Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT in California or Canada

Posted by Donna SL on 3/10/01 at 16:14 (040958)

Hi All,

I'm considering the ESWT treatment in the very near future. I spoke to a DPM in California on the phone the other day who got the Ossatron machine installed a few weeks ago. (He was an extremely nice man, and seemed very knowledgeable, and caring). His fees are not outrageous either. He's also not listed on this site yet, but Healthtronics highly recommended him.

He said Ossatron can only be peformed on the weight bearing surface of the foot in the US, because the FDA has not approved it yet for anywhere else. (ie. achilles area). I also spoke to a doctor in Canada yesterday, and they are doing the achilles area, and are allowed to do other areas above the plantar surface. Is there any information, or statistics on Ossatron done in the achilles area? Is this a more risky area to do the Ossatron on? My pain is on the plantar surface of my heels, not the achilles, but my current local DPM is guessing some of the pain could be caused from achilles tendonitis, along with having PF, because the pain extends to the back bottom surface of the heel, and a little on the sides if I'm really inflamed. The doctors I spoke to on the phone said that pain could just be due to some calcaneal nerve irritation, and suggested a nerve condution test, but the doctor in Toronto really thought is was just due to PF exclusively, because I had a positive bone scan, even though the MRI showed a normal size fascia. The doctor in California, who had recovered from PF himself said his entire heel hurt all the way to the back of the heel, and up the sidea a little when he had PF. Yet he never did any radical treatment on the achilles ares other than the routine PT.

One of the reasons for traveling to Canada would be because they can do the achilles area, at the same time they do the bottom of the feet. I don't even know if it's really necessary to have it done there, because I don't really feel any pain in the achilles. Once in a great while my achilles will feel a little strained if I'm in too soft of a shoe in the heel area. The MRI showed a normal intact achilles. The only other reason would be is because the doctor in Canada has more experience, and is also an orthopedic surgeon. He also mentioned if I had any nerve entrapment in the calcaneal nerves, that would have to be treated in addition to ESWT. He said they do laser therapy for that, and I would need that done in the states, because it requires many treatments. He thought it was highly unlikely I had anything wrong with the nerves though other than irritation.

I'd prefer to have it done in California, because I live in California, and it would only take an hour on an inexpensive shuttle flight to get to this doctor. Also, I could have one foot done at a time, because of the closer distance, and also may need retreatments. The doctors in Canada would be doing both feet, and achilles at once, and I don't know if that is a good idea. In summary my main questions are:

1. Would it be better to try the ESWT/Ossatron here first, and see if I get relief from just doing the plantar surface of the heel, which is where almost all my pain is? Or go to Canada and take advantage of the achilles area being done at the same time they do the heels. Is the achilles area more risky? Also, is it too much to have both feet done at once?

2. The DPM in CA does not have as much experience as the doctor in Toronto as far as Ossatron is concerned, but has been trained, and signed off by healthtronics, (but has around 16 years experience as a DPM). Would that make that much of a difference? The doctor in Toronto has done hundreds of procedures, and is a orthopedic surgeon. The doctor in CA, has done around 15. He gave me the name of the doctor in Toronto, because he had trained with him, and wanted to give me a choice. He even offered to do a work up, and then decide if I wanted it done by him, or the doctor in Canada.

Hope I didn't confuse you with this long post.

Donna

Re: ESWT in California or Canada

reb c on 3/10/01 at 17:28 (040964)

Whereabouts in CA is this DPM?

Donna SL on 3/10/01 at 18:20 (040971)

Reb,

He's in Bakersfield, CA which I think is a little over 100 miles North of LA.

Donna

Dorron Shapow on 3/12/01 at 12:11 (041155)

To all requesting ESWT in Ca
I do the treatment here in los angeles, Ive been doing it over a year and a half. We use the orbasone manchine...if you have any questions please post or I can send you some Info.

JudyS on 3/13/01 at 10:53 (041294)

Mr. Shapow, If you're using the Orbosone, does that mean that you're more likely to not see insurance coverage.....as opposed to the Ossotron which has the ever-present FDA foot-treatment approval? The confusion re: both 'machines' is still out there. I need to know which of the two my insurance is most likely to cover.

Dorron Shapow on 3/14/01 at 12:04 (041450)

There is little confusion; both are the same Tx, one treatment is done under general anesthetic,and is only one visit. The orbasone tx is three treatments. Both yeild the same results. Both use shock wave therapy. As far as insurance is concerned yes there is a difference, orbasone tx is covered by workers compensation but not by private insurance. If you have any more questions you can speak to my office they can answer every question you have about insurance and payments the number is 323-965-7333

KarenA on 3/21/01 at 17:59 (042102)

Hi, Donna,
I know I definitely have achilles tendonitis since it is painful in that
area and an x-ray shows that I have put down a lot of extra bone around the achilles tendon in my left foot. For that reason, I was interested in your letter about the doctor in Toronto,Canada who can treat that area with ESWT. Could you please tell me his name. This information will be
appreciated. Also, where did you decide to go for your treatment? I'm sure
that is a difficult decision for many people.
Karen

Re: Karen ESWT in California or Canada

Donna SL on 3/21/01 at 22:36 (042132)

Hi Karen,

The doctor I talked to is from the Institute of Sports medicine in Etobicoke, Canada near Toronto. His name is Dr. Rob Gordon. He sounded very nice, and returned my call the same day I left the message. I think he works with Dr. Galea.
They are listed on the ESWT section of this board under the Treatment locations database. Center # 13. The number is
416- 620- 6861. He gave me another number to reach him at, but I can't find it at the moment, but they will have him call you from this numuber.

