Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Are stairs bad for PF??

Posted by Dondi M on 3/07/01 at 16:10 (040734)

Are stairs bad for PF? If so which is worse going up or coming down?

I live in the Seattle, WA area and we just had a 6.8 earthquake last Wednesday. After the tremors stopped I had to try and move quickly down multiple flights of stairs to evacuate, as I was on the 5th floor. My feet and legs hurt so bad the next day I could barely walk. Everything felt like it was so tight it may pop! After a week things are doing better.

I ask because with my PF I walk up and down a ramp near the service delivery area to enter my office complex - instead of taking stairs. I wondered if this harmed me by keeping me out of shape. Obviously I am concerned about being able to get out of my building quickly without making my condition worse. Thank you.

Re: Are stairs bad for PF??

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/07/01 at 17:21 (040740)

Stairs, (up and down) are bad , going up and down hills, walking on uneven surfaces are bad.

Think of the plantar fascia as tires on a car. There is less wear and tear on the flat straight road then the pot holes

Julie on 3/08/01 at 02:07 (040781)

Hello Dondi

My sympathies to you - the quake must have been terrifying.

In my experience, down is worse than up: it shortens the calf muscles (but I suppose 'up' could overstretch the fascia). I think stairs are potentially less trouble-making than ramps or hills, because the position of the foot/feet on each step can be controlled by descending a step at a time, i.e. not going through the whole gait cycle.

But if you have to make a quick getaway, that's not going to help you much! Let's hope there are no more quakes.

All the best

Julie

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/07/01 at 17:21 (040740)

Stairs, (up and down) are bad , going up and down hills, walking on uneven surfaces are bad.

Think of the plantar fascia as tires on a car. There is less wear and tear on the flat straight road then the pot holes

Julie on 3/08/01 at 02:07 (040781)

Hello Dondi

My sympathies to you - the quake must have been terrifying.

In my experience, down is worse than up: it shortens the calf muscles (but I suppose 'up' could overstretch the fascia). I think stairs are potentially less trouble-making than ramps or hills, because the position of the foot/feet on each step can be controlled by descending a step at a time, i.e. not going through the whole gait cycle.

But if you have to make a quick getaway, that's not going to help you much! Let's hope there are no more quakes.

All the best

Julie