Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Overweight and Burning feet

Posted by Nancy F. on 3/13/01 at 22:44 (041410)

Does anyone know of any one who lost alot of weight and it helped their foot pain. Mine burn all the time. I find it hard to believe it is only flat feet and pf. You guys dont really complain that your feet burn?

Re: Overweight and Burning feet

Laurie R on 3/13/01 at 22:47 (041412)

Hi Nancy ,
My foot is burning right now as I am typing this. My foot does not burn all the time. It goes on and off. I don't have flat feet I have very high arches . I hope you feel better . Laurie R

Valerie S on 3/14/01 at 07:49 (041424)

Hi Nancy.

My feet burn, too. It feels like I have a red hot coal of coral reef in my heel - Yesterday I started to wonder if maybe it would feel better to walk on some hot coals for awhile. Maybe this would kill the nerves & stop the pain - ha ha ha. (kidding of course, but I actually entertained the thought for a few minutes... pain makes the mind work in mysterious ways...)

I read a post the other day about someone who was experiencing relief through weight loss. Also someone saying that drinking a lot of water helps to reduce inflamation -- worth I try, I think. Maybe if we all started drinking 10 glasses of water a day, we could add the results to the survey.

I also have a 2-liter bottle full of ice that I keep in my freezer. I take this out and roll my feet over it; seems to help a little.

My feet hurt so bad (and I work on my feet all day), I couldn't imagine getting ANY exercise at all... until I started physical therapy on Monday. When he told me to get on that bike for 10 minutes, I thought he was crazy. But surprisingly, it didn't hurt my feet at all -- I am getting some new confidence and hope: now I just have to make the decision and start changing my diet.

Best of luck to you... you are not alone.

Barb-NY on 3/14/01 at 08:55 (041428)

When I first got PF (a year ago) one day my feet were on fire. I did everything that night to try to cool them. I was laying on the couch and then stood up. The middle of by back 'cracked' twice and the burning stopped instantaneously. So....maybe the burning in your case is coming from another part of your body and manifesting itself in your feet. It's worth looking into.

Cynthia D on 3/14/01 at 09:09 (041429)

Hi I have a friend who swears her weight is a factor in her pf, though I suspect her case is much milder than ours, she's pretty active. She battles the same old 10 pounds (she's tiny), and swears when the 10 comes on, her pf comes back.

I, however, lost a huge amount of weight because I was pregnant. Overall, during pf I gained 55 pounds and have lost most of it, not getting any relief, as a matter of fact my pf got worse after the weight loss, but it could be because I was exercising like a maniac, including tennis 5 times a week. So I'll never really know if I had rested as well, maybe the weight loss would have helped. BTW, when I was pregnant, I spent months in bed. My pf improved dramatically, but came right back as soon as I was up and about again. Evil stuff.

I did get burning at odd places and odd times (sitting, standing - no relation). The burning was under my big toes and was fairly intense. I no longer have a burning-type feeling since I had ESWT 5 weeks ago.

One thing to consider if you think you are up to it. My yoga instructor has me do this exercize at least twice a week and it seems to help. I lay on a mat with a 'bolster' type pillow under my sacrum and rear. I put my legs straight up into the air. I practice breathing and/or listening to music so I'm not tempted to quit too soon. I stay like that until I literally feel the blood and fluids drain out of my legs, and eventually, my feet. (4-5 minutes?) This is supposed to help drain the toxins out of your feet that accumulate there, as well. Then go back slowly into lying down and stretching. Slowly get up again, and you will have a fresh supply of blood in your feet! Sounds weird if you never tried it, but when I make myself do it, I do feel better. If you have any discomfort, stop immediately as I wouldn't want to reccomend anything that would hurt you, I'm no professional, just a fellow sufferer. Hope this helps and that you feel better soon.

john h on 3/14/01 at 10:35 (041441)

i know a guy who owned a resturant and was on his feet all day. he weighed around 280 lb and had very bad feet. he lost around 110 lb and his foot problems went away.

