Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Lori E re: shoes and progress

Posted by Cynthia D on 3/12/01 at 16:30 (041180)

First of all, I wanted to thank you for recommending the New Balance 851's. I put them on my 'things to do' list a while ago, and finally ordered some over the web. They are great with my orthotics and they really bend at just the right place, at the ball of the foot, like you said. My old shoes for tennis bend more at the middle/arch area - ouch. My feet are happier now with these 851's.

I realized that we missed each other at Dr. Z's by 3 days back in Feb., too bad. I was wondering how you're doing now at 5 weeks after treatment #2, and how and why you decided to go for treatment #2. Are you better off now than at 5 weeks after treatment #1? Or do you remember. Sometimes I think I should keep a diary, if for no other reason than to help someone in the future, LOL. Thanks for your answers.

Re: To Lori E re: shoes and progress

Lori E. on 3/13/01 at 16:43 (041342)

Cynthia,
I am glad you are happy with the shoes. They were the ones that were recommended by the pedorthist I visited with at the shoe store. I have not gotten around to ordering mine yet. I am still wearing my Born boots outdoors. (They don't bend either.) It snowed another 6 inches here yesterday. I am getting sick of the snow.
I have been doing better. Last week I had another pain level two day. This week it is hard to tell. I have picked up a virus and my whole body is kind of achy. So my feet are achy too, but it is not that glass in my heel feeling. I figure once I feel better my feet will be feeling better too.
I decided to get the treatment in Feb. because my progress had stalled out. I am doing better than 5 weeks after the first treatment. I keep a pain level journal and I have been tracking my progress that way. It makes it really easy to see how I have been doing over time. It is also easy to go back and check where I was before. The visual encourages me when I can see a downward trend.
It only takes a few minutes a month to set it up on some graph paper and then about a minute a day to keep up on it. You might want to try it, it is easier than a diary or log. Plus it it easy to show your doctor your progress.
I hope I answered all of your questions. It is too bad we missed each other at Dr. Z's. Good luck and thanks for asking.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/13/01 at 20:22 (041383)

AT first I wondered about this and maybe it was too much focus on your feet but I though about this and this is very scientific. The trend of improvement is what really matter. Sometimes we forget what it was like in the past

My definition of trend is very important. You will and can have ups and downs but the direction of improvement over a months time will show you exactly if in fact you are improving and it will also show you if you really study the graph what helped the improvement and what didn't .

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/13/01 at 20:24 (041384)

Cynthia how is the right foot. I remember that right after the treatment there was no pain and ALOT of pain in the left foot. What is the status of the right foot at this time.

Re: To Lori E. and Dr. Z. to answer your question

Cynthia D on 3/13/01 at 22:07 (041402)

Lori, I seem to have the same virus as you have. I have been achy all over, particularly in the joints, and feel generally 'lousy'. It's not bad enough to make me go to bed, but just to feel run down. A friend's kid has this now, too. Where do you live? Maybe something's going around.

I wish I had been keeping track of my progress, too. I will get started on a chart if I can make the time. I hope this virus thing is the reason that my feet seem to be worse the past 2 days.

Hi Dr. Z. Both feet seem to be having the same amount of 'fun' at the same party. The left foot got much better, at least I can take some steps without limping. But the right one woke up and started hurting again a while back. They are pretty much equal now in the level of pain, I'd say I'm typically still at a lowest point of 0 sitting with heels hanging off something, 1-2 lying down, with heels touching something, but when standing, I'm still around a 4 starting out, then I RAPIDLY escalate to a 7 or 8! I stop and sit so I don't go to a 9 or 10. I really can't walk much yet unless I use crutches. And forget standing still (no dishes at least!). Funny thing, the only way I can walk with the crutches is if I put my left foot forward as I swing both feet forward together, so I'm using my left foot more. The left foot continues to have numbness parallel to the arch. I have been having massage therapy and will get some pt appointments lined up over the next few weeks.

