Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

FEET! ALL DAY FEET!

Posted by Barbara TX on 3/12/01 at 22:08 (041243)

Hey gang - went to a real 'pedorthodude' this morning who told me that I have high, rigid arches - the hardest arch to fit, and he fitted me with OTC Lyncos soft orthotics. Nice guy by the name of Dean Morgan in Dallas. We'll see if that improves anything, and if it does, we will cast for customs (soft). Boy, I showed him the hard ones and he about fainted. They are actually coming apart, and I couldn't even wear them. The Lyncos were $65 bucks. He is scared to death of DPM/Ortho political feuds. My DPM will not prescribe soft... I swear, the transaction was something Soviet, or like I was buying crack cocaine or something. He also warned me to stay away from neuroma surgery.

SO, this afternoon I went to the DPM for a consult for neuroma surgery (you can imagine my state of mind) and the DPM said, no way honey! You are going to go the distance with these shots, and we can go up to 8. Still, I trust him, since he tried to discourage surgery, and left with yet another WHOPPER of an sclerosing shot. I swear, he must use a turkey baster down there. So, I am at it again, trying he shots. After #8 he can cut me.

He said to get myself back to Dr. Z for more zapping, and I shall when I have dropped this pf weight. He categorically and absolutely denied me a handicapped permit, which is ROTTEN, since I finally got up the courage, after a whole year of disability, to ask him. He says he would go to jail. Please. So I am stuck with these crutches, walking a block to the pool.

So, the whole day was chock full of feet. B.

Re: FEET! ALL DAY FEET!

Julie on 3/13/01 at 01:41 (041268)

Barb, I really hope the Lyncos have a good effect for you.

I can't understand why the DPM refused you a handicap permit. Have you any other recourse? Your GP maybe? That IS rotten.

All the best, Julie

Re: Go to jail????

Steve P on 3/13/01 at 10:17 (041289)

Barb --- He could also go to jail when you sue him for negligence, showing that he made you walk excessively because of no pass. OK, so I'm exaggurating.....Sorry, I get a little worked up over these things.

Suggestion: Why not send the application form to Dr. Z. I'm sure he'll sign it. Whether TX will accept an NJ signature I don't know, but why not find out?

Steve

JudyS on 3/13/01 at 10:39 (041292)

Oh geez TexBarb - this PROFESSIONAL foot doctor said no to your request for a handicap permit? I just don't get that. It truly makes no sense when you have a well-documented foot disability. Why would he go to jail? It's not like he's out there 'selling' phony permits for profit. Do you have any recourse?
Thanks for your input re: those high arches. Mine are the same but my HMO doc won't give me a prescription to see a real pedorthodude. I may decide to just go to a private Pod...

Re: Barbara, I have the low down on TX permits

Beverly on 3/13/01 at 15:27 (041333)

Barbara,

I know how frustrating it is to get turned down for the handicapped permit.
Your pod's line about 'going to jail' is a bunch of blarney. (I'd say worse but this is a clean family site!) I went through something similar with my fancy sports medicine doctor in Corpus. He told me he'd be happy to write me a script for the permit but that 'the rules had changed for Texas and PF was no longer on the list.'

I have no idea why he said that. I suspect PF prejudice was at the bottom of it. When I gave my sad plight to my internist back in Corpus, he wrote me out a script for a temp. (six month) permit. No where on his script or on the form did he have to indicate why I needed it. All it took was him saying I needed one.

The entire time I stood in line waiting for my turn to get my permit, I just knew something would go wrong and the foot guy had been right all along. But sure enough, my internist was right. No one asked me any questions, and I left with my $5.00 permit good for six months. (What I will do when it runs out is anybody's guess.)

My memory is that somewhere on the list of 'qualified reasons' for a temp. permit was something about 'a medical problem that makes it difficult or impossible to walk more than 200 ft. without rest.' Those aren't the exact words but it's close.

So, try someone else. By the way, is this the same pod you know in Plano who is doing EWST?
Take care,
Beverly

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/13/01 at 19:22 (041369)

I have e-mail Barbara TX about this . Part of her is a New Jersey patient and the other part is the Texan patient. Well the New Jersey part is getting to get a parking permit because if she can't walk without pain then she can't walk without pain. Now if she is riding a horse, do they still use horses instead of cars in Texas , the law states you shoot the horse and give the human being the permit.

