Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

7 Weeks Post-Op

Posted by Donna Y. on 3/12/01 at 21:26 (041230)

Hard to believe, but it's already been 7 weeks. Or perhaps I should be saying it's hard to believe it's only been 7 weeks. I am still experiencing quite an encouraging recovery. I still have heel pain, but it's constantly better than the pain pre-op. I am completely free of crutches, back at my teaching job fulltime and completely free of painkillers as well. I really couldn't be any more pleased with the surgery or the recovery period.

I went for my 6 week post-op visit last week and was told to begin a walking program. About a mile every other day. I still haven't started this and I really need to find the time to get started. I feel well enough to follow the doctor's orders, I've just been keeping myself busy. I was also instructed to really work on the incision site to break down scar tissue. This has been the hardest part, but only because I often don't think about massaging it with cocoa butter, which is what I'm supposed to be doing pretty religiously to avoid complications that could be caused by a build up of scar tissue at that site.

I will continue to check in and keep you all posted on my recovery. I wish you all the best!

Donna

Re: 7 Weeks Post-Op

diane on 3/12/01 at 22:14 (041245)

what did you have done exactly.i had a spur taken off and he found a inflamed nerve when he got in my foot so he cut it to kill the pain. he said that nerve was the size of a pencil.and hurt real bad.i still have some pain in my arch and ankle areas i don't know why.but its not like it was till morning time when i get up. it feels like i am bone on bone in my ankle.when i try t stand up.

Susan U on 3/13/01 at 09:32 (041283)

Hey, Donna. I am so glad to hear you're doing well. About the scar tissue, you really should keep up on that. I had achilles tendon surgery about 5 years ago, and I have NO scar tissue build-up because I massaged the scar at least 3 times a day. Try to keep it up, you won't be sorry! Keep us posted. I'm scheduled for my surgery April 11 and I can't wait!

Donna Y. on 3/13/01 at 21:44 (041393)

Hi Diane,

I had an open procedure (about 1 1/2 inch incision) partial (50%) release of the Plantar fascia and a heel spur removed by an orthopaedic surgeon.

Becky on 3/15/01 at 19:13 (041582)

Diane, I had surgery in Nov, 2000, I cant even tell where the heel spur was before surgery that side of my foot is great, but I am having the same symptoms with my ankle. It feels like bone hitting bone.

diane on 3/12/01 at 22:14 (041245)

what did you have done exactly.i had a spur taken off and he found a inflamed nerve when he got in my foot so he cut it to kill the pain. he said that nerve was the size of a pencil.and hurt real bad.i still have some pain in my arch and ankle areas i don't know why.but its not like it was till morning time when i get up. it feels like i am bone on bone in my ankle.when i try t stand up.

Susan U on 3/13/01 at 09:32 (041283)

Hey, Donna. I am so glad to hear you're doing well. About the scar tissue, you really should keep up on that. I had achilles tendon surgery about 5 years ago, and I have NO scar tissue build-up because I massaged the scar at least 3 times a day. Try to keep it up, you won't be sorry! Keep us posted. I'm scheduled for my surgery April 11 and I can't wait!

Donna Y. on 3/13/01 at 21:44 (041393)

Hi Diane,

I had an open procedure (about 1 1/2 inch incision) partial (50%) release of the Plantar fascia and a heel spur removed by an orthopaedic surgeon.

Becky on 3/15/01 at 19:13 (041582)

Diane, I had surgery in Nov, 2000, I cant even tell where the heel spur was before surgery that side of my foot is great, but I am having the same symptoms with my ankle. It feels like bone hitting bone.