Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Kay S, and re: eswt healing time

Posted by Cynthia D on 3/11/01 at 10:20 (041026)

Hi Kay, I didn't see your post earlier as I have just been quickly getting my hellspur.com fix periodically, as I just had a 7th birthday party yesterday for my daughter. We had 14 princesses come for a dress-up, make-up, bring your favorite stuffed doggy princess tea party! It was something else to plan, so it's kept me busy. I wish I could say it kept my mind off my feet, but nothing can these days!

I'll always welcome company to commisserate with - it really helps a lot, though I wish no one else had to go through this horrible pain. Kay, how much time did you wait before having your second treatment? Orbasone vs. Ossatron? How many volts, how many times? Was Dr. Z. your doc.?

You mentioned your pain. Are you taking Vioxx, or anything similiar. I tried to get off my Vioxx and was in too much pain to walk! It will be 5 weeks for me tomorrow. I thought I was off the crutches but found I just can't go anywhere where I need to walk much or stand very long without their support. A few glasses of wine help, too!

It gets so entertaining answering all those questions from people who don't understand - last night we went to a party at our kid's school. I started out with a long explanation, then just kept abbreviating as the night went on, then I finally just ended up saying, oh it's an old tennis injury acting up! Isn't it funny how our feet can dominate our lives?

Re: To Kay S, and re: eswt healing time

Kay S on 3/11/01 at 13:35 (041051)

Hi Cynthia
I had my first treatment Dec. 14th (all of this is bilateral, but my left is the worst foot) in NJ with Dr. Z. I had the second on Feb 12th. The first time I think he used 16 kv and the second was 18 and for a few jolts, up to 20, although I couldn't hold still for that very well. It was the Orbasone, of course. I am not on any regular antiinflammatory at the moment, though over the past five years, I don't think you can name one that I haven't taken. I decided to get off them for awhile before I had my TTS surgery in September because there was nothing that was helping much. I may try some Advil, Motrin, or another OTC one if I don't start seeing some improvement pretty soon because I need to do something.
I have difficulty standing also, but it is much better since the ESWT. Before that, I couldn't even stand for 30 seconds without losing my concentration. I don't say anything to anyone about my feet any more. My husband and sisters and kids know and when I am with them, they more or less assume that I am hurting and just drop me off at a door, or go get something for me instead of me getting up, etc. In general I try to limit my talking about it to once a day, except on this board. I decided if I have to think about it, that's enough. I get so sick of these feet in general that I have gotten good at pretending..............when I am not upright!
Yes, the pain does begin to dominate one's life, but that is something we all have to fight against with everything we have. As Wendyn so aptly put it a week or so ago, we must concentrate on what we CAN do rather than what we CANNOT do.
I am still very, very hopeful that I will soon start getting better. Waiting to see some improvement is wearing, I know, but so many people have been helped by ESWT that I cannot believe that I will fall into the negative category and have no intention of doing so!
I guess you are about a week ahead of me. I will watch for your posts and progress. Are you using the crutches all the time?
Your party sounds like fun. I bet those little girls loved it!
Kay

Cynthia D on 3/12/01 at 16:15 (041178)

Hi Kay: So you waited only 8 weeks before deciding to have #2? Would you say that at that 8 week point, were you better off than before you ever had ESWT? Are you in more pain now than after your first treatment? My pt asked me that and it kind of started me thinking. But I remind myself that it's a different pain, the old pf classic pain is gone for the most part. I just can't stand for any length of time, either. Sometimes I just get cross-eyed.

We have a few friends who are surgeons, you know, the cut first, ask questions later kind of surgeons. They all three (3!) remain skeptical of a good outcome for me so now when I see them, I ask them not to talk about it. The one I know best got clobberd on the head the other day by shaking his head when I was limping. I really like Wendy's positive outlook, too and remember some of her encouraging words from time to time.

I really thought I'd be back to tennis around now, so I'm dissapointed by that. We have Spring League tryouts on April first. I guess April Fool's gonna get me this year. Either that or the snow (or Diane)!

I wish someone could look into their crystal ball and tell me when I'll be all better. I'll bet we all wish that. I remain positive in my outlook, too that I will be one of the ones cured by this treatment.

Kay S on 3/12/01 at 20:09 (041220)

Hi Cynthia
The first time I had ESWT, I started getting improvement before six weeks, but I can't remember the exact time. But for me, it wasn't a LOT of improvement and I knew that I would have to go back more than once. Who knows, maybe I will end up getting the record for number of times of having ESWT? The thing I noticed the most is that even though I still had pain, it didn't get any worse at the end of the day like it used to. Now, I am not quite as 'good' as I was before this second treatment, but still hoping the healing will kick in and I will start to notice some significant improvement. One of the posters didn't notice any until after 10 weeks so there is a lot of time for hope.
I also had someone pooh-poohing this ESWT treatment (a doctor who is a friend of mine) but I keep telling him about it and I see him paying more and more attention, and I know he is hearing about it from other sources now too. I don't know why they aren't just happy that something can work rather than to tell you all the negatives about it.
So you hang in there, Cynthia, and keep hoping for more and more improvement for both of us! I am not giving up. I told Dr. Z that I would keep coming until his machine breaks.
Kay

Re: To Kay and Cynthia

Nancy S. on 3/12/01 at 22:08 (041242)

I can't post a lot these days, but I do read at least every night, and I just have to say that with your bold and positive attitudes I have a VERY strong feeling that you're both going to get control over this thing. More power to you!
Nancy

john h on 3/20/01 at 18:05 (041993)

cynthia: i have had PF for around 7 years (bi-laterial). i have had 2 ESWT treatments. i am 50% better than i was 2 years ago so there is hope even for long term sufferers. the answer is out there somewhere!

