Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

AGE?

Posted by DENNIS B. on 3/13/01 at 12:52 (041310)

I HAD TTS RELEASE ON FEB 07 AND THUS FAR THE RESULTS ARE POOR. I AM STILL VERY LIMITED AS TO THE AMOUNT OF WALKING I CAN DO WITHOUT PAIN SETTING IN, IF IN FACT IT ISN'T ALREADY THERE. I AM 50 YEARS OLD. AM I EXPECTING TOO MUCH TOO SOON FOR MY AGE? WHAT ARE THE AGES OF YOU OTHER FOLKS OUT THERE? I GO BACK TO MY ORTHO SURGEON ON THE 20TH FOR ANOTHER FOLLOW-UP WHERE HE WANTS TO QUIZ ME AS TO THE POSSIBILITY OF DOING THE PROCEDURE ON THE OTHER FOOT WHICH ALSO HAS TTS. I AM INCLINED TO SAY NO. THE PAIN IS GOING UP ABOVE MY KNEES NOW AND BEFORE THE SURGERY THE FARTHEST IT WENT UP THE LEGS WAS TO THE KNEE. ORTHOTICS DON'T HELP AND I USE A CANE IF I HAVE TO GO TO THE STORE TO SHOP FOR SOMETHING. FRANKLY I AM EXTREMELY DEPRESSED AND DISGUSTED ABOUT THE WHOLE SCENARIO AND AS OTHERS HAVE SAID IT'S VERY HARD TO CONVEY THE PROBLEMS TO THOSE WHO DON'T HAVE THIS CONDITION.

Re: AGE?

wendyn on 3/13/01 at 13:40 (041318)

Dennis - I'm sorry to hear things aren't going so well. I would give it more time - but definately DO NOT do the other foot until you see sustained improvement from the first foot. Have you been assessed by a neurologist? (I can't keep everyone's history straight)

I'm 32, TTS started just after my 30th birthday.

DENNIS B. on 3/13/01 at 13:44 (041319)

YES HAD AN EMG DONE OF BOTH FEET WHICH IS HOW THEY 'PINNED DOWN' (SORRY FOR THE PUN)THE TTS. EMG SHOWED THE PRESENCE OF TTS. I STILL HAVE A GUT FEELING THAT THERE IS SOMETHING ELSE ALSO GOING ON WITH THE FEET.

wendyn on 3/13/01 at 13:51 (041322)

Dennis, do you have structural problems with your feet that could be the root source of what's happening - or do you have any other health problems?

Scott2 on 3/13/01 at 14:32 (041327)

Dennis,

Sorry you are having continued frustration and pain post-surgry. Advice that I can offer, though it may not be what you want to hear, is that it is definitely different for everyone. The severity of the problem, health (past and current), type of surgery done, who does the surgery, and healing rate are just some of the factors to consider.

I had a partial plantar fascia release along with a distal tarsal tunnel release. I did not have a formal neurological test, but I definitely had tingling in the feet/toes when that magic spot on the inside of the foot was tapped. I have been dealing with this for over a year as I want through all of the other non-invasive treatments (shots, taping, orthotics, rest, exercises, stretching, casting, night splint, lots of ibuprofen, etc.). Nothing worked.

I am 33 and had surgery on Feb 16. I was on crutches for two full weeks, then crutches and a cam-walker for a week and am now just in the cam-walker. I had lots of pain and the stitches were in for over two weeks. After I got the stitches out, the healing and weight bearing just seemed to accelerate. I still cannot plant my heal on the ground bearing full weight without the cam-walker.

It is a very frustrating injury. Hang in there and don't give up. Remember it's not just the foot - it's your entire health that counts in getting better and feeling better. Let it out here and hopefully others can provide some guidance and support - because you are right - if you have not had it - it is hard to explain and empathize.

I go to the doctor tomorrow and will post a message to update everyone.

PHelm on 3/13/01 at 14:54 (041330)

I am 34 and I started TTS symptoms when I was about 29.

DENNIS B. on 3/13/01 at 16:35 (041341)

IT ALL SEEMS TO POINT TO SEVERE FLAT FEET. NOTHING ELSE UNUSUAL.

Chad H on 3/13/01 at 17:01 (041343)

I am 28, and have had TTS symptoms in my right ankle since I was 24. It doesn't seem like long, but that is enough time to have three surgeries. I hate to be negative, but I wish I had never even had surgery. I know that isn't what you are looking for.

Two weeks is not enough time to gauge your success. I have heard that the nerve can take up to one year to heal. Give it time. I would wait on the other foot.

How is the swelling in your ankle?

I feel terrible for you. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Good luck, and remember that we are all here for you!

wendyn on 3/13/01 at 18:12 (041351)

Dennis, I also have flat feet. The surgeon I saw believes that my pain is being caused by the nerve stretching as my arch collapses. For this reason - he believed that a standard TTS release would only make my pain worse. I wonder if this is what has happened in your case. Any talk of a reconstruction for your arches?

The problem is that if your pain is caused by a structural problem - nothing will change unless the structure itself is fixed.

Karin L. on 3/13/01 at 18:44 (041359)

Dennis,
I am 49, don't have flat feet, in fact have high arches. My TTS came on during PT for PF Feb. 2000. Had surgery for PF release & TTS in April of 2000. TTS I think is rearing it's ugly head once again. I go to my pod tomorrow & will find out if it has indeed returned. Good luck.

DENNIS B. on 3/14/01 at 13:59 (041465)

NO HAVEN'T TALKED TO DR ABOUT ARCH RECONSTRUCTION. BUT WILL DO SO WHEN I GO IN ON THE 20TH.