I still am holding onto my belief that I will get good results from this. What makes the waiting hard is that I'm still worse off than before I had the procedure, but it's just been five weeks. Some of my surgeon friends remain skeptical. Let's prove them wrong! OK, well you asked, so there it is.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/13/01 at 22:18 (041407)

Between week six and twelve is going to be an important time frame and this will tell us the results.

Re: Can't wait.

Cynthia D on 3/14/01 at 08:55 (041427)

I can't wait for that! I'm a little better today, BTW. Mostly pain only in the center of both heels.

If this doesn't work, I will be coming to get that stuff in the needles that takes all the pain away...

Lori E. on 3/14/01 at 11:33 (041447)

Cynthia,
I live in MN and I got this nasty bug from my sister. She got it from her vet clinic so we have dubbed it the 'Westgate' virus. I am feeling bad enough to be in bed or on the couch for most of the day. If I hadn't had a flu shot I would think that I have a touch of the flu.
I have been sneezing since Sat. and really feeling lousy since Sunday. I can tell you that my feet felt worse on Sun. and Mon., Tues they were back to normal. Today so far they feel pretty good. Maybe all the time spent off my feet being sick has ended up helping a bit. But I can't wait to get back to my normal routine. Get well soon and stay off those feet!

Re: Hey ladies! (And Dr. Z.)

Jill P on 3/14/01 at 14:56 (041479)

Hi Lori and Cynthia! Hello to Dr. Z. too!

I am encouraged by reading everyone's posts because I was feeling like everyone else but me was doing just great so soon after their ESWT treatments. I am getting better but VERY slowly which gets frustrating. Cynthia, I too am worse off than before treatment, but I keep reminding myself that this is important healing time so I must be patient. I just hope I can be healed up for Disney but worst case I guess I will ride in a wheel chair while we're there. Grandma can push one kid in a stroller, Grandpa the other, and my DH can push me,LOL!

I too have up and down days with the last two weekends being bad but over all healing. I can tell because I am finally able to walk in the house without the crutches. I am still limping along but at times it is much better. When my feet are tired, they hurt more and I limp more. Once yesterday I had one period where I almost walked normally for a short distance!

I am still using crutches when we go out to eat or to preschool, but mostly just sticking to home as taking my 1 yr old through the parking lot without being able to hold on to her because of the crutches is too dangerous. Now with the fresh snow and slush, crutches are hard to do at all even if I didn't have kids! I can't go very far on the crutches without getting really tired out. I just sent an application to Dr. Z to get another parking permit as my will expire on the 21st (a week from today) and there is no way I could go anywhere without it. (Like I said, not that I am really able to go anywhere but preschool, but when I am finally able to get out I will still need it for a while I am sure.)

My mom was kind enough to take me grocery shopping (pushing the cart and all) while I used my grandma's wheel chair to pick stuff out. I am hoping to get her to take me to Target with the wheel chair too as we really need stuff. (Lori, I am having Target withdrawl too!) Jeff's work party is this weekend too with a nice dinner and then we're going to a comedey gallery which I will have to do on crutches and probably need to be let off at the door to each place. It's downtown so I don't know how the parking will all work out. UGH! I can't make it very far with crutches. I know I will look a sight wearing a nice dress and black tennis shoes (figured they were dressier than the white) and hobbling around on crutches!

Happy healing everyone and may God grant us the patience we need! :) Jill

Re: Hey ladies! I forgot

Jill P on 3/14/01 at 14:58 (041480)

to wish you both speedy recoveries! Hope you are feeling better soon! Maybe God is working in mysterious ways by making you rest more with the virus to heal your feet. Ya never know! :)

Re: Hoof and Mouth Disease?

Cynthia D on 3/14/01 at 16:31 (041488)

Oh no, you got your virus from your sister who has a vetinerian clinic? Please don't tell us that you could have hoof and mouth disease on top of everything else? Just a little funny to make you feel better. I am tip-top once again today, except for my poor hooves, of course!

Re: Jill and Disney

Cynthia D on 3/14/01 at 16:39 (041490)

Hi Jill! I was wondering how you are doing. It looks like we had the same reaction to ESWT. Are you glad you only did one foot? At least you can stay off one more easily than staying off two like me! I remember the day I came down the stairs like a 'normal' person - I felt so good! And walking without limping, all these improvements do make you optomistic. I'm still on crutches when the walking will be more than 25 feet or so, too.