Kay S on 3/11/01 at 13:35 (041051)

Hi Cynthia
I had my first treatment Dec. 14th (all of this is bilateral, but my left is the worst foot) in NJ with Dr. Z. I had the second on Feb 12th. The first time I think he used 16 kv and the second was 18 and for a few jolts, up to 20, although I couldn't hold still for that very well. It was the Orbasone, of course. I am not on any regular antiinflammatory at the moment, though over the past five years, I don't think you can name one that I haven't taken. I decided to get off them for awhile before I had my TTS surgery in September because there was nothing that was helping much. I may try some Advil, Motrin, or another OTC one if I don't start seeing some improvement pretty soon because I need to do something.
I have difficulty standing also, but it is much better since the ESWT. Before that, I couldn't even stand for 30 seconds without losing my concentration. I don't say anything to anyone about my feet any more. My husband and sisters and kids know and when I am with them, they more or less assume that I am hurting and just drop me off at a door, or go get something for me instead of me getting up, etc. In general I try to limit my talking about it to once a day, except on this board. I decided if I have to think about it, that's enough. I get so sick of these feet in general that I have gotten good at pretending..............when I am not upright!
Yes, the pain does begin to dominate one's life, but that is something we all have to fight against with everything we have. As Wendyn so aptly put it a week or so ago, we must concentrate on what we CAN do rather than what we CANNOT do.
I am still very, very hopeful that I will soon start getting better. Waiting to see some improvement is wearing, I know, but so many people have been helped by ESWT that I cannot believe that I will fall into the negative category and have no intention of doing so!
I guess you are about a week ahead of me. I will watch for your posts and progress. Are you using the crutches all the time?
Your party sounds like fun. I bet those little girls loved it!
Kay

Cynthia D on 3/12/01 at 16:15 (041178)

Hi Kay: So you waited only 8 weeks before deciding to have #2? Would you say that at that 8 week point, were you better off than before you ever had ESWT? Are you in more pain now than after your first treatment? My pt asked me that and it kind of started me thinking. But I remind myself that it's a different pain, the old pf classic pain is gone for the most part. I just can't stand for any length of time, either. Sometimes I just get cross-eyed.

We have a few friends who are surgeons, you know, the cut first, ask questions later kind of surgeons. They all three (3!) remain skeptical of a good outcome for me so now when I see them, I ask them not to talk about it. The one I know best got clobberd on the head the other day by shaking his head when I was limping. I really like Wendy's positive outlook, too and remember some of her encouraging words from time to time.

I really thought I'd be back to tennis around now, so I'm dissapointed by that. We have Spring League tryouts on April first. I guess April Fool's gonna get me this year. Either that or the snow (or Diane)!

I wish someone could look into their crystal ball and tell me when I'll be all better. I'll bet we all wish that. I remain positive in my outlook, too that I will be one of the ones cured by this treatment.

Kay S on 3/12/01 at 20:09 (041220)

Hi Cynthia
The first time I had ESWT, I started getting improvement before six weeks, but I can't remember the exact time. But for me, it wasn't a LOT of improvement and I knew that I would have to go back more than once. Who knows, maybe I will end up getting the record for number of times of having ESWT? The thing I noticed the most is that even though I still had pain, it didn't get any worse at the end of the day like it used to. Now, I am not quite as 'good' as I was before this second treatment, but still hoping the healing will kick in and I will start to notice some significant improvement. One of the posters didn't notice any until after 10 weeks so there is a lot of time for hope.
I also had someone pooh-poohing this ESWT treatment (a doctor who is a friend of mine) but I keep telling him about it and I see him paying more and more attention, and I know he is hearing about it from other sources now too. I don't know why they aren't just happy that something can work rather than to tell you all the negatives about it.
So you hang in there, Cynthia, and keep hoping for more and more improvement for both of us! I am not giving up. I told Dr. Z that I would keep coming until his machine breaks.
Kay

Re: To Kay and Cynthia

Nancy S. on 3/12/01 at 22:08 (041242)

I can't post a lot these days, but I do read at least every night, and I just have to say that with your bold and positive attitudes I have a VERY strong feeling that you're both going to get control over this thing. More power to you!
Nancy

john h on 3/20/01 at 18:05 (041993)

cynthia: i have had PF for around 7 years (bi-laterial). i have had 2 ESWT treatments. i am 50% better than i was 2 years ago so there is hope even for long term sufferers. the answer is out there somewhere!