be no better off after having the surgery and may even be worse.
Certainly it is not a scientific study, currently only gathering some facts. If you look at the current page just from 3/4/01 to 3/5/01 there are 5 entries. I am also loging the date they had their surgeries to tell how long they are post op. Just an interest for me. Who's doing the most surgeries and what are the patients saying (at least those posting on this board).

JudyS on 3/06/01 at 14:18 (040616)

Pauline - you're probably going to peak some interest here now that you've mentioned your record-keeping. I, for one, will be anxious to know your results in, say, 4 to 6 months. Should be interesting. Of course, the one factor that would heavily influence results is that most people who are successful post-op are not posting here! We sure could use them!

Re: heel neuroma - for Pauline

Julie on 3/06/01 at 16:36 (040625)

Pauline, it's the people who are in severe pain after surgery who are more likely to post to the board. I suspect the satisfied customers have thrown away their crutches and are out there enjoying life. I'm not saying your research isn't worth doing, only that your sample is a bit skewed.

cindyp on 3/06/01 at 18:08 (040641)

Well, my two cents as it were is this, I have a diagnosed heel neuroma. (Guess I am privileged being so rare, YIPEEEEE!) Haven't had any surgery, don't remember any injuries of any sort. Have had this pain probably going on 8? years. The pain can be and is quite excruciating. Sometimes just out of nowhere it can be sharp stabbing pain. Other times constant unending ache. The pain can be debilitating because it is unending and because it destroys your once active life. The inability to function more than five minutes at a time, the constant medication that does not work but leaves you feeling stoned to put it bluntly, and the inability to hold a job. Mind you I am not a doctor but another trip to the doctor would be advised if it is just unbearable. Mine was found after a series of mri's and numerous trips to the doctors. Now my question is trying to get together the funds to get the surgery. Good luck to you irregardless the problem. Pain sucks. Thanks for letting me vent.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/06/01 at 19:27 (040648)

Pauline I for one don't understand the purpose. If you want to find out if podiatrists are butchers this isn't going to prove it.

I can show this board post-op mis heel spur procedure that are post 15-20 years . Will that help anyone. What are we looking for just tell me.

It is also my opinion that EPF is a bad procedure and that there are going to be alot of serious problems with the procedure. I predicated that when it first became popular. There is going to be some very good results and some very very bad results.

It you review the literature about orthopedic open surgery just ask Joe
DiMaggio about his great results that he had with his heel spur surgery.

He was butchered by an orthopedic surgeon who in his day was probaby the best around . I believe that they they even tried maggots to try to control the infection that the fish mouth incision caused. The brilliant orthopedic surgeon made a cut completely around the entire heel to expose the spur. Now if you need an MD degree to come up with that God bless you.

Re: The facts as they are-- not as you presume

Pauline on 3/07/01 at 05:53 (040673)

I never mentioned Pods as Butchers, nor did I say my record keeping was scientific in any way. I never even mentioned sharing my results with anyone, yet I find it very interesting that some people find a need to finish my picture before they know exactly what I plan to paint. A little premature I would say. Remember I'm not putting words in anyones mouth, I just collecting data as it appears. I may have much to tell you for you do not know how widely I am casting my net.

Scott R on 3/07/01 at 06:23 (040675)

Pauline, I'm interested in seeing your results.

Re: Sorry Pauline about the butchers.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/07/01 at 07:52 (040684)

I did jump on this without thinking. Maybe I see alot of Podiatric butchers and it hits a spot with me. I think it is because I am just frustrated with the entire ESWT and the difficulty I have with trying to explain to podiatric docs that it is really a good thing and that insurance is a problem at this time. and as soon as they hear that no insurance at this time then they would rather do surgery. I then tell the doctors that at least explain the options to the patients and they make up alot of excuses and then I see the the podiatric very bad results and then I get frustrated
and say to myself why am I talking to myself about this . Why care It is because I want to help

All I want is for doctors and patients to know the options

SO I AM SORRY. MAY YOUR RESULTS WILL PROVE SOMETHING THAT I MAY ALREADY THINK DEEP INSIDE or maybe we should start a doctor board for DR. Z
with a special couch. Again I am sorry

Barbara TX on 3/07/01 at 20:12 (040757)

Dr. Z - this is all too true, unfortunately. If I wasn't so nosey and curious about podiatry, I would have had a total fascia job by now. Heck, I would have had it after 6 months. People really think that they have no options, and it COULDN'T POSSIBLY BE that people are crippled from these operations - permanently. Didn't we just hear from one teenager who just had one? Who on earth would do that to a growing teenager, as quick-healing as they are? Perhaps it is just darn hard to tell a patient 'you will probably be recuperating from pf for about two years or more' when his patient wants to run a marathon in a month? Nobody promised me a rose garden, and I would suspect anybody that did. End of rant! B.

Julie F on 3/08/01 at 02:25 (040783)

That wasn't a rant, Barb, it was a piece of good sense.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/06/01 at 13:20 (040588)

Very common to have alot of foot pain post heel spur and or plantara fasciitis. The doctor that tells you that you will get better in a few days , or a few weeks and don't tell you that it may take six months or more is the post-op problem.

It would take alot longer then three months to develop a heel neuroma. Are you talking about at the incision or on the bottom of the foot.

Very very in depth examination with experience is what is going to tell you if you have a heel neuroma. A heel neuroma is very rare but possible

Pauline on 3/06/01 at 13:32 (040594)

Sharon,
Would you mind sharing if a Pod or Ortho did your surgery?

