Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Swollen heel

Posted by Jan R. on 3/12/01 at 07:01 (041130)

I have had PF in my right foot for about a year (I suffered with PF in my left foot 3 years ago which resulted in 5 cortisone shots and PT which finally helped). After much pain in my right heel, I went to a new Pod. in Nov. and relented to a cortisone shot in my heel which help about 70% of the pain for a month or two. However, for the last 4 weeks I not only have the pain back, but my heel has been slightly swollen and I can't seem to get the swelling to go down. I have tried ice which helps A LITTLE until I am on my feet for a while. I have 2 questions, is there anything else I can try to help the swelling in my heel? And, what's the maximum # of cortisone shots a person should have? Thanks!

Re: Swollen heel

Dr. Biehler on 3/12/01 at 09:00 (041141)

Compression is usefull in bringing swelling down. The unna boot is a soft csat which is made for this. Dr. B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/12/01 at 14:05 (041168)

Hi,

You could have a stress fracture. This is a tiny micro-fracture of the heel bone from just too much stress or weight or standing on the heel bone.

Dr. B's is right on the money. If no improvement then give your foot doctor a call for further evaluation.

Dr. Biehler on 3/12/01 at 09:00 (041141)

Compression is usefull in bringing swelling down. The unna boot is a soft csat which is made for this. Dr. B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/12/01 at 14:05 (041168)

Hi,

You could have a stress fracture. This is a tiny micro-fracture of the heel bone from just too much stress or weight or standing on the heel bone.

Dr. B's is right on the money. If no improvement then give your foot doctor a call for further evaluation.