We are going to Disney next week! Yep, Wednesday and Thursday. I'll be scoping out all the latest trends in wheelchair fashion and accessibility for you. Also, I'm requesting a wheelchair for my hotel - too far through the lobbies and hallways in Disney for crutches. I'd be worn out. What a pathetic sight I'll be when I would usually consider Disney 'a walk in the park', but I will hold my head up high and do what I have to do to enjoy our vacation and being with my family.

Take care. It's good to hear from you.

Lori E. on 3/14/01 at 17:06 (041495)

Actually, she worked in the clinic as an assistant. She had her last day there today and is starting at a new vet clinic next week.
I guess this is just a little something for us all to remember them by :p No please no references to hoof and mouth here, please! :) Take care of those hooves yourself.

Re: Were you all on crutches before EWST?

Beverly on 3/14/01 at 19:08 (041505)

Hi Girls!

I see two of you are on crutches. Were you on crutches before the EWST or is this a post-EWST occurrance? I know I've read that sometimes EWST makes you feel worse before it makes you feel better; so I was just wondering.
I can't do crutches (Tried for awhile too hard on old neck and shoulder injury that otherwise is usually ok thanks to massage.)
Thanks,
Beverly

Cynthia D on 3/15/01 at 13:30 (041559)

Hi Beverly. No, crutches are not mandatory and many don't use them post ESWT, but I find that any amount of help I can give to my feet right now equals the payback of faster healing and less pain.

The first few weeks, I just limped, leaned on counters, rolled around the house in my office chair, and tried not to walk at all for any reason. (too painful).

Then when I got more active and began leaving the house, I thought crutches would be a good idea, and they are. I hope to leave them behind real soon. It's true, you do get worse before you get better. ESWT is a non-invasive surgical technique, which injures the tissues, forcing a healing process, and you have to take the time to heal. Hope this helps. Are you going to have it soon?

Beverly on 3/15/01 at 15:39 (041567)

Hi Cynthia,

Yes, I hope to have EWST this summer. Trying to loose 20 lbs in the meantime. (An uphill battle!) I'm glad you see progress being made.
I'm delaying this until the summer so I can loose a bit before the EWST and to give Texas docs time to get more experience under their belts. It's only been here in my area a few months. Also, I'm hoping that by then it will be more familiar to insurance and perhaps be covered.
Thanks,
Beverly

diane on 3/15/01 at 20:11 (041589)

i want to know how your doing to and the end of the waiting period ok hi dr z.

diane on 3/15/01 at 20:17 (041590)

GURL FREN U R CARAYZY!!!

DIANE on 3/15/01 at 20:21 (041591)

U R NUTSO GURL. BUT WE LOVE YOU.I HOPE OUR FEELING BETTER.where did you get foot and mouth dieases.i am gonna e-mail ya. i would really like to compare notes on treatment to make sure i ain't cheatin myself. i am going tomarrow to get another pair of high dollar orthodics.i will write ya soon . see ya gurl

Re: Where to get NB shoes

Brian G on 3/16/01 at 21:52 (041682)

Hi Lori,

I needed a new pain of shoes. Who doesn't, right. I checked out the New Balance 851's and found they were a very popular shoe for a couple years, but is no longer manufactured. NB then put out the 852 and 853 models. They did not get very good reviews. The bottoms were about the same, but the tops were too sloppy. So this year NB decided to go back to the original 851 design and make just a few improvements, keeping everything that was right with the original 851's, but they are now called 854's.

Te original 851's can still be found on some internet running shoe sites, but the sizes are limited. I couldn't find my size. I found an advertisement that sells the new 854's for $77. They retail for $90. I then went to my local shoe store to check out the 854's and too make sure I was going to order the right size. They had my size, and felt good when I tried them on. They really help with over pronantion. After trying them on, I showed the salesman the ad and asked him if he could match it. He beat it, he let me have them for $75. Never hurts to ask :*)

This is the information from the ad that will sell the new 854's for $77, no tax and free shipping:

If the shoe fits
1-800-SHOEFITS
http://www.shoefits.com
open M-F, 9 to 5 EST

I don't know anything about this place, but the ad is in a national magazine called, Runner's World. Hope this helps. Thanks for the original info, Lori.