So Dr. Lewi can get treat the horse and Dr. Z will take care of the human being. From what I hear he like to treat animals.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/13/01 at 22:16 (041405)

I had a very nice conversation with our mutual patient that you e-mailed Dr. Z about this weekend. I talk to her for about forty-five minutes. A VERY pleasant person. I was surprise to find such a nice, intelligent human being. Very tough case. Not sure what is going on with her. We are going to continue to talk. I did take some notes with some ideas so I will keep following this person.

wanda m on 3/14/01 at 10:04 (041438)

i see a dr in tampa and i live in ga so if you could get a tx. handicapp form and send it to dr z then he could fill out and then u take it to the dept of public safety in tx and get permit. Its done all over the usa. i fill for u, i have one and without it i may as well stay at home. I really dont know what his problem is see if u can find a family dr or one that u know that would write the permit. good luck

I got a ga form and dr shandles filled it out for me and it worked great as long as a dr signs it and notorizes it then its a done deal

john h on 3/14/01 at 10:41 (041442)

barb: if you are on crutches your doctor is an idiot for not giving you disability permit for your vehicle! do you use crutches frequently? after my foot surgery i used them for about 2 weeks. my crutches are lightweight aluminum and have 'shock absorbers' in the feet which are heavy duty springs. they absorb most of the shock going to your arms and hands and are well worth the price if you are going to be on crutches for any time. i found them on the web and when my surgeon saw them he said he would recommend them to all his patients. i may take a picture of them and send it to scott.

DANE tx.. you all may want to read this on 3/14/01 at 13:58 (041463)

i have a temporary handicap mirror tag for my truck. it is for 6 months at a time. so tell your doctor he is full of STUFF. ask your personal phy. for one if the foot doc. won't give in. all he has to do is fill out 1 sheet of info. infact one of his nurses did mine. that shows you how hard it is. good luck diane tx

Re: Re:please don't shoot the horse,we are the lame ones.

diane on 3/14/01 at 14:01 (041466)

lol.my husband done told me if i was one of the horses he would have put my down along time ago.

diane on 3/14/01 at 14:03 (041468)

where do you get the form if the doctor is refusing.dr z don't you have these forms.

Barbara TX on 3/14/01 at 14:15 (041471)

Thank you Wanda - I'll do just that. And Diane, I think the forms are at the Department of Transportation. I need to go there anyway, because someone made off with my backpack during swimming, taking everything - even my clothes!!!! Do I have a curse on my head, or what? B.

Re: John - about the springs....

Barbara TX on 3/14/01 at 14:19 (041473)

Yes, I completely depend on the crutches - they are the only way that I can control the pain. If you have a link for those springs, I really would appreciate it! I feel like pf puts all of my other body parts at risk too - wrists, shoulders, knees... it is a very frustrating situation. B.

Re: VooDoo

Cynthia D on 3/14/01 at 16:26 (041485)

What is going on with you, Barbara? Your backpack was stolen??? So there you are, wet, handicapped, wearing nothing but a bathing suit and crutches, hopefully and shoes, and your bag was stolen? I hope your car keys weren't in it!

I think we all need to do some kind of anti-voodoo reverse curse or something to help you out. Next time I meditate, I'm sending positive stuff your way. You poor thing.

Barbara TX on 3/14/01 at 19:28 (041506)

Voo doo is right! They ripped off my drivers license, the credit card, the bank card, my car keys, my swim pass, my beloved back pack (great with crutches), a bib, 2 diapers, baby wipes and a pink pacifier! It was a cold ride home, hombres. We had the locks on our place changed today, we're getting 'clubs' for our cars, and had the credit cards cancelled - all that unpleasant stuff. I am just glad that I didn't have to go home naked with the crutches across the campus of the college. At least I had my towel. Good God, what a day. It is as if all creation is conspiring to keep me gimpy and locked away in my house like Howard Hughes! And naked!

Oh, yes... when this happened last night, I came into the bathroom to warm up in the bath after coming home nearly in the buff, and I realized that the ceiling was starting to leak - it appears that we have a burst pipe in the wall somewhere. I just let it drip on my head. I think I was in shock.

