Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

POST OP RECOVERY

Posted by carol on 3/10/01 at 07:30 (040931)

sCOTT2 - HOW ARE YOU DOING? I had surgery on the 13th feb and its been slow but I feel in the last couple of days things are easing up painwise. It has been awful. I know Patti is suffering too so please be assured Patti it will improve - still sore as hell but I am not wanting my coffin to be measured out now now as I was last week!!!I really had no idea it would be so awful. We never seem to hear of people who have had success with this op do we - are there any out there!!! Then I suppose those success stories don't both to look up sites like this etc as it all over for them. Some successes would be great to hear from though. Patti now was your visit to the Doc yesterday. Carol

Re: POST OP RECOVERY

P HELM on 3/10/01 at 07:45 (040933)

HI Carol,
I just got my stitches out yesterday and the Dr. told me I could walk with crutches for a week, then walk on my own without them. Well, I have been walking without them ( more like limping ), but I am gettting around just fine. I am much better than I thought I would be. I can't really say how the results of the surgery are though. I just feel better without the splint. :) I am still on pain medicine too. I tried taking ALIEVE and it didn't phase the pain. I am still taking Vicidin. I am really going to take it easy though, I don't want my leg to swell. Thanks for writing. I hope to hear that you are doing much better too.

Re: POST OP RECOVERY PS!!!

P HELM on 3/10/01 at 07:49 (040935)

P.S. I have to add that I am wearing Birkenstock sandals and they make a world of difference. They really support my heel and bottom of my foot. I have noticed that my heel really hurts!!!

Scott2 on 3/13/01 at 14:44 (041328)

Hi Carol,

I am improving. I posted a message to Dennis under the title AGE if you want more info, but here is a quick update:

Surgery - Feb 16
Crutches non-weight bearing - until March 2
Leg put in hard cast - March 2 (stitches still in)
- Lots of pain
Hard cast removed along with stitches (Yeah) - March 5
- Pain was really bad over that weekend
Two crutches and cam-walker until March 8
One crutch and cam-walker for one day - March 9 (now I can open doors!)
Crutch free only using cam-walker - March 10 to present (now I can carry a can of soda and open a door!)

I visit the doctor tomorrow, Wednesday, March 14 to get an update.

I can place my foot on the floor without the cam-walker but cannot put all of my weight (even distribution) between both feet. I cannot put my heal all the way down with full weight.

It seems my improvement really happened in week three AFTER I got those darn stitches out. I still have a long way to go but am feeling much better about my recovery.

My other foot has taken a beating bearing all the weight and I hope I can take care of that one with new orthotics since I do not seem to have the same tingling sensations of tinnel sign.

I'll let everyone know what happens at the doctor tomorow. Thanks.

thea on 3/13/01 at 18:03 (041350)

scott-
I haven't been on the computer in a few days. it sounds like you are getting along good. i had the surgery on 3/1 and yesterday i had half of the stitiches taken out. the cast that the dr had put on became very loose and moved around on my foot and it felt like something was rubbing against the incision. so i went yesterday to have him look at it. he took the cast off and took out the stitches that were further up my leg. i go back on mon, 3/19, for the rest of the stitches to come out. he said i could start putting weight on it, approx 50%. however i can't put that much weight on it yet. my heel is really tender. but i have to say throughout today i have improved movement and the pain is not so bad. dr said to work on spelling the alphabet with my foot. having the cast removed was great. i just feel so more optimistic. dr. said he saw nothing imparticular that was compresing on my nerve. he said that he basically just cleaned the area out and straighten the nerves. hopefully that works!!! i have to say i wasn't expecting to have as much movement or be able to put as much pressure on it as i have today. so that is a good feeling. i just can't wait for the day to run and walk the dog. i thought about keeping one of those stitches like you said you did for motivation. just the memory of this whole experience i think will give me motivation to run when i don't feel like it. well good luck and i will try to get on the computer more often for updates. i'll have to get on tomorrow to read how your dr appt went. thanks

P HELM on 3/10/01 at 07:45 (040933)

HI Carol,
I just got my stitches out yesterday and the Dr. told me I could walk with crutches for a week, then walk on my own without them. Well, I have been walking without them ( more like limping ), but I am gettting around just fine. I am much better than I thought I would be. I can't really say how the results of the surgery are though. I just feel better without the splint. :) I am still on pain medicine too. I tried taking ALIEVE and it didn't phase the pain. I am still taking Vicidin. I am really going to take it easy though, I don't want my leg to swell. Thanks for writing. I hope to hear that you are doing much better too.

Re: POST OP RECOVERY PS!!!

P HELM on 3/10/01 at 07:49 (040935)

P.S. I have to add that I am wearing Birkenstock sandals and they make a world of difference. They really support my heel and bottom of my foot. I have noticed that my heel really hurts!!!

Scott2 on 3/13/01 at 14:44 (041328)

Hi Carol,

I am improving. I posted a message to Dennis under the title AGE if you want more info, but here is a quick update:

Surgery - Feb 16
Crutches non-weight bearing - until March 2
Leg put in hard cast - March 2 (stitches still in)
- Lots of pain
Hard cast removed along with stitches (Yeah) - March 5
- Pain was really bad over that weekend
Two crutches and cam-walker until March 8
One crutch and cam-walker for one day - March 9 (now I can open doors!)
Crutch free only using cam-walker - March 10 to present (now I can carry a can of soda and open a door!)

I visit the doctor tomorrow, Wednesday, March 14 to get an update.

I can place my foot on the floor without the cam-walker but cannot put all of my weight (even distribution) between both feet. I cannot put my heal all the way down with full weight.

It seems my improvement really happened in week three AFTER I got those darn stitches out. I still have a long way to go but am feeling much better about my recovery.

My other foot has taken a beating bearing all the weight and I hope I can take care of that one with new orthotics since I do not seem to have the same tingling sensations of tinnel sign.

I'll let everyone know what happens at the doctor tomorow. Thanks.

thea on 3/13/01 at 18:03 (041350)

scott-
I haven't been on the computer in a few days. it sounds like you are getting along good. i had the surgery on 3/1 and yesterday i had half of the stitiches taken out. the cast that the dr had put on became very loose and moved around on my foot and it felt like something was rubbing against the incision. so i went yesterday to have him look at it. he took the cast off and took out the stitches that were further up my leg. i go back on mon, 3/19, for the rest of the stitches to come out. he said i could start putting weight on it, approx 50%. however i can't put that much weight on it yet. my heel is really tender. but i have to say throughout today i have improved movement and the pain is not so bad. dr said to work on spelling the alphabet with my foot. having the cast removed was great. i just feel so more optimistic. dr. said he saw nothing imparticular that was compresing on my nerve. he said that he basically just cleaned the area out and straighten the nerves. hopefully that works!!! i have to say i wasn't expecting to have as much movement or be able to put as much pressure on it as i have today. so that is a good feeling. i just can't wait for the day to run and walk the dog. i thought about keeping one of those stitches like you said you did for motivation. just the memory of this whole experience i think will give me motivation to run when i don't feel like it. well good luck and i will try to get on the computer more often for updates. i'll have to get on tomorrow to read how your dr appt went. thanks