Sharon on 3/06/01 at 13:37 (040600)

I am talking about in the heel; the two tiny incisions for the arthroscopic treatment are healed and don't hurt. But the heel is so painful I can't believe I even had surgery. If the ligament is snipped to relieve the tightness and pressure, why is there still pain?

Sharon on 3/06/01 at 13:37 (040601)

Hi Pauline. A podiatrist did the surgery. Why do you ask?

Pauline on 3/06/01 at 14:13 (040614)

I ask because I'm keeping a personal record of surgery patients who are posting that in spite of their PF surgery they remain in severe pain and may be no better off after having the surgery and may even be worse.
Certainly it is not a scientific study, currently only gathering some facts. If you look at the current page just from 3/4/01 to 3/5/01 there are 5 entries. I am also loging the date they had their surgeries to tell how long they are post op. Just an interest for me. Who's doing the most surgeries and what are the patients saying (at least those posting on this board).

JudyS on 3/06/01 at 14:18 (040616)

Pauline - you're probably going to peak some interest here now that you've mentioned your record-keeping. I, for one, will be anxious to know your results in, say, 4 to 6 months. Should be interesting. Of course, the one factor that would heavily influence results is that most people who are successful post-op are not posting here! We sure could use them!

Re: heel neuroma - for Pauline

Julie on 3/06/01 at 16:36 (040625)

Pauline, it's the people who are in severe pain after surgery who are more likely to post to the board. I suspect the satisfied customers have thrown away their crutches and are out there enjoying life. I'm not saying your research isn't worth doing, only that your sample is a bit skewed.

cindyp on 3/06/01 at 18:08 (040641)

Well, my two cents as it were is this, I have a diagnosed heel neuroma. (Guess I am privileged being so rare, YIPEEEEE!) Haven't had any surgery, don't remember any injuries of any sort. Have had this pain probably going on 8? years. The pain can be and is quite excruciating. Sometimes just out of nowhere it can be sharp stabbing pain. Other times constant unending ache. The pain can be debilitating because it is unending and because it destroys your once active life. The inability to function more than five minutes at a time, the constant medication that does not work but leaves you feeling stoned to put it bluntly, and the inability to hold a job. Mind you I am not a doctor but another trip to the doctor would be advised if it is just unbearable. Mine was found after a series of mri's and numerous trips to the doctors. Now my question is trying to get together the funds to get the surgery. Good luck to you irregardless the problem. Pain sucks. Thanks for letting me vent.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/06/01 at 19:27 (040648)

Pauline I for one don't understand the purpose. If you want to find out if podiatrists are butchers this isn't going to prove it.

I can show this board post-op mis heel spur procedure that are post 15-20 years . Will that help anyone. What are we looking for just tell me.

It is also my opinion that EPF is a bad procedure and that there are going to be alot of serious problems with the procedure. I predicated that when it first became popular. There is going to be some very good results and some very very bad results.

It you review the literature about orthopedic open surgery just ask Joe
DiMaggio about his great results that he had with his heel spur surgery.

He was butchered by an orthopedic surgeon who in his day was probaby the best around . I believe that they they even tried maggots to try to control the infection that the fish mouth incision caused. The brilliant orthopedic surgeon made a cut completely around the entire heel to expose the spur. Now if you need an MD degree to come up with that God bless you.

Pauline on 3/07/01 at 05:53 (040673)

I never mentioned Pods as Butchers, nor did I say my record keeping was scientific in any way. I never even mentioned sharing my results with anyone, yet I find it very interesting that some people find a need to finish my picture before they know exactly what I plan to paint. A little premature I would say. Remember I'm not putting words in anyones mouth, I just collecting data as it appears. I may have much to tell you for you do not know how widely I am casting my net.

Scott R on 3/07/01 at 06:23 (040675)

Pauline, I'm interested in seeing your results.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/07/01 at 07:52 (040684)

I did jump on this without thinking. Maybe I see alot of Podiatric butchers and it hits a spot with me. I think it is because I am just frustrated with the entire ESWT and the difficulty I have with trying to explain to podiatric docs that it is really a good thing and that insurance is a problem at this time. and as soon as they hear that no insurance at this time then they would rather do surgery. I then tell the doctors that at least explain the options to the patients and they make up alot of excuses and then I see the the podiatric very bad results and then I get frustrated
and say to myself why am I talking to myself about this . Why care It is because I want to help

All I want is for doctors and patients to know the options

SO I AM SORRY. MAY YOUR RESULTS WILL PROVE SOMETHING THAT I MAY ALREADY THINK DEEP INSIDE or maybe we should start a doctor board for DR. Z
with a special couch. Again I am sorry

Barbara TX on 3/07/01 at 20:12 (040757)

Dr. Z - this is all too true, unfortunately. If I wasn't so nosey and curious about podiatry, I would have had a total fascia job by now. Heck, I would have had it after 6 months. People really think that they have no options, and it COULDN'T POSSIBLY BE that people are crippled from these operations - permanently. Didn't we just hear from one teenager who just had one? Who on earth would do that to a growing teenager, as quick-healing as they are? Perhaps it is just darn hard to tell a patient 'you will probably be recuperating from pf for about two years or more' when his patient wants to run a marathon in a month? Nobody promised me a rose garden, and I would suspect anybody that did. End of rant! B.

Julie F on 3/08/01 at 02:25 (040783)

That wasn't a rant, Barb, it was a piece of good sense.