Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain at site of bunion

Posted by Julia M. on 3/12/01 at 18:04 (041191)

Hello and thank you in advance. I have a bunion on my left foot that is considerably smaller than the one I had removed from my right foot but it is causing me pain nonetheless. My question is this: what exactly is it that causes the pain? It happens when the ball of my foot hits the ground as I am walking and it is rather sporadic in nature...but it happens alot, every day. I do not look forward to bunion surgery again so what can I do to alleviate the pain I am having now without surgery? Thanks again.

Re: Pain at site of bunion

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/12/01 at 18:27 (041195)

The pain is usually from the bone constantly rubbing against the shoe.

Now if your pain is there even without shoes then the problem could be from the inside of the joint surface. This is sometimes called Hallux limitus.

So the treatment is shoes that don't rub against the big toe joint. You can find alot of nice looking shoes that fit this desccription. If your pain is from inside the joint then a special insert with off weight dispersement could be tried. This is a special padding that lifts the weight away from the bottom of the big toe joint.

Re: Pain at site of bunion

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/12/01 at 18:27 (041195)

The pain is usually from the bone constantly rubbing against the shoe.

Now if your pain is there even without shoes then the problem could be from the inside of the joint surface. This is sometimes called Hallux limitus.

So the treatment is shoes that don't rub against the big toe joint. You can find alot of nice looking shoes that fit this desccription. If your pain is from inside the joint then a special insert with off weight dispersement could be tried. This is a special padding that lifts the weight away from the bottom of the big toe joint.