Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Fitting orthotics in shoes

Posted by Paula G. on 3/08/01 at 14:19 (040813)

I have a question. I got my orthotics this Monday to begin wearing in my shoes. The doctor told me they go 'under' the padding that is already in the shoe. Can you tell me why? Wouldn't this give too much support?
And about how long before a person may notice a difference? I see I am walking with my feet straighter but they don't feel any better.

Re: Fitting orthotics in shoes

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/08/01 at 15:43 (040819)

I would take out the existing padding in the shoe. This will give the orthosis more room in the shoe. It can six weeks or more . You shouldn't feel additional foot pain.

Richard, C.Ped on 3/08/01 at 15:46 (040820)

Good question. I don't know. I always remove the original insert to make room for the new. I left the original in once to see what it would feel like. At the end of the day, my instep was killing me. There was way to much 'stuff' in the shoe.

As for putting the orthosis under the original...you got me. Maybe for extra padding? It seems to me that having that extra material on top would cause the orthosis to lose some of its value. The material on top is not molded to the orthosis.

Did the doc give you a reason? Could you ask why?
Richard

Paula G on 3/09/01 at 08:59 (040875)

Thank you. I thought the same thing. Because the orthotics seem to be making my feet worse not better. Maybe that happens at first, I don't know. But, I am taking the shoe padding out. I would think it would be too bulky and you are getting too much support.

Lee S. on 3/26/01 at 15:09 (042546)

It can go on top of your padding or you can take the padding out. You will do best if the shoe is a lace up oxford style or a monk strap style. That will help keep your heel from popping out of the shoe.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/08/01 at 15:43 (040819)

I would take out the existing padding in the shoe. This will give the orthosis more room in the shoe. It can six weeks or more . You shouldn't feel additional foot pain.

Richard, C.Ped on 3/08/01 at 15:46 (040820)

Good question. I don't know. I always remove the original insert to make room for the new. I left the original in once to see what it would feel like. At the end of the day, my instep was killing me. There was way to much 'stuff' in the shoe.

As for putting the orthosis under the original...you got me. Maybe for extra padding? It seems to me that having that extra material on top would cause the orthosis to lose some of its value. The material on top is not molded to the orthosis.

Did the doc give you a reason? Could you ask why?
Richard

Paula G on 3/09/01 at 08:59 (040875)

Thank you. I thought the same thing. Because the orthotics seem to be making my feet worse not better. Maybe that happens at first, I don't know. But, I am taking the shoe padding out. I would think it would be too bulky and you are getting too much support.

Lee S. on 3/26/01 at 15:09 (042546)

It can go on top of your padding or you can take the padding out. You will do best if the shoe is a lace up oxford style or a monk strap style. That will help keep your heel from popping out of the shoe.