Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

MSM Updates?

Posted by Nancy N on 3/10/01 at 22:09 (040984)

So how is everyone who has been trying MSM? I've been taking it for two weeks now and haven't noticed anything, but I have not been using any sort of topical cream. I figured I would try it this way first and see what happened.

Anyway, I'm curious to know what everyone else's experience has been so far!

Re: MSM Updates?

Julie F on 3/11/01 at 01:57 (041006)

I've been using it for two weeks too, Nancy - two tablets a day and the cream. I've noticed no change as yet, but wouldn't necessarily have expected to. The cream smells nice, though.

Brian G on 3/11/01 at 12:29 (041040)

I also started it a couple weeks ago. I'm using the cream, and one or two tabs (1,000mg) a day. So far nothing. I did order some DMSO gel and began using it, along with the MSN cream two days ago. I'm going to get that MSN deep into my heel if it kills me! PF, your out of here :*)

Laters
BG

Re: DMSO

Scott R on 3/11/01 at 12:36 (041042)

Bob, you didn't noticed any improvement within 10 minutes of applying the DMSO? The stuff was miraculous for me.

Kay S on 3/11/01 at 13:05 (041047)

Hi Nancy
I also started taking MSM about ten days ago and unfortunately, haven't noticed anything yet either. However, I will do this the same way I have done with other OTC meds/vitamins: I will take them religiously the way they are intended, until I finish the whole bottle. That way at least I can say I tried for a month and if nothing happens, I don't buy them again. If I would see any improvement, I'd add them to my daily routine.
I'm glad you asked because I was wondering how everyone was doing also.
Kay

Nancy N on 3/11/01 at 13:09 (041049)

Kay--

I'm with you. I'll admit, I did not buy anything expensive--I usually buy my vitamins at Wal-Mart (having heard that their stuff can actually be better than the more expensive brands) and that's where I got the MSM, too. I have been taking it exclusively by mouth, and am wondering if the topical application is the key. I'll give it another week before I try that, though. I don't remember who else started taking it, but it'll be interesting to see how we all do. I have to keep reminding myself that just because it seems to be working for BarbNY doesn't mean it'll work for everyone...

We should all check in in another week or so and see if anything has changed.

AnnabelM on 3/11/01 at 21:11 (041104)

I have taken MSM over a month and used the cream for 3 weeks. No change. A gimmic I think.

Brian G on 3/12/01 at 07:30 (041132)

A gimmic? Maybe. The people who had some relief, what about them? Was it the power of suggestion? I thought the DMSO would help, but I'm still waiting. I haven't given up yet. I am wondering why no one from our latest 'test group' has found relief. Could it be our specif injuries are worse than someone who may have found relief?

BG

ellen w on 3/12/01 at 08:55 (041140)

Within the last week I've noticed a significant improvement. I've been taking a formula with 750 mg per capsule, and noticed no effects positive or negative, so I increased the dose to 3 capsules a day (the bottle says take 1 to 4 tablets daily). 2 weeks ago, while swimming, I was feeling pain while flexing my ankle during the breast stroke; last night, none. And the on and off pains running up the outer side of my ankle have also decreased. I haven't put this to the treadmill test (last time on the treadmill I had to stop after 10 minutes) but will let you know.

Is this because of the MSM?

Hard to tell. I also within the last two weeks switched to a new pair of shoes that has a steel shank for support, so it could be this. Or my PT exercises finally kicking in. Or 2 days of warmer weather.

I am feeling like I've turned a corner -- though I've had this feeling before, and then backslid.

Ellen

C on 3/12/01 at 10:56 (041149)

I've been taking MSM for three weeks now and NOTHING!! Heck, I've even been prescribed Medrol and NOTHING!!! AAHHHH! I'm so frustrated!! I still feel the prickly feeling along the outer part of my ankle. There's got to be some nerve entrapment there. My EMG said I was fine with all my nerves. Then what the??????

