Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome

Posted by Dave McDonald on 3/12/01 at 17:34 (041188)

I would like to hear about folks who have had good experiences with orthodics in relieving Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome.
I have had this condition for many years and it is steadily becoming more of a problem.
Surgeons are VERY quick to recommend the knife but I find that to be a natural thing for surgeons to
want to cut cut cut. Any good direction would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome

wendyn on 3/12/01 at 22:21 (041246)

Greetings and welcome Dave! We have a few new posters here who have just had TTS surgery, and we are anxiously awaiting positive reports from them. So far - pretty good.

As a longer term thing though, you won't find any fully recovered folks here - most likely because they wouldn't bother surfing the net for something that's no longer an issue for them.

You are correct in saying some doctors want to slice right away, and the surgical results that I've seen from TTS release have me very hesitant to go that route.

As a well experienced TTS patient - can you share some of your knowledge and advice? I'm always interested in how other people cope and what techniques they've found for getting by.

wendyn on 3/12/01 at 22:23 (041247)

Sorry David, just reread your post and saw your question about orthotics.

I am having some relief now from a new pair of very well made orthotics - but there are a number of us here who feel our symptoms either began - or were aggravated by badly made orthotics.

So, although I support the theory of orthotics, I also believe that if made improperly they will do far more harm than good.

What has your experience been?

JudyS on 3/13/01 at 10:46 (041293)

Dave, my husband had TTS within a few months of having had PF release surgery (that surgery relieved his PF). He had an MRI which exposed the TTS problem quite well - his Pod said surgery was an option but wanted to try orthotics first. He had a plaster mold taken which very hard, rigid 3/4 length orthotics were made from.....and his TTS disappeared within a month or two of using them.

P Helm on 3/13/01 at 14:51 (041329)

HI Dave,

I wore orthotics for a few years and they seem to help my PF , but not my TTS. I just had surfery for TTS two weeks ago. I have had symtoms for about 5 yrs. ( TTS ) Surgery has been a last resort for me. I really can't tell if the surgery has been a success yet. I think it is too soon to tell.

Good Luck :)
Patti

wendyn on 3/12/01 at 22:21 (041246)

Greetings and welcome Dave! We have a few new posters here who have just had TTS surgery, and we are anxiously awaiting positive reports from them. So far - pretty good.

As a longer term thing though, you won't find any fully recovered folks here - most likely because they wouldn't bother surfing the net for something that's no longer an issue for them.

You are correct in saying some doctors want to slice right away, and the surgical results that I've seen from TTS release have me very hesitant to go that route.

As a well experienced TTS patient - can you share some of your knowledge and advice? I'm always interested in how other people cope and what techniques they've found for getting by.

wendyn on 3/12/01 at 22:23 (041247)

Sorry David, just reread your post and saw your question about orthotics.

I am having some relief now from a new pair of very well made orthotics - but there are a number of us here who feel our symptoms either began - or were aggravated by badly made orthotics.

So, although I support the theory of orthotics, I also believe that if made improperly they will do far more harm than good.

What has your experience been?

JudyS on 3/13/01 at 10:46 (041293)

Dave, my husband had TTS within a few months of having had PF release surgery (that surgery relieved his PF). He had an MRI which exposed the TTS problem quite well - his Pod said surgery was an option but wanted to try orthotics first. He had a plaster mold taken which very hard, rigid 3/4 length orthotics were made from.....and his TTS disappeared within a month or two of using them.

P Helm on 3/13/01 at 14:51 (041329)

HI Dave,

I wore orthotics for a few years and they seem to help my PF , but not my TTS. I just had surfery for TTS two weeks ago. I have had symtoms for about 5 yrs. ( TTS ) Surgery has been a last resort for me. I really can't tell if the surgery has been a success yet. I think it is too soon to tell.

Good Luck :)
Patti