Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

no union ankle fusion

Posted by Barbara Rawlins on 3/06/01 at 21:35 (040660)

Dear doctor I have had 2 ankle fusions, my orthapaedic surgeon wants to do it again because the bone is not healing properly. I realize
that you don't know my case, but, I was wonderinfg if the shockwave treatment might help. I have always been a slow healer and that's all
the doctor is telling me is the problem. I'm looking for a solution to seerding up the healing process. Do you have any ideas? I'm desperate because I can't really see how doing it a third time means that it will work the third time. I'd appreciate an answer. Do you know if the shockwave treatments are available in Canada and are they covererd. Thank-you in advance

Re: no union ankle fusion

Dr Zuckerman on 3/07/01 at 08:20 (040689)

There are FDA studies for non-union fracture in the USA . I believe that they are going on at the Regional lithotripsy center in the state of Washington. Getting into the study is something you would need to contact this center. You can find them on the http://www.healtronics.com
web site.

As far as Canada is concerned go to the ESWT section and take a look at the various centers and give them a call.

There is an ossatron in Toronto Canada but I don't know if they are treating non-unions.

diane on 3/09/01 at 07:21 (040860)

what arenon unions. i am having allot of ankle pain now in the right foot. i had 1 treatment with the orbasone machine.it helped short term for me.i only had one, so that may be the reason too i don't know. i am wondering what is causing the ankle pain now. diane

Dr Zuckerman on 3/07/01 at 08:20 (040689)

There are FDA studies for non-union fracture in the USA . I believe that they are going on at the Regional lithotripsy center in the state of Washington. Getting into the study is something you would need to contact this center. You can find them on the http://www.healtronics.com
web site.

As far as Canada is concerned go to the ESWT section and take a look at the various centers and give them a call.

There is an ossatron in Toronto Canada but I don't know if they are treating non-unions.

diane on 3/09/01 at 07:21 (040860)

what arenon unions. i am having allot of ankle pain now in the right foot. i had 1 treatment with the orbasone machine.it helped short term for me.i only had one, so that may be the reason too i don't know. i am wondering what is causing the ankle pain now. diane