Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question about orthotics and night splints.

Posted by Paula G. on 3/11/01 at 16:14 (041081)

Sorry but I have yet another question for all of you. About 3 weeks ago I first went to a podiatrist and he told me that I had pulled the fascia away from the bone in my left foot. He had taped my foot which made it feel a lot better.
A week after that I got night splints and a week after that I have received my orthotics. I am no better. Sometimes worse. My left foot still causes me great discomfort. Especially now in my ankle.
Question is that if I had pulled the fascia away, I had felt a tearing sensation about 2 weeks before seeing him, it isn't healed already is it?
How long does it take to heal and what should I do? The orthotics make it feel worse. I feel I have bulges under my arch area.
I am calling them tomorrow but don't know what I should ask..

Re: Question about orthotics and night splints.

john h on 3/11/01 at 18:49 (041092)

dr z or one of the other docs should weigh in on this but if you indeed tore the fascia it seem a night splint would not be in order.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/11/01 at 21:32 (041105)

I doubt whether you completely torn the pf at the insertion of the heel . Usually some very small micro-tears at the insertion. Now what to do . If you are having first step morning pain. Never go without shoe. How are you doing with the nite splint.? You may need taping with the orthosis for the next six weeks. If the orthosis is hurting you stop and slowly break them in. Start with one hour daily and then add another hour each and every day so long as it feel good. I like heat. Hot and cold treatment could help you alot.

john h on 3/11/01 at 18:49 (041092)

dr z or one of the other docs should weigh in on this but if you indeed tore the fascia it seem a night splint would not be in order.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/11/01 at 21:32 (041105)

I doubt whether you completely torn the pf at the insertion of the heel . Usually some very small micro-tears at the insertion. Now what to do . If you are having first step morning pain. Never go without shoe. How are you doing with the nite splint.? You may need taping with the orthosis for the next six weeks. If the orthosis is hurting you stop and slowly break them in. Start with one hour daily and then add another hour each and every day so long as it feel good. I like heat. Hot and cold treatment could help you alot.