Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ideas? A walking cast injury??

Posted by Steve H. on 3/11/01 at 12:30 (041041)

HI,

I am new to this message board, but have found it very helpful. I have had about all the treatments for plantar fascitis... taping, inserts, cortisone shots, nerve block, splints, walking cast, and endoscopic surgery, along with tarsal tunnel release. The surgery made things better, but it seems to be worse again (surgery was in '97).

I have been in walking casts with the walking heels. Someone told me that you can damage nerves in your foot b/c of these things. At this point, my pain is in the heel, arch, and at worse, goes throughout my foot and into my ankle/lower leg. The worst pain is foot/ankle and is a burning sensation. I am wondering if maybe the walking cast made it worse?

I am also wondering if maybe I need to be in a hard, nonwalking cast for many weeks to let things heal up.

On top of all this, my other heel and arch now are hurting...prob. fascitis...b/c my weight is getting shifted more to that side.

What do you think is my next course of action? If you are in TX, do you know any good orthopods or podiatrists who could AGGRESSIVELY but ACCURATELY diagnose and treat my problem?

Steve

Re: Ideas? A walking cast injury??

Dr. Biehler on 3/12/01 at 10:11 (041148)

If the cast is put on too high it can put pressure on the common peronial nerve as it rounds the tibia at the top out side of your lower leg. Other than pressure at that point, casts usually don't cause nerve problems. From the rest of your question it sound like you need a full work up by your doctor. Dr. B.

Re: Ideas? A walking cast injury??

Dr. Biehler on 3/12/01 at 10:11 (041148)

If the cast is put on too high it can put pressure on the common peronial nerve as it rounds the tibia at the top out side of your lower leg. Other than pressure at that point, casts usually don't cause nerve problems. From the rest of your question it sound like you need a full work up by your doctor. Dr. B.