Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

lateral pain

Posted by Steve F. on 3/11/01 at 15:09 (041067)

Ihave had pain on the lateral side of my heel for over a year now. i am a runner but have not run for several months now, I can walk normally on it most of the time with some discomfort but if my weight should some for some reason shift to this side it can be pretty painful. I also have pain along the outer side of my arch.Have been seeing a Podiatristand am being treated for P.F. Do you think that the lateral pain is due to P.F. or is there possibly another cause? I do maintain exercising by riding a stationary bike which at times will cause some discomfort.Doctor is talking soft cast as possible treatment for 6 weeks or so.

Re: lateral pain

Dr. David S. Wander on 3/11/01 at 15:36 (041075)

Steve,

I would ask your doctor if he/she has assessed your peroneal tendons. The peroneal tendons (there are 2)run down the lateral (outside) aspect of the leg, and the lateral aspect of the ankle. The 'short' (brevis) tendon inserts at the base of the 5th metatarsal and the 'long' (longus) passes under the foot toward the medial side. Additionally, your doctor may want to determine if there is an entrapment of the nerve at the lateral ankle and heel. Discuss your feelings with your doctor and ask if an MRI or other study may be valuable in assessing your problem.

Re: lateral pain

Dr. David S. Wander on 3/11/01 at 15:36 (041075)

Steve,

I would ask your doctor if he/she has assessed your peroneal tendons. The peroneal tendons (there are 2)run down the lateral (outside) aspect of the leg, and the lateral aspect of the ankle. The 'short' (brevis) tendon inserts at the base of the 5th metatarsal and the 'long' (longus) passes under the foot toward the medial side. Additionally, your doctor may want to determine if there is an entrapment of the nerve at the lateral ankle and heel. Discuss your feelings with your doctor and ask if an MRI or other study may be valuable in assessing your problem.