Barb-NY on 3/12/01 at 12:14 (041156)

As of last week I was ready to declare 'I'm cured'. I've been using MSM caps and cream for weeks now and every day brought significant improvement. I was even ready to stop visiting this board as often.

Then, last Friday, I did something stupid. At work I dragged 2 portable files (transfiles) across the room. They were about 70 pounds each. I was dragging them on carpet. Later that night my feet started to hurt again. I'm so mad at myself for this relapse. But today, I'm starting to feel better and hope that the MSM is kicking in again.

What this has tought me is that although I may FEEL cured, I really never will be. I have this for life and will have to start changing my behavior to prevent relapses.

I can see from this message thread that many have not felt any relief with MSM. Not all remedies will work for all people. I think the problem is that we all have PF in different ways and from different reasons.

It would be interesting to see if low-arched people have better results than high-arched people. Or if people without spurs have better results than those with spurs. Or if those with arch pain have better results than those with heel or forefoot pain.

Nancy N on 3/12/01 at 14:21 (041171)

Barb--

You make some interesting points. I do wonder if anyone else who has started with MSM is using it both topically and internally. I wanted to try it internally-only for a while to see if I needed to do it topically or not (I'm much more likely to take the pill than I am to take the time to mess with a cream, and I always like to know exactly what did or didn't work, so this seemed like a good way to go). I think I'll give it another week or so before trying it as a cream. It should be interesting to see the difference.

So are you a member of the high-arch or low-arch crowd? I have a pretty pronounced arch, according to the pedorthist--until I stand up, that is. Then it falls...

Barb-NY on 3/12/01 at 20:34 (041224)

I have 'normal' arches while sitting. When I stand they tend to collapse. I don't have any morning pain.

I've increased my dosage to 3 MSM pills a day until I recover from this setback.

Julie on 3/13/01 at 01:22 (041265)

Let's not be too quick to dismiss MSM as a 'gimmick'. It may work for some and not for others, for all sorts of reasons. It may work more quickly for some of those it does work for, and more slowly for others. Those it does work for may be being helped by something else as well (i.e. Ellen's shoes).

Most of us who are trying it have only been using it for a couple of weeks. I'd say that is too soon to make any judgements at all. Natural remedies aren't magic bullets, like painkillers.

Let's check in again a month from now.

I agree with you Barb: I really do think, hard as it may be to accept, that lots of us with PF are going to have to live with the possibility of it, and be vigilant. I don't find this difficult now that I've accepted it - it's just a matter of being realistic.

Julie on 3/13/01 at 01:29 (041267)

Nancy, I'm using MSM both topically and internally. I would guess that the pills, which are systemic, have more clout than the external cream. Rather like Ibuprofen pills/gel.

Brian G on 3/13/01 at 06:36 (041277)

I do wish the cream would have a higher MSN content. I bought mine at a health food store and I'm pretty sure it's only 15% MSN. Anybody have any cream that has a higher content?

BG

ellen w on 3/13/01 at 09:16 (041282)

You can also buy it in crystal/poweder form, and use it to dissolve in water for foot soaks. I wonder if you could make your own formulation by mixing crystals in with a cream or something like the ibuprofen gel?? Would be hard to figure out the dosage, but this doesn't seem to have anything that would burn the skin in it.

My dermatologist taught me a trick for intensifying the action of topically applied medications. You rub the medication in and then cover it with a patch product called duoderm. It's an OTC product, though I had to ask a local pharmacy to order specially for me. It's expensive, but it works. I was using a prescription corticosteriod cream called psorcan to treat a patch of psoriasis. By itself, this cream did nothing. But when covered, it cleared the condition right up. I was told that saran wrap would also work -- but the nice thing about the duoderm is that it's much less messy and will stay on through bathing, swimming, etc., and you can wear it to work.

Would this work for an anti-inflammatory? Don't know. Next time I see my dermatologist I'll ask her if she thinks it would have any effect.

Ellen

Carlw on 3/13/01 at 09:47 (041284)

Is DMSO available in Canada? The few places I found it on the net based out of the States did not ship to Canada.