I think if I get the ESWT, I would try the doctor in California first. It's still probably around 400-500 miles from where I live, but would be much easier then going to Canada. I also liked this doctor very very much. He spoke to me for around 1 1/2 hours when he called, and seemed very knowledgable, and compassionate. I don't really have any achilles pain, and nothing shows on the MRI, or Xrays. I just thought it would help, because my achilles area is so tight. Most of my pain is on the plantar surface of my feet. If I needed the achilles done later I would then consider going to Canada.

I also spoke with Dr. Zuckerman in N.J., and he seems like a wonderful, sweet doctor, and also spent a lot of time with me on the phone. I think he can do the achilles area with the Orbosone machine. After listenting to my history he recommended that I have the procedure done in CA, and assured me that 15 procedures was plenty. By the time I see the doctor in CA he'll probably have done plenty more.

I'm going to hold off on the ESWT, for a couple of months and give the Acitve Release therapy a try first. I read that Dr. Galea sometimes recommends that in cases like mine. If that doesn't work, I'll schedule the Ossatron.

Good Luck,

Donna

KarenA on 3/22/01 at 21:58 (042248)

Hi Donna,
Thank you so much for your reply. I checked out the site and it appears that quite a few people have had ESWT done by doctors at the Institute of Sports Medicine. Even though I have had this problem for many
years, I am taking it slow on deciding where to go if I do have this treatment done. It seems like a big decision. If you have time to answer,
what is Active Release therapy? I don't think I've ever heard of that.
Let us know how you are progressing and if you decide to get ESWT.
Very best wishes for a complete recovery.
Karen

Donna SL on 3/23/01 at 03:15 (042261)

Hi Karen,

I don't know to much about ART. Basically it is for soft tissue injuries, and breaking up scar tissue or lesions that form in soft tissue brought on from injury. I guess when these are broken up, then healing can take place. Also, it is suppose to help increase mobility. I did a search on the web, and there is not to much info out there. I do know that it's important to have the treatment from someone certified by Dr. Leahy. He just started certifying for lower extremities in January. It's important to go to someone certified in Full Body training which includes the lower extremity. There are a lot of chiropractors out there claiming they know ART, but when I called Dr. Leahy's office, they were not certified. He has a website, with limited information, but you can search for a practioner in your area. You can also call Leahy, and they will tell you if they are certified in Full Body ART. Just look under contact info on his site for phone numbers. I read this takes specialized training and is very sophisticated, and should not be confused with simple deep tissure massage.

Dr Leahy site is:

http://www.activerelease.com/

Also here's a couple of sites that give a brief description of ART.

http://www.fitwell.com/art.html

http://www.kitschiro.com/art.html

I don't know if ART would help with any calcification on the achilles though. I would think ESWT would be excellent for that. I also think the ART might help you from getting the Achilles problems again, even if it is helped by the ESWT. It's important to know what caused this in the first place, so it doesn't return.

I have my first session on Monday, and will know more than. I heard it can be very painful. (like we don't have enough pain already). I really think I'm going to need the ESWT though, because it seems that even though I've improved, lately the smallest thing is causing my PF to flare-up more intensly. I don't think the ART would hurt me, and would restore some flexiblity, and maybe cure this so I'm going to give it a try.

I probably won't know if this helps until I have a couple of sessions. I'll keep you informed if I decide to schedule the ESWT also. Please let me know what you decide to with the ESWT, or if there is anything else I can help you with.

Donna

Re: ESWT in Canada-Ossatron going BYE BYE

Martha B. on 3/23/01 at 17:43 (042298)

Mohez,who lives in Toronto confirmed that the Institute of Sports Medicine ossatron where many of us had the tx is being moved elsewhere very soon.Guess you could check this out with Healthtronics.

reb c on 3/10/01 at 17:28 (040964)

Whereabouts in CA is this DPM?

Donna SL on 3/10/01 at 18:20 (040971)

Reb,

He's in Bakersfield, CA which I think is a little over 100 miles North of LA.

Donna

Dorron Shapow on 3/12/01 at 12:11 (041155)

To all requesting ESWT in Ca
I do the treatment here in los angeles, Ive been doing it over a year and a half. We use the orbasone manchine...if you have any questions please post or I can send you some Info.

JudyS on 3/13/01 at 10:53 (041294)

Mr. Shapow, If you're using the Orbosone, does that mean that you're more likely to not see insurance coverage.....as opposed to the Ossotron which has the ever-present FDA foot-treatment approval? The confusion re: both 'machines' is still out there. I need to know which of the two my insurance is most likely to cover.

