Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shoes

Posted by CatherineL on 3/12/01 at 08:44 (041138)

I have PF and bursitis in my heels for about 10 months. The PF is in my left foot. I'm size 5 1/2 with high arches.

I have full length orthotics which have helped somewhat (and I've also taken your advise and started taping as well). The orthotics did have to be sent back to cut out a piece and pad where the PF pain was (right under the front left side of my heel). This has helped, and I've found that cusioning seems to help as long as I have a stable shoe with the orthotics.

I'm a little afraid to try Birkenstocks because they are so hard and ridgid. I've been tending towards sandles that have a molded footbed and some cushion to them, and shoes that have room for my orthotics but also have some cushion in the heel.

What do you think?

Thanx

CL

Re: Shoes

Dr. Biehler on 3/12/01 at 10:06 (041147)

Bursitis tends to respond well to cushioning or being off weighted. Dr. B.

wendyn on 3/12/01 at 13:28 (041166)

Catherine - there are a few Birks with softer foot beds - a very good place to start. Do a search on this site under Birkenstocks and you will find more information than you know what to do with!!!!!!

CatherineL on 3/12/01 at 16:32 (041181)

Thanx,

I wasn't sure why I tended towards cushioning, but the Bursitis is probably why.

What is off weighted?

Thanx

CL

Wendy, Thanx.

Camilla on 3/13/01 at 18:17 (041352)

Catherine L.

I've searched for shoes EVERYWHERE. Some suggestions...

ALL SHOES NEED REMOVABLE INNER SOLE TO ACCOMODATE ORTHOTIC

THINK!-expensive, all leather and wear like iron...fashionable too.

Naot

Birkenstock

New Balance

Try any shoe store that caters to speciality shoes. Most good shoes stores have someone that fits you with the right size and style. Additionally, make sure they have a generous return and/or exchange policy. Goes without saying that I wear my new shoes around the house first to make sure they work with my orthotics and are comfortable.

The right shoe and orthotic made the differnce of being on my feet and being able to work or not walking at all.

Camilla

Dr. Biehler on 3/13/01 at 18:37 (041356)

Some orthotics are made so that when your heel strikes the ground the pressure is transfered and spread out through the orthotic so your heel doesn't absorbe all the weight. This is called off weighting. At one time I had an extremely painful bursitis in my heel. Using a ridgid orthotic I could walk. With out it I had to limp. I never would have believed a ridgid orthotic could make such a distance unless it was my own foot. Dr. B.

Dr. Biehler on 3/12/01 at 10:06 (041147)

Bursitis tends to respond well to cushioning or being off weighted. Dr. B.

wendyn on 3/12/01 at 13:28 (041166)

Catherine - there are a few Birks with softer foot beds - a very good place to start. Do a search on this site under Birkenstocks and you will find more information than you know what to do with!!!!!!

CatherineL on 3/12/01 at 16:32 (041181)

Thanx,

I wasn't sure why I tended towards cushioning, but the Bursitis is probably why.

What is off weighted?

Thanx

CL

Wendy, Thanx.

Camilla on 3/13/01 at 18:17 (041352)

Catherine L.

I've searched for shoes EVERYWHERE. Some suggestions...

ALL SHOES NEED REMOVABLE INNER SOLE TO ACCOMODATE ORTHOTIC

THINK!-expensive, all leather and wear like iron...fashionable too.

Naot

Birkenstock

New Balance

Try any shoe store that caters to speciality shoes. Most good shoes stores have someone that fits you with the right size and style. Additionally, make sure they have a generous return and/or exchange policy. Goes without saying that I wear my new shoes around the house first to make sure they work with my orthotics and are comfortable.

The right shoe and orthotic made the differnce of being on my feet and being able to work or not walking at all.

Camilla

Dr. Biehler on 3/13/01 at 18:37 (041356)

Some orthotics are made so that when your heel strikes the ground the pressure is transfered and spread out through the orthotic so your heel doesn't absorbe all the weight. This is called off weighting. At one time I had an extremely painful bursitis in my heel. Using a ridgid orthotic I could walk. With out it I had to limp. I never would have believed a ridgid orthotic could make such a distance unless it was my own foot. Dr. B.