Barb-NY on 3/13/01 at 12:17 (041308)

Try buying the powder form in bulk and mix it with your own lotion.

Julie F on 3/11/01 at 01:57 (041006)

I've been using it for two weeks too, Nancy - two tablets a day and the cream. I've noticed no change as yet, but wouldn't necessarily have expected to. The cream smells nice, though.

Brian G on 3/11/01 at 12:29 (041040)

I also started it a couple weeks ago. I'm using the cream, and one or two tabs (1,000mg) a day. So far nothing. I did order some DMSO gel and began using it, along with the MSN cream two days ago. I'm going to get that MSN deep into my heel if it kills me! PF, your out of here :*)

Laters
BG

Scott R on 3/11/01 at 12:36 (041042)

Bob, you didn't noticed any improvement within 10 minutes of applying the DMSO? The stuff was miraculous for me.

Kay S on 3/11/01 at 13:05 (041047)

Hi Nancy
I also started taking MSM about ten days ago and unfortunately, haven't noticed anything yet either. However, I will do this the same way I have done with other OTC meds/vitamins: I will take them religiously the way they are intended, until I finish the whole bottle. That way at least I can say I tried for a month and if nothing happens, I don't buy them again. If I would see any improvement, I'd add them to my daily routine.
I'm glad you asked because I was wondering how everyone was doing also.
Kay

Nancy N on 3/11/01 at 13:09 (041049)

Kay--

I'm with you. I'll admit, I did not buy anything expensive--I usually buy my vitamins at Wal-Mart (having heard that their stuff can actually be better than the more expensive brands) and that's where I got the MSM, too. I have been taking it exclusively by mouth, and am wondering if the topical application is the key. I'll give it another week before I try that, though. I don't remember who else started taking it, but it'll be interesting to see how we all do. I have to keep reminding myself that just because it seems to be working for BarbNY doesn't mean it'll work for everyone...

We should all check in in another week or so and see if anything has changed.

AnnabelM on 3/11/01 at 21:11 (041104)

I have taken MSM over a month and used the cream for 3 weeks. No change. A gimmic I think.

Brian G on 3/12/01 at 07:30 (041132)

A gimmic? Maybe. The people who had some relief, what about them? Was it the power of suggestion? I thought the DMSO would help, but I'm still waiting. I haven't given up yet. I am wondering why no one from our latest 'test group' has found relief. Could it be our specif injuries are worse than someone who may have found relief?

BG

ellen w on 3/12/01 at 08:55 (041140)

Within the last week I've noticed a significant improvement. I've been taking a formula with 750 mg per capsule, and noticed no effects positive or negative, so I increased the dose to 3 capsules a day (the bottle says take 1 to 4 tablets daily). 2 weeks ago, while swimming, I was feeling pain while flexing my ankle during the breast stroke; last night, none. And the on and off pains running up the outer side of my ankle have also decreased. I haven't put this to the treadmill test (last time on the treadmill I had to stop after 10 minutes) but will let you know.

Is this because of the MSM?

Hard to tell. I also within the last two weeks switched to a new pair of shoes that has a steel shank for support, so it could be this. Or my PT exercises finally kicking in. Or 2 days of warmer weather.

I am feeling like I've turned a corner -- though I've had this feeling before, and then backslid.

Ellen

C on 3/12/01 at 10:56 (041149)

I've been taking MSM for three weeks now and NOTHING!! Heck, I've even been prescribed Medrol and NOTHING!!! AAHHHH! I'm so frustrated!! I still feel the prickly feeling along the outer part of my ankle. There's got to be some nerve entrapment there. My EMG said I was fine with all my nerves. Then what the??????

Barb-NY on 3/12/01 at 12:14 (041156)

As of last week I was ready to declare 'I'm cured'. I've been using MSM caps and cream for weeks now and every day brought significant improvement. I was even ready to stop visiting this board as often.