Dorron Shapow on 3/14/01 at 12:04 (041450)

There is little confusion; both are the same Tx, one treatment is done under general anesthetic,and is only one visit. The orbasone tx is three treatments. Both yeild the same results. Both use shock wave therapy. As far as insurance is concerned yes there is a difference, orbasone tx is covered by workers compensation but not by private insurance. If you have any more questions you can speak to my office they can answer every question you have about insurance and payments the number is 323-965-7333

KarenA on 3/21/01 at 17:59 (042102)

Hi, Donna,
I know I definitely have achilles tendonitis since it is painful in that
area and an x-ray shows that I have put down a lot of extra bone around the achilles tendon in my left foot. For that reason, I was interested in your letter about the doctor in Toronto,Canada who can treat that area with ESWT. Could you please tell me his name. This information will be
appreciated. Also, where did you decide to go for your treatment? I'm sure
that is a difficult decision for many people.
Karen

Donna SL on 3/21/01 at 22:36 (042132)

Hi Karen,

The doctor I talked to is from the Institute of Sports medicine in Etobicoke, Canada near Toronto. His name is Dr. Rob Gordon. He sounded very nice, and returned my call the same day I left the message. I think he works with Dr. Galea.
They are listed on the ESWT section of this board under the Treatment locations database. Center # 13. The number is
416- 620- 6861. He gave me another number to reach him at, but I can't find it at the moment, but they will have him call you from this numuber.

I think if I get the ESWT, I would try the doctor in California first. It's still probably around 400-500 miles from where I live, but would be much easier then going to Canada. I also liked this doctor very very much. He spoke to me for around 1 1/2 hours when he called, and seemed very knowledgable, and compassionate. I don't really have any achilles pain, and nothing shows on the MRI, or Xrays. I just thought it would help, because my achilles area is so tight. Most of my pain is on the plantar surface of my feet. If I needed the achilles done later I would then consider going to Canada.

I also spoke with Dr. Zuckerman in N.J., and he seems like a wonderful, sweet doctor, and also spent a lot of time with me on the phone. I think he can do the achilles area with the Orbosone machine. After listenting to my history he recommended that I have the procedure done in CA, and assured me that 15 procedures was plenty. By the time I see the doctor in CA he'll probably have done plenty more.

I'm going to hold off on the ESWT, for a couple of months and give the Acitve Release therapy a try first. I read that Dr. Galea sometimes recommends that in cases like mine. If that doesn't work, I'll schedule the Ossatron.

Good Luck,

Donna

KarenA on 3/22/01 at 21:58 (042248)

Hi Donna,
Thank you so much for your reply. I checked out the site and it appears that quite a few people have had ESWT done by doctors at the Institute of Sports Medicine. Even though I have had this problem for many
years, I am taking it slow on deciding where to go if I do have this treatment done. It seems like a big decision. If you have time to answer,
what is Active Release therapy? I don't think I've ever heard of that.
Let us know how you are progressing and if you decide to get ESWT.
Very best wishes for a complete recovery.
Karen

Donna SL on 3/23/01 at 03:15 (042261)

Hi Karen,

I don't know to much about ART. Basically it is for soft tissue injuries, and breaking up scar tissue or lesions that form in soft tissue brought on from injury. I guess when these are broken up, then healing can take place. Also, it is suppose to help increase mobility. I did a search on the web, and there is not to much info out there. I do know that it's important to have the treatment from someone certified by Dr. Leahy. He just started certifying for lower extremities in January. It's important to go to someone certified in Full Body training which includes the lower extremity. There are a lot of chiropractors out there claiming they know ART, but when I called Dr. Leahy's office, they were not certified. He has a website, with limited information, but you can search for a practioner in your area. You can also call Leahy, and they will tell you if they are certified in Full Body ART. Just look under contact info on his site for phone numbers. I read this takes specialized training and is very sophisticated, and should not be confused with simple deep tissure massage.

Dr Leahy site is:

http://www.activerelease.com/

Also here's a couple of sites that give a brief description of ART.

http://www.fitwell.com/art.html

http://www.kitschiro.com/art.html

I don't know if ART would help with any calcification on the achilles though. I would think ESWT would be excellent for that. I also think the ART might help you from getting the Achilles problems again, even if it is helped by the ESWT. It's important to know what caused this in the first place, so it doesn't return.

I have my first session on Monday, and will know more than. I heard it can be very painful. (like we don't have enough pain already). I really think I'm going to need the ESWT though, because it seems that even though I've improved, lately the smallest thing is causing my PF to flare-up more intensly. I don't think the ART would hurt me, and would restore some flexiblity, and maybe cure this so I'm going to give it a try.

I probably won't know if this helps until I have a couple of sessions. I'll keep you informed if I decide to schedule the ESWT also. Please let me know what you decide to with the ESWT, or if there is anything else I can help you with.

Donna

Re: ESWT in Canada-Ossatron going BYE BYE

Martha B. on 3/23/01 at 17:43 (042298)

Mohez,who lives in Toronto confirmed that the Institute of Sports Medicine ossatron where many of us had the tx is being moved elsewhere very soon.Guess you could check this out with Healthtronics.