Re: Overweight and subway

diane tx on 3/14/01 at 13:35 (041458)

i ahve beenn on the subway diet before heelspurs and pf.i lost 43lbs.and walked 3 miles 3 times a week, but i had foot surgery dec 6 2000 and went thru the holidays on my butt,so guess what i gained some of it back.so this last week i started back on the subway diet and have lost 4lbs as of this morning when i went to therapy and weighed.i got a stationary bike and started excercising again.boy my energy level as increased, and depression is gone.so this works for me. and don't think i go to subway everyday twice a day cause i don't. you can buy everything they have at the store.all i got was turkey and veggies.i have a turkey sandwich sm. bag of cheetos(not supposed to)you are supposed to eat baked lays.and a diet drink.but at the end of the day i have a all veggie sandwich with water.i use wheat bread and low cal. ranch dressing. of course you could just have a salad.but don't go overboard on the salad.you still can eat salads,not excersise and gain weight. so i hope this works. and i do have burning in my feet along with shooting pains, feels like needles.good luck to diane

Re: Overweight cynthia i have a ???

diane tx on 3/14/01 at 13:49 (041459)

can you buy a book that teaches yoga?i think i would do it faithfully everyday.now i want to know something.when i am in a relaxed position.my toes are pointing downward, just relaxed. for a few minutes. then when i bend my foot up to the stand position while still sitting it feels like something is tearing and extremely painful.do you have this? i have it in both feet.and geting up is a job. i have to place the back of my legs against the lower part of the chair to balance. before i can take a step.
i sure hope you are having a awesome day. and by the way how long has it been since you had the baby and what was it. see ya diane

Celia on 3/14/01 at 14:31 (041477)

My feet burn on occasion and when that happens, I ice. Especially at night when I'm ready for bed. That's the last thing I do. In the mornings, I also feel the tear along the side of my feet. I've been checked to see how my nerves are doing because they think that it's the sural nerve that passes by the side of your knee and down to the side of your ankle and feet. I'm now being treated with cortizone, but they apply it on two patches and the patches have these little metal things that alligator clips clip on to and then they run this little electric machine through those clips. It kills! No relief just yet. Anyway, blah, blah, blah. I'm ready to head south of the border for vitamin B-12 shots!!!

Cynthia D on 3/14/01 at 15:44 (041483)

Hi Diane, and old pf pro like you knows that you shouldn't do what hurts you. Yes, it DEFINATELY hurts to point my toes up, especially after sitting or sleeping. I just do VERY small movements, up and down a few times to 'warm the feet up', then I put my legs over the edge of bed/couch and do VERY slow, small circles with my heels. I do not ever push it to the point of pain, that would make my first step WORSE. So be careful, girl friend. My few first steps (of course wearing sneakers with orthos - never barefoot), are baby steps, and I hold onto a table or counter for support, and then like a wind-up doll, I can totter to the bathroom or wherever I need to get. After about 20 steps, I can almost walk with no limp at all, but not too far, mind you. I never heard of holding your legs against the sofa, but we all figure out what we need to do to get around, don't we? And what a weird diet, but I heard it works.

Try Amazon.com for vidoes on yoga, it would help to see the correct positions so you don't hurt your southern self. Hope you're having a great day!

Celia, sounds like you are getting electrical stimulation. If it hurts, tell them to turn the machine down! I don't think it needs to hurt to give you benefits. Did you get cortizone in the form of an injection? Feel better.

Julie on 3/14/01 at 16:27 (041486)

Hi Diane

There are hundreds of books about yoga, some good, some terrible, and lots in between. But you can't learn yoga from a book: you need a class, with a good teacher who can instruct, observe and correct you. Trying to learn from a boo, or a video will only get you into bad habits, possibly harmful ones.

What is a good teacher? One who runs small classes (no more than 12-15 people) so that he/she can keep an eye on everyone in it, and give individual attention to everyone. One who treats his/her students as individuals, with individual body structures and individual strengths and weaknesses, and does not just 'teach exercises' one after the other. One who teaches correct body use, good breathing habits, and relaxation. And one who encourages students to be responsible for themselves and for what they do in the class.

How to find a teacher who is 'right' for you? Look around. It may take several tries to find a teacher and a class you feel comfortable with. Give a teacher a fair try. See how you feel afterwards. You should feel energized, relaxed, and happy, not drained, tired or sore. You should feel that you and the teacher are on the same wavelength, and that the teacher is interested in you and your progress. If after three or four sessions this is not the case, look elsewhere, and keep looking till you find the right teacher.

Good luck, and all the best

Julie

Julie on 3/14/01 at 16:36 (041489)

Hi Cynthia and Diane

Having posted above, I've now seen your post about videos, Cynthia. I'm sorry to disagree, but videos aren't a safe way to learn to practise yoga. Only a real live teacher can assess you, correct what you are doing, and help you to work accurately and to progress. Looking at a picture on television is not the answer. So please be careful, Diane, and if you're at