Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bone spur

Posted by Candy Richardson on 3/11/01 at 00:19 (040992)

My mother has foot pain and has been told by a doctor that she has a bone spur. I would like to know if it the same a a heel spur and if she should be persuaded to get surgery. She is not one to stay off her feet.Is this problem called an osteophyte? I am having trouble finding a site to give her advise and information on her problem. She believes she did the damage while entertaining my little nephew and was jumping off a merry go round several times to get him to laugh. She walks for exercise and is quite a busybody and is nervous about futher injury. She is 60 years old and quite healthy. She has never liked drinking milk even as a child. Please email me with any info I can look up or pass on to her. Thanks Candy

Re: Bone spur

Julie F on 3/11/01 at 02:01 (041008)

Candy, if you don't get a reply from a doctor today I suggest you re-post your question on the 'Ask the Foot Doctors' board. This one is for doctors to chew the fat with each other and I'm not sure how often they look at it - they're too busy fielding our problems on the other boards.

Dr. David S. Wander on 3/11/01 at 15:28 (041074)

Candy,

Bone 'spurs' can occur in many locations, and not necessarily the heel. An osteophytye is a bony growth that can occur following trauma, from arthritis, etc. Regardless, surgery is rarely the first option. The real answer to your question can not be given accurately, without knowing the exact site of the 'spur' or osteophyte. I strongly suggest that you should ask these same questions to the treating physician, and if you're not satisfied with the answer you receive, seek another opinion. I would certainly not feel comfortable with any physician that seems to be pushing surgery, without fully explaining the cause and treatment options.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/11/01 at 20:12 (041103)

I would have your mother read the online heelspur plantar fascia book. As you can see there are alot of non-surgical treatment. If your mother has had this probem for some time and done most of the traditional non-surgical treatment then surgery may be an option. There is also ESWT for chronic heel spur pain that is a very effective non-surgical treatment.

If this is a problem that has just started early then aggressive treatment is the key to avoiding chronic pain and or surgery. So ask questions even have your mother visit this web site. Many people on this site will try not to just hope that this will get better by itself. So lets start an effective treatment plan.

Patty M on 5/08/01 at hrmin (047082)

Last July I had bunion surgery and the second toe straightened with a pin. I still have pain on the ball of my foot. I think they are bone spurs. What can I do for the pain?

Julie F on 3/11/01 at 02:01 (041008)

Candy, if you don't get a reply from a doctor today I suggest you re-post your question on the 'Ask the Foot Doctors' board. This one is for doctors to chew the fat with each other and I'm not sure how often they look at it - they're too busy fielding our problems on the other boards.

Dr. David S. Wander on 3/11/01 at 15:28 (041074)

Candy,

Bone 'spurs' can occur in many locations, and not necessarily the heel. An osteophytye is a bony growth that can occur following trauma, from arthritis, etc. Regardless, surgery is rarely the first option. The real answer to your question can not be given accurately, without knowing the exact site of the 'spur' or osteophyte. I strongly suggest that you should ask these same questions to the treating physician, and if you're not satisfied with the answer you receive, seek another opinion. I would certainly not feel comfortable with any physician that seems to be pushing surgery, without fully explaining the cause and treatment options.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/11/01 at 20:12 (041103)

I would have your mother read the online heelspur plantar fascia book. As you can see there are alot of non-surgical treatment. If your mother has had this probem for some time and done most of the traditional non-surgical treatment then surgery may be an option. There is also ESWT for chronic heel spur pain that is a very effective non-surgical treatment.

If this is a problem that has just started early then aggressive treatment is the key to avoiding chronic pain and or surgery. So ask questions even have your mother visit this web site. Many people on this site will try not to just hope that this will get better by itself. So lets start an effective treatment plan.

Patty M on 5/08/01 at hrmin (047082)

Last July I had bunion surgery and the second toe straightened with a pin. I still have pain on the ball of my foot. I think they are bone spurs. What can I do for the pain?