BG

Re: I didn't get NB shoes, but I discovered Nordstroms

Lori E. on 3/17/01 at 13:06 (041720)

Brian,
I didn't get the NB's because I don't over-pronate and wanted to find them locally to try them on without having to go thru the trouble of shipping them back if they didn't work.(I know alot of us have gone thru that hassle.)I originally found the info on the 851's because they said they were good for underpronaters.
Good news though, I found a great source for shoes this weekend. I went to Nordstrom's at Mall of America and the salesman was very helpful and informative. He had PF himself, (he even gave me the name of a doctor at the Mayo clinic who helped cure his PF.) He was wearing Mephisto shoes. He recommended them as being very helpful. I could believe him at least since he was wearing them and had a job where he was on his feet all day. But we are all different.
At least I found a shoe place where they were informed, understanding and weren't trying to tell me how my feet are. You know the type, 'Birkenstock Arizona(...Ecco, Joseph Siebel,Dansko) are the ONLY shoe for PF, he actually tried to find a shoe that really fit well and that gave me the support I needed. I tried on alot of shoes yesterday. The selection there is GREAT! I bought some shoes yesterday, I will let you know how it turns out. I don't want to report anything yet, I don't want to jinx it.
I am glad the info helped you all on the board. I am still looking for the 'perfect' shoe. Wish me luck.

Kurt Kaufman DPM on 3/17/01 at 22:27 (041750)

We have had excellant results with patients using http://www.newbalancewebexpress.com

Camilla A. Cook on 3/17/01 at 22:46 (041751)

New Balance can be bought through Road Runner.com on the Internet or through their catalog. You can join their club, I think it was $25.00, and then the price is some lower and the shipping is free. Great return policy.

Recently a purchased a pair of 587. This a running shoe that easily accomodates my orthotic. I was also told that it provides more stablitiy than a walking shoe. They were right. Long story short...I ordered the shoes without trying them on and they were to wide. St. Louis has a New Balance store in Richmond Heights, MO. and they were great!!! They fit the right size and did an even exchanged.

Hope this helps.
Camilla

P.S. I've also worn the 841. Recently, I think they changed the LS and it doesn't fit with my orthotic as well.

Lori E. on 3/13/01 at 16:43 (041342)

Cynthia,
I am glad you are happy with the shoes. They were the ones that were recommended by the pedorthist I visited with at the shoe store. I have not gotten around to ordering mine yet. I am still wearing my Born boots outdoors. (They don't bend either.) It snowed another 6 inches here yesterday. I am getting sick of the snow.
I have been doing better. Last week I had another pain level two day. This week it is hard to tell. I have picked up a virus and my whole body is kind of achy. So my feet are achy too, but it is not that glass in my heel feeling. I figure once I feel better my feet will be feeling better too.
I decided to get the treatment in Feb. because my progress had stalled out. I am doing better than 5 weeks after the first treatment. I keep a pain level journal and I have been tracking my progress that way. It makes it really easy to see how I have been doing over time. It is also easy to go back and check where I was before. The visual encourages me when I can see a downward trend.
It only takes a few minutes a month to set it up on some graph paper and then about a minute a day to keep up on it. You might want to try it, it is easier than a diary or log. Plus it it easy to show your doctor your progress.
I hope I answered all of your questions. It is too bad we missed each other at Dr. Z's. Good luck and thanks for asking.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/13/01 at 20:22 (041383)

AT first I wondered about this and maybe it was too much focus on your feet but I though about this and this is very scientific. The trend of improvement is what really matter. Sometimes we forget what it was like in the past

My definition of trend is very important. You will and can have ups and downs but the direction of improvement over a months time will show you exactly if in fact you are improving and it will also show you if you really study the graph what helped the improvement and what didn't .