Who put this hex on me? I sure hope the crook is enjoying his new women's clothing, my cancelled credit cards, and his new pink pacifier. B.

Beverly on 3/14/01 at 20:47 (041510)

Barbara,

This is terrible. As if you don't already have enough problems! What kind of low person steals a backpack from a handicapped person on crutches! And it's still rather chilly here. You must have been chilled to the bone going across campus in nothing but a bathing suit and towel! I hope he didn't get your shoes too. And to think, I used to believe that the worst thing I'd get around a pool was a case of Athlete's Foot!

Be extra good to yourself this week.
Those crutches must burn off plenty of calories. I know it's tough going on them. I tried them last summer when I was at my worst and my upperbody just could not take them. I parked myself on my recliner and tried not to move around much. But with kids that would be hard to do.
Take care,
Beverly

Barbara TX on 3/14/01 at 22:29 (041515)

Beverly - I really HOPE I am expending more energy on these crutches. I really find that my heel calms down when I use them. I am very careful though, to try to always move my heel in a natural stride and put my weight on my heel occasionally. I don't want my flexibility in my achilles or my fascia to be compromised... I just want the load lightened until I'm thinner. I am going to let pain be my guide as to how much weight to put on my heel. I do very well on the crutches, but I think all the swimming and crawling that I do really helps with the upper body strength, so the crutches don't hurt. I just have a little abrasion under my arms when I have to move fast (like when fights break out over toys or someone gets their arms wedged under the couch - yes! This really did happen today!).

Thanks for the sympathy. Tomorrow HAS to be a better day. A worse day would be a statistical impossibility! B.

wendyn on 3/14/01 at 23:21 (041517)

What kind of person steals from someone on crutches? The same type of person who steals from a church right after a funeral. Honestly. My brothered played his guitar at my friends funeral, the guitar was stolen from behind the pulpit during the little coffee thing after the funeral. I hope that person gets what's coming to him/her.

Re: VooDoo To Barbara TEX

Laurie R on 3/15/01 at 01:33 (041523)

Barbara,
I could not believe this when I read it. Remenber one thing ,what goes around comes around. I am very sorry to hear that someone would steal from you especially when you were on crutches.......Bad Bad Bad thing to do...... I hope tomorrow you have a awesome day...Laurie R

Re: Voodoo help anyone ???

Brian G on 3/16/01 at 21:04 (041673)

You know it's funny you mentioned Voodoo. One day about 7 1/2 years ago I got out of bed and almost fell down from the heel pain. It just came on during the night, no prior warning. I would imagine it's happened to others as well. Well, I just happend to be having an intense personal conflict with one of my co-workers. I actually started wondering if he had cursed me. It's not somthing you would ask them about and he finally left my work site.

It's still in the back of my mind. I've been to a well known faith healer, twice, and I was not chosen to be healed. So, anyone out there care to try and take the 'possible' curse off me. I'd be ever so grateful :*)
Miracles are definatly on my 'to do list!'

BG

Julie on 3/13/01 at 01:41 (041268)

Barb, I really hope the Lyncos have a good effect for you.

I can't understand why the DPM refused you a handicap permit. Have you any other recourse? Your GP maybe? That IS rotten.

All the best, Julie

Steve P on 3/13/01 at 10:17 (041289)

Barb --- He could also go to jail when you sue him for negligence, showing that he made you walk excessively because of no pass. OK, so I'm exaggurating.....Sorry, I get a little worked up over these things.

Suggestion: Why not send the application form to Dr. Z. I'm sure he'll sign it. Whether TX will accept an NJ signature I don't know, but why not find out?

Steve

JudyS on 3/13/01 at 10:39 (041292)

Oh geez TexBarb - this PROFESSIONAL foot doctor said no to your request for a handicap permit? I just don't get that. It truly makes no sense when you have a well-documented foot disability. Why would he go to jail? It's not like he's out there 'selling' phony permits for profit. Do you have any recourse?
Thanks for your input re: those high arches. Mine are the same but my HMO doc won't give me a prescription to see a real pedorthodude. I may decide to just go to a private Pod...