Then, last Friday, I did something stupid. At work I dragged 2 portable files (transfiles) across the room. They were about 70 pounds each. I was dragging them on carpet. Later that night my feet started to hurt again. I'm so mad at myself for this relapse. But today, I'm starting to feel better and hope that the MSM is kicking in again.

What this has tought me is that although I may FEEL cured, I really never will be. I have this for life and will have to start changing my behavior to prevent relapses.

I can see from this message thread that many have not felt any relief with MSM. Not all remedies will work for all people. I think the problem is that we all have PF in different ways and from different reasons.

It would be interesting to see if low-arched people have better results than high-arched people. Or if people without spurs have better results than those with spurs. Or if those with arch pain have better results than those with heel or forefoot pain.

Nancy N on 3/12/01 at 14:21 (041171)

Barb--

You make some interesting points. I do wonder if anyone else who has started with MSM is using it both topically and internally. I wanted to try it internally-only for a while to see if I needed to do it topically or not (I'm much more likely to take the pill than I am to take the time to mess with a cream, and I always like to know exactly what did or didn't work, so this seemed like a good way to go). I think I'll give it another week or so before trying it as a cream. It should be interesting to see the difference.

So are you a member of the high-arch or low-arch crowd? I have a pretty pronounced arch, according to the pedorthist--until I stand up, that is. Then it falls...

Barb-NY on 3/12/01 at 20:34 (041224)

I have 'normal' arches while sitting. When I stand they tend to collapse. I don't have any morning pain.

I've increased my dosage to 3 MSM pills a day until I recover from this setback.

Julie on 3/13/01 at 01:22 (041265)

Let's not be too quick to dismiss MSM as a 'gimmick'. It may work for some and not for others, for all sorts of reasons. It may work more quickly for some of those it does work for, and more slowly for others. Those it does work for may be being helped by something else as well (i.e. Ellen's shoes).

Most of us who are trying it have only been using it for a couple of weeks. I'd say that is too soon to make any judgements at all. Natural remedies aren't magic bullets, like painkillers.

Let's check in again a month from now.

I agree with you Barb: I really do think, hard as it may be to accept, that lots of us with PF are going to have to live with the possibility of it, and be vigilant. I don't find this difficult now that I've accepted it - it's just a matter of being realistic.

Julie on 3/13/01 at 01:29 (041267)

Nancy, I'm using MSM both topically and internally. I would guess that the pills, which are systemic, have more clout than the external cream. Rather like Ibuprofen pills/gel.

Brian G on 3/13/01 at 06:36 (041277)

I do wish the cream would have a higher MSN content. I bought mine at a health food store and I'm pretty sure it's only 15% MSN. Anybody have any cream that has a higher content?

BG

ellen w on 3/13/01 at 09:16 (041282)

You can also buy it in crystal/poweder form, and use it to dissolve in water for foot soaks. I wonder if you could make your own formulation by mixing crystals in with a cream or something like the ibuprofen gel?? Would be hard to figure out the dosage, but this doesn't seem to have anything that would burn the skin in it.

My dermatologist taught me a trick for intensifying the action of topically applied medications. You rub the medication in and then cover it with a patch product called duoderm. It's an OTC product, though I had to ask a local pharmacy to order specially for me. It's expensive, but it works. I was using a prescription corticosteriod cream called psorcan to treat a patch of psoriasis. By itself, this cream did nothing. But when covered, it cleared the condition right up. I was told that saran wrap would also work -- but the nice thing about the duoderm is that it's much less messy and will stay on through bathing, swimming, etc., and you can wear it to work.

Would this work for an anti-inflammatory? Don't know. Next time I see my dermatologist I'll ask her if she thinks it would have any effect.

Ellen

Carlw on 3/13/01 at 09:47 (041284)

Is DMSO available in Canada? The few places I found it on the net based out of the States did not ship to Canada.

Barb-NY on 3/13/01 at 12:17 (041308)

Try buying the powder form in bulk and mix it with your own lotion.