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/13/01 at 20:24 (041384)

Cynthia how is the right foot. I remember that right after the treatment there was no pain and ALOT of pain in the left foot. What is the status of the right foot at this time.

Cynthia D on 3/13/01 at 22:07 (041402)

Lori, I seem to have the same virus as you have. I have been achy all over, particularly in the joints, and feel generally 'lousy'. It's not bad enough to make me go to bed, but just to feel run down. A friend's kid has this now, too. Where do you live? Maybe something's going around.

I wish I had been keeping track of my progress, too. I will get started on a chart if I can make the time. I hope this virus thing is the reason that my feet seem to be worse the past 2 days.

Hi Dr. Z. Both feet seem to be having the same amount of 'fun' at the same party. The left foot got much better, at least I can take some steps without limping. But the right one woke up and started hurting again a while back. They are pretty much equal now in the level of pain, I'd say I'm typically still at a lowest point of 0 sitting with heels hanging off something, 1-2 lying down, with heels touching something, but when standing, I'm still around a 4 starting out, then I RAPIDLY escalate to a 7 or 8! I stop and sit so I don't go to a 9 or 10. I really can't walk much yet unless I use crutches. And forget standing still (no dishes at least!). Funny thing, the only way I can walk with the crutches is if I put my left foot forward as I swing both feet forward together, so I'm using my left foot more. The left foot continues to have numbness parallel to the arch. I have been having massage therapy and will get some pt appointments lined up over the next few weeks.

I still am holding onto my belief that I will get good results from this. What makes the waiting hard is that I'm still worse off than before I had the procedure, but it's just been five weeks. Some of my surgeon friends remain skeptical. Let's prove them wrong! OK, well you asked, so there it is.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/13/01 at 22:18 (041407)

Between week six and twelve is going to be an important time frame and this will tell us the results.

Cynthia D on 3/14/01 at 08:55 (041427)

I can't wait for that! I'm a little better today, BTW. Mostly pain only in the center of both heels.

If this doesn't work, I will be coming to get that stuff in the needles that takes all the pain away...

Lori E. on 3/14/01 at 11:33 (041447)

Cynthia,
I live in MN and I got this nasty bug from my sister. She got it from her vet clinic so we have dubbed it the 'Westgate' virus. I am feeling bad enough to be in bed or on the couch for most of the day. If I hadn't had a flu shot I would think that I have a touch of the flu.
I have been sneezing since Sat. and really feeling lousy since Sunday. I can tell you that my feet felt worse on Sun. and Mon., Tues they were back to normal. Today so far they feel pretty good. Maybe all the time spent off my feet being sick has ended up helping a bit. But I can't wait to get back to my normal routine. Get well soon and stay off those feet!

Re: Hey ladies! (And Dr. Z.)

Jill P on 3/14/01 at 14:56 (041479)

Hi Lori and Cynthia! Hello to Dr. Z. too!

I am encouraged by reading everyone's posts because I was feeling like everyone else but me was doing just great so soon after their ESWT treatments. I am getting better but VERY slowly which gets frustrating. Cynthia, I too am worse off than before treatment, but I keep reminding myself that this is important healing time so I must be patient. I just hope I can be healed up for Disney but worst case I guess I will ride in a wheel chair while we're there. Grandma can push one kid in a stroller, Grandpa the other, and my DH can push me,LOL!

I too have up and down days with the last two weekends being bad but over all healing. I can tell because I am finally able to walk in the house without the crutches. I am still limping along but at times it is much better. When my feet are tired, they hurt more and I limp more. Once yesterday I had one period where I almost walked normally for a short distance!

I am still using crutches when we go out to eat or to preschool, but mostly just sticking to home as taking my 1 yr old through the parking lot without being able to hold on to her because of the crutches is too dangerous. Now with the fresh snow and slush, crutches are hard to do at all even if I didn't have kids! I can't go very far on the crutches without getting really tired out. I just sent an application to Dr. Z to get another parking permit as my will expire on the 21st (a week from today) and there is no way I could go anywhere without it. (Like I said, not that I am really able to go anywhere but preschool, but when I am finally able to get out I will still need it for a while I am sure.)