Beverly on 3/13/01 at 15:27 (041333)

Barbara,

I know how frustrating it is to get turned down for the handicapped permit.
Your pod's line about 'going to jail' is a bunch of blarney. (I'd say worse but this is a clean family site!) I went through something similar with my fancy sports medicine doctor in Corpus. He told me he'd be happy to write me a script for the permit but that 'the rules had changed for Texas and PF was no longer on the list.'

I have no idea why he said that. I suspect PF prejudice was at the bottom of it. When I gave my sad plight to my internist back in Corpus, he wrote me out a script for a temp. (six month) permit. No where on his script or on the form did he have to indicate why I needed it. All it took was him saying I needed one.

The entire time I stood in line waiting for my turn to get my permit, I just knew something would go wrong and the foot guy had been right all along. But sure enough, my internist was right. No one asked me any questions, and I left with my $5.00 permit good for six months. (What I will do when it runs out is anybody's guess.)

My memory is that somewhere on the list of 'qualified reasons' for a temp. permit was something about 'a medical problem that makes it difficult or impossible to walk more than 200 ft. without rest.' Those aren't the exact words but it's close.

So, try someone else. By the way, is this the same pod you know in Plano who is doing EWST?
Take care,
Beverly

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/13/01 at 19:22 (041369)

I have e-mail Barbara TX about this . Part of her is a New Jersey patient and the other part is the Texan patient. Well the New Jersey part is getting to get a parking permit because if she can't walk without pain then she can't walk without pain. Now if she is riding a horse, do they still use horses instead of cars in Texas , the law states you shoot the horse and give the human being the permit.

So Dr. Lewi can get treat the horse and Dr. Z will take care of the human being. From what I hear he like to treat animals.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/13/01 at 22:16 (041405)

I had a very nice conversation with our mutual patient that you e-mailed Dr. Z about this weekend. I talk to her for about forty-five minutes. A VERY pleasant person. I was surprise to find such a nice, intelligent human being. Very tough case. Not sure what is going on with her. We are going to continue to talk. I did take some notes with some ideas so I will keep following this person.

wanda m on 3/14/01 at 10:04 (041438)

i see a dr in tampa and i live in ga so if you could get a tx. handicapp form and send it to dr z then he could fill out and then u take it to the dept of public safety in tx and get permit. Its done all over the usa. i fill for u, i have one and without it i may as well stay at home. I really dont know what his problem is see if u can find a family dr or one that u know that would write the permit. good luck

I got a ga form and dr shandles filled it out for me and it worked great as long as a dr signs it and notorizes it then its a done deal

john h on 3/14/01 at 10:41 (041442)

barb: if you are on crutches your doctor is an idiot for not giving you disability permit for your vehicle! do you use crutches frequently? after my foot surgery i used them for about 2 weeks. my crutches are lightweight aluminum and have 'shock absorbers' in the feet which are heavy duty springs. they absorb most of the shock going to your arms and hands and are well worth the price if you are going to be on crutches for any time. i found them on the web and when my surgeon saw them he said he would recommend them to all his patients. i may take a picture of them and send it to scott.

DANE tx.. you all may want to read this on 3/14/01 at 13:58 (041463)

i have a temporary handicap mirror tag for my truck. it is for 6 months at a time. so tell your doctor he is full of STUFF. ask your personal phy. for one if the foot doc. won't give in. all he has to do is fill out 1 sheet of info. infact one of his nurses did mine. that shows you how hard it is. good luck diane tx

Re: Re:please don't shoot the horse,we are the lame ones.

diane on 3/14/01 at 14:01 (041466)

lol.my husband done told me if i was one of the horses he would have put my down along time ago.

diane on 3/14/01 at 14:03 (041468)

where do you get the form if the doctor is refusing.dr z don't you have these forms.

Barbara TX on 3/14/01 at 14:15 (041471)

Thank you Wanda - I'll do just that. And Diane, I think the forms are at the Department of Transportation. I need to go there anyway, because someone made off with my backpack during swimming, taking everything - even my clothes!!!! Do I have a curse on my head, or what? B.

Re: John - about the springs....

Barbara TX on 3/14/01 at 14:19 (041473)

Yes, I completely depend on the crutches - they are the only way that I can control the pain. If you have a link for those springs, I really would appreciate it! I feel like pf puts all of my other body parts at risk too - wrists, shoulders, knees... it is a very frustrating situation. B.