DENNIS B. on 3/14/01 at 14:02 (041467)

SWELLING IS BETTER NOW. WHAT SEEMED WIERD WAS THAT THE SWELLING WAS NOT IN THE SURGERY AREA BUT RATHER IN THE OTHER PARTS OF THE FOOT. IT DOES SEEM TO SWELL UP WHEN I DO WALK TOO MUCH, WHICH ISN'T MUCH AT ALL. I'M INCLINED TO AGREE WITH YOU THAT MAYBE SURGERY WASN'T SUCH A HOT IDEA, BUT AT THE TIME I FIGURED I HAD EVERYTHING TO GAIN AND NOTHING TO LOSE. BUT I'M NOT SO SURE THAT IT'S NOT WORSE NOW THAN BEFORE.

wendyn on 3/13/01 at 13:40 (041318)

Dennis - I'm sorry to hear things aren't going so well. I would give it more time - but definately DO NOT do the other foot until you see sustained improvement from the first foot. Have you been assessed by a neurologist? (I can't keep everyone's history straight)

I'm 32, TTS started just after my 30th birthday.

DENNIS B. on 3/13/01 at 13:44 (041319)

YES HAD AN EMG DONE OF BOTH FEET WHICH IS HOW THEY 'PINNED DOWN' (SORRY FOR THE PUN)THE TTS. EMG SHOWED THE PRESENCE OF TTS. I STILL HAVE A GUT FEELING THAT THERE IS SOMETHING ELSE ALSO GOING ON WITH THE FEET.

wendyn on 3/13/01 at 13:51 (041322)

Dennis, do you have structural problems with your feet that could be the root source of what's happening - or do you have any other health problems?

Scott2 on 3/13/01 at 14:32 (041327)

Dennis,

Sorry you are having continued frustration and pain post-surgry. Advice that I can offer, though it may not be what you want to hear, is that it is definitely different for everyone. The severity of the problem, health (past and current), type of surgery done, who does the surgery, and healing rate are just some of the factors to consider.

I had a partial plantar fascia release along with a distal tarsal tunnel release. I did not have a formal neurological test, but I definitely had tingling in the feet/toes when that magic spot on the inside of the foot was tapped. I have been dealing with this for over a year as I want through all of the other non-invasive treatments (shots, taping, orthotics, rest, exercises, stretching, casting, night splint, lots of ibuprofen, etc.). Nothing worked.

I am 33 and had surgery on Feb 16. I was on crutches for two full weeks, then crutches and a cam-walker for a week and am now just in the cam-walker. I had lots of pain and the stitches were in for over two weeks. After I got the stitches out, the healing and weight bearing just seemed to accelerate. I still cannot plant my heal on the ground bearing full weight without the cam-walker.

It is a very frustrating injury. Hang in there and don't give up. Remember it's not just the foot - it's your entire health that counts in getting better and feeling better. Let it out here and hopefully others can provide some guidance and support - because you are right - if you have not had it - it is hard to explain and empathize.

I go to the doctor tomorrow and will post a message to update everyone.

PHelm on 3/13/01 at 14:54 (041330)

I am 34 and I started TTS symptoms when I was about 29.

DENNIS B. on 3/13/01 at 16:35 (041341)

IT ALL SEEMS TO POINT TO SEVERE FLAT FEET. NOTHING ELSE UNUSUAL.

Chad H on 3/13/01 at 17:01 (041343)

I am 28, and have had TTS symptoms in my right ankle since I was 24. It doesn't seem like long, but that is enough time to have three surgeries. I hate to be negative, but I wish I had never even had surgery. I know that isn't what you are looking for.

Two weeks is not enough time to gauge your success. I have heard that the nerve can take up to one year to heal. Give it time. I would wait on the other foot.

How is the swelling in your ankle?

I feel terrible for you. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Good luck, and remember that we are all here for you!

wendyn on 3/13/01 at 18:12 (041351)

Dennis, I also have flat feet. The surgeon I saw believes that my pain is being caused by the nerve stretching as my arch collapses. For this reason - he believed that a standard TTS release would only make my pain worse. I wonder if this is what has happened in your case. Any talk of a reconstruction for your arches?

The problem is that if your pain is caused by a structural problem - nothing will change unless the structure itself is fixed.

Karin L. on 3/13/01 at 18:44 (041359)

Dennis,
I am 49, don't have flat feet, in fact have high arches. My TTS came on during PT for PF Feb. 2000. Had surgery for PF release & TTS in April of 2000. TTS I think is rearing it's ugly head once again. I go to my pod tomorrow & will find out if it has indeed returned. Good luck.

DENNIS B. on 3/14/01 at 13:59 (041465)

NO HAVEN'T TALKED TO DR ABOUT ARCH RECONSTRUCTION. BUT WILL DO SO WHEN I GO IN ON THE 20TH.

DENNIS B. on 3/14/01 at 14:02 (041467)

SWELLING IS BETTER NOW. WHAT SEEMED WIERD WAS THAT THE SWELLING WAS NOT IN THE SURGERY AREA BUT RATHER IN THE OTHER PARTS OF THE FOOT. IT DOES SEEM TO SWELL UP WHEN I DO WALK TOO MUCH, WHICH ISN'T MUCH AT ALL. I'M INCLINED TO AGREE WITH YOU THAT MAYBE SURGERY WASN'T SUCH A HOT IDEA, BUT AT THE TIME I FIGURED I HAD EVERYTHING TO GAIN AND NOTHING TO LOSE. BUT I'M NOT SO SURE THAT IT'S NOT WORSE NOW THAN BEFORE.