My mom was kind enough to take me grocery shopping (pushing the cart and all) while I used my grandma's wheel chair to pick stuff out. I am hoping to get her to take me to Target with the wheel chair too as we really need stuff. (Lori, I am having Target withdrawl too!) Jeff's work party is this weekend too with a nice dinner and then we're going to a comedey gallery which I will have to do on crutches and probably need to be let off at the door to each place. It's downtown so I don't know how the parking will all work out. UGH! I can't make it very far with crutches. I know I will look a sight wearing a nice dress and black tennis shoes (figured they were dressier than the white) and hobbling around on crutches!

Happy healing everyone and may God grant us the patience we need! :) Jill

Re: Hey ladies! I forgot

Jill P on 3/14/01 at 14:58 (041480)

to wish you both speedy recoveries! Hope you are feeling better soon! Maybe God is working in mysterious ways by making you rest more with the virus to heal your feet. Ya never know! :)

Cynthia D on 3/14/01 at 16:31 (041488)

Oh no, you got your virus from your sister who has a vetinerian clinic? Please don't tell us that you could have hoof and mouth disease on top of everything else? Just a little funny to make you feel better. I am tip-top once again today, except for my poor hooves, of course!

Re: Jill and Disney

Cynthia D on 3/14/01 at 16:39 (041490)

Hi Jill! I was wondering how you are doing. It looks like we had the same reaction to ESWT. Are you glad you only did one foot? At least you can stay off one more easily than staying off two like me! I remember the day I came down the stairs like a 'normal' person - I felt so good! And walking without limping, all these improvements do make you optomistic. I'm still on crutches when the walking will be more than 25 feet or so, too.

We are going to Disney next week! Yep, Wednesday and Thursday. I'll be scoping out all the latest trends in wheelchair fashion and accessibility for you. Also, I'm requesting a wheelchair for my hotel - too far through the lobbies and hallways in Disney for crutches. I'd be worn out. What a pathetic sight I'll be when I would usually consider Disney 'a walk in the park', but I will hold my head up high and do what I have to do to enjoy our vacation and being with my family.

Take care. It's good to hear from you.

Lori E. on 3/14/01 at 17:06 (041495)

Actually, she worked in the clinic as an assistant. She had her last day there today and is starting at a new vet clinic next week.
I guess this is just a little something for us all to remember them by :p No please no references to hoof and mouth here, please! :) Take care of those hooves yourself.

Beverly on 3/14/01 at 19:08 (041505)

Hi Girls!

I see two of you are on crutches. Were you on crutches before the EWST or is this a post-EWST occurrance? I know I've read that sometimes EWST makes you feel worse before it makes you feel better; so I was just wondering.
I can't do crutches (Tried for awhile too hard on old neck and shoulder injury that otherwise is usually ok thanks to massage.)
Thanks,
Beverly

Cynthia D on 3/15/01 at 13:30 (041559)

Hi Beverly. No, crutches are not mandatory and many don't use them post ESWT, but I find that any amount of help I can give to my feet right now equals the payback of faster healing and less pain.

The first few weeks, I just limped, leaned on counters, rolled around the house in my office chair, and tried not to walk at all for any reason. (too painful).

Then when I got more active and began leaving the house, I thought crutches would be a good idea, and they are. I hope to leave them behind real soon. It's true, you do get worse before you get better. ESWT is a non-invasive surgical technique, which injures the tissues, forcing a healing process, and you have to take the time to heal. Hope this helps. Are you going to have it soon?

Beverly on 3/15/01 at 15:39 (041567)

Hi Cynthia,

Yes, I hope to have EWST this summer. Trying to loose 20 lbs in the meantime. (An uphill battle!) I'm glad you see progress being made.
I'm delaying this until the summer so I can loose a bit before the EWST and to give Texas docs time to get more experience under their belts. It's only been here in my area a few months. Also, I'm hoping that by then it will be more familiar to insurance and perhaps be covered.
Thanks,
Beverly

diane on 3/15/01 at 20:11 (041589)

i want to know how your doing to and the end of the waiting period ok hi dr z.

diane on 3/15/01 at 20:17 (041590)

GURL FREN U R CARAYZY!!!