Cynthia D on 3/14/01 at 16:26 (041485)

What is going on with you, Barbara? Your backpack was stolen??? So there you are, wet, handicapped, wearing nothing but a bathing suit and crutches, hopefully and shoes, and your bag was stolen? I hope your car keys weren't in it!

I think we all need to do some kind of anti-voodoo reverse curse or something to help you out. Next time I meditate, I'm sending positive stuff your way. You poor thing.

Barbara TX on 3/14/01 at 19:28 (041506)

Voo doo is right! They ripped off my drivers license, the credit card, the bank card, my car keys, my swim pass, my beloved back pack (great with crutches), a bib, 2 diapers, baby wipes and a pink pacifier! It was a cold ride home, hombres. We had the locks on our place changed today, we're getting 'clubs' for our cars, and had the credit cards cancelled - all that unpleasant stuff. I am just glad that I didn't have to go home naked with the crutches across the campus of the college. At least I had my towel. Good God, what a day. It is as if all creation is conspiring to keep me gimpy and locked away in my house like Howard Hughes! And naked!

Oh, yes... when this happened last night, I came into the bathroom to warm up in the bath after coming home nearly in the buff, and I realized that the ceiling was starting to leak - it appears that we have a burst pipe in the wall somewhere. I just let it drip on my head. I think I was in shock.

Who put this hex on me? I sure hope the crook is enjoying his new women's clothing, my cancelled credit cards, and his new pink pacifier. B.

Beverly on 3/14/01 at 20:47 (041510)

Barbara,

This is terrible. As if you don't already have enough problems! What kind of low person steals a backpack from a handicapped person on crutches! And it's still rather chilly here. You must have been chilled to the bone going across campus in nothing but a bathing suit and towel! I hope he didn't get your shoes too. And to think, I used to believe that the worst thing I'd get around a pool was a case of Athlete's Foot!

Be extra good to yourself this week.
Those crutches must burn off plenty of calories. I know it's tough going on them. I tried them last summer when I was at my worst and my upperbody just could not take them. I parked myself on my recliner and tried not to move around much. But with kids that would be hard to do.
Take care,
Beverly

Barbara TX on 3/14/01 at 22:29 (041515)

Beverly - I really HOPE I am expending more energy on these crutches. I really find that my heel calms down when I use them. I am very careful though, to try to always move my heel in a natural stride and put my weight on my heel occasionally. I don't want my flexibility in my achilles or my fascia to be compromised... I just want the load lightened until I'm thinner. I am going to let pain be my guide as to how much weight to put on my heel. I do very well on the crutches, but I think all the swimming and crawling that I do really helps with the upper body strength, so the crutches don't hurt. I just have a little abrasion under my arms when I have to move fast (like when fights break out over toys or someone gets their arms wedged under the couch - yes! This really did happen today!).

Thanks for the sympathy. Tomorrow HAS to be a better day. A worse day would be a statistical impossibility! B.

wendyn on 3/14/01 at 23:21 (041517)

What kind of person steals from someone on crutches? The same type of person who steals from a church right after a funeral. Honestly. My brothered played his guitar at my friends funeral, the guitar was stolen from behind the pulpit during the little coffee thing after the funeral. I hope that person gets what's coming to him/her.

Re: VooDoo To Barbara TEX

Laurie R on 3/15/01 at 01:33 (041523)

Barbara,
I could not believe this when I read it. Remenber one thing ,what goes around comes around. I am very sorry to hear that someone would steal from you especially when you were on crutches.......Bad Bad Bad thing to do...... I hope tomorrow you have a awesome day...Laurie R

Re: Voodoo help anyone ???

Brian G on 3/16/01 at 21:04 (041673)

You know it's funny you mentioned Voodoo. One day about 7 1/2 years ago I got out of bed and almost fell down from the heel pain. It just came on during the night, no prior warning. I would imagine it's happened to others as well. Well, I just happend to be having an intense personal conflict with one of my co-workers. I actually started wondering if he had cursed me. It's not somthing you would ask them about and he finally left my work site.

It's still in the back of my mind. I've been to a well known faith healer, twice, and I was not chosen to be healed. So, anyone out there care to try and take the 'possible' curse off me. I'd be ever so grateful :*)
Miracles are definatly on my 'to do list!'

BG