Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Podiatrist or Ortho Surgeon??

Posted by Kathleen T on 3/07/01 at 00:35 (040666)

First time at this board and am I glad I found it! I'm up at 1:15 a.m. because I can't sleep from my TTS pain. I have always had a pretty severe pronation and haven't always worn the smartest choice in shoes. Although for walking purposes I have always found New Balance to help the pronation the most. Anyway, today my podiatrist and I began discussing surgery as an option for my problem. I have had a positive Nerve Conduction Study done by a neurologist, soft cast and PF boot for 7 days with no weight allowed on the foot, two rounds of cortizone injections, a week on prednisone (10,9,8,7,6....), well, he has tried everything. I am currently taking Wellbutrin, Celebrex, Lortab (for pain at night), and a new sleeping pill that IS NOT working! Actually, I took 2 Lortabs with the sleeping pills and still nothing! So, do I go with the Podiatrist for this surgery or should it be done by an ortho surgeon?? I used to be a beautician but have had to quit that job and am now searching for something in the clerical field. I just feel like I am never going to be able to get back to walking or even be able to make it through the grocery store. TTS is currently trying to ruin my life and I am willing to undergo any surgery at this point, but am afraid about making the choice on Pod or Ortho! HELP!!

Re: Podiatrist or Ortho Surgeon??

Dr. Marlene Reid on 3/12/01 at 02:07 (041119)

Kathleen,

You need to know a little background before making that decision. There are differences among pods and among ortho surgeons. First, you would want to make sure you podiatric surgeon is Board Certified by the American Bd of Podiatric Sx and does that kind of surgery. Not all pods do. Some pods to what is called minimal incision sx and you do not want that. With regards to orthos, very few have a fellowship in the foot and ankle. Stay away from anyone who does not. I can't tell you how many patients I have that were messed up by nonqualified pods and ortho pedic sx. Good luck in your search. You could contact the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons for a recommendation in your area.

DR. Zuckerman on 3/12/01 at 18:51 (041199)

Is there a procedure for tarsal tunnel release that it a miminial incision procedure. ???

eileenc on 3/14/01 at 12:35 (041453)

I found a surgical podiatrist who said he had used a laser many times to do TTS and cut a 1' incision approximately 1' below my ankle bone. Unfortunately, when he opened me up he said there was twice as much scar tissue as he had ever seen before and proceeded to use a knife instead. I sit here 31/2 years later worse off than I was before. I first saw this procedure mentioned from a podiatrist in Texas (don't remember where). My Dr. had given a lecture ( and wrote a small booklet) at one of the National Meetings of Pods 5 0r so years ago. He also taught the procedure at some Veterans' hospitals here in Ohio, somewhere in Russia, and somewhere in Scotland. Obviously, I would not recommend the procedure.... nor have I seen any mention of it on the internet since.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 3/12/01 at 02:07 (041119)

Kathleen,

You need to know a little background before making that decision. There are differences among pods and among ortho surgeons. First, you would want to make sure you podiatric surgeon is Board Certified by the American Bd of Podiatric Sx and does that kind of surgery. Not all pods do. Some pods to what is called minimal incision sx and you do not want that. With regards to orthos, very few have a fellowship in the foot and ankle. Stay away from anyone who does not. I can't tell you how many patients I have that were messed up by nonqualified pods and ortho pedic sx. Good luck in your search. You could contact the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons for a recommendation in your area.

DR. Zuckerman on 3/12/01 at 18:51 (041199)

Is there a procedure for tarsal tunnel release that it a miminial incision procedure. ???

eileenc on 3/14/01 at 12:35 (041453)

I found a surgical podiatrist who said he had used a laser many times to do TTS and cut a 1' incision approximately 1' below my ankle bone. Unfortunately, when he opened me up he said there was twice as much scar tissue as he had ever seen before and proceeded to use a knife instead. I sit here 31/2 years later worse off than I was before. I first saw this procedure mentioned from a podiatrist in Texas (don't remember where). My Dr. had given a lecture ( and wrote a small booklet) at one of the National Meetings of Pods 5 0r so years ago. He also taught the procedure at some Veterans' hospitals here in Ohio, somewhere in Russia, and somewhere in Scotland. Obviously, I would not recommend the procedure.... nor have I seen any mention of it on the internet since.