DIANE on 3/15/01 at 20:21 (041591)

U R NUTSO GURL. BUT WE LOVE YOU.I HOPE OUR FEELING BETTER.where did you get foot and mouth dieases.i am gonna e-mail ya. i would really like to compare notes on treatment to make sure i ain't cheatin myself. i am going tomarrow to get another pair of high dollar orthodics.i will write ya soon . see ya gurl

Brian G on 3/16/01 at 21:52 (041682)

Hi Lori,

I needed a new pain of shoes. Who doesn't, right. I checked out the New Balance 851's and found they were a very popular shoe for a couple years, but is no longer manufactured. NB then put out the 852 and 853 models. They did not get very good reviews. The bottoms were about the same, but the tops were too sloppy. So this year NB decided to go back to the original 851 design and make just a few improvements, keeping everything that was right with the original 851's, but they are now called 854's.

Te original 851's can still be found on some internet running shoe sites, but the sizes are limited. I couldn't find my size. I found an advertisement that sells the new 854's for $77. They retail for $90. I then went to my local shoe store to check out the 854's and too make sure I was going to order the right size. They had my size, and felt good when I tried them on. They really help with over pronantion. After trying them on, I showed the salesman the ad and asked him if he could match it. He beat it, he let me have them for $75. Never hurts to ask :*)

This is the information from the ad that will sell the new 854's for $77, no tax and free shipping:

If the shoe fits
1-800-SHOEFITS
http://www.shoefits.com
open M-F, 9 to 5 EST

I don't know anything about this place, but the ad is in a national magazine called, Runner's World. Hope this helps. Thanks for the original info, Lori.

BG

Re: I didn't get NB shoes, but I discovered Nordstroms

Lori E. on 3/17/01 at 13:06 (041720)

Brian,
I didn't get the NB's because I don't over-pronate and wanted to find them locally to try them on without having to go thru the trouble of shipping them back if they didn't work.(I know alot of us have gone thru that hassle.)I originally found the info on the 851's because they said they were good for underpronaters.
Good news though, I found a great source for shoes this weekend. I went to Nordstrom's at Mall of America and the salesman was very helpful and informative. He had PF himself, (he even gave me the name of a doctor at the Mayo clinic who helped cure his PF.) He was wearing Mephisto shoes. He recommended them as being very helpful. I could believe him at least since he was wearing them and had a job where he was on his feet all day. But we are all different.
At least I found a shoe place where they were informed, understanding and weren't trying to tell me how my feet are. You know the type, 'Birkenstock Arizona(...Ecco, Joseph Siebel,Dansko) are the ONLY shoe for PF, he actually tried to find a shoe that really fit well and that gave me the support I needed. I tried on alot of shoes yesterday. The selection there is GREAT! I bought some shoes yesterday, I will let you know how it turns out. I don't want to report anything yet, I don't want to jinx it.
I am glad the info helped you all on the board. I am still looking for the 'perfect' shoe. Wish me luck.

Kurt Kaufman DPM on 3/17/01 at 22:27 (041750)

We have had excellant results with patients using http://www.newbalancewebexpress.com

Camilla A. Cook on 3/17/01 at 22:46 (041751)

New Balance can be bought through Road Runner.com on the Internet or through their catalog. You can join their club, I think it was $25.00, and then the price is some lower and the shipping is free. Great return policy.

Recently a purchased a pair of 587. This a running shoe that easily accomodates my orthotic. I was also told that it provides more stablitiy than a walking shoe. They were right. Long story short...I ordered the shoes without trying them on and they were to wide. St. Louis has a New Balance store in Richmond Heights, MO. and they were great!!! They fit the right size and did an even exchanged.

Hope this helps.
Camilla

P.S. I've also worn the 841. Recently, I think they changed the LS and it doesn't fit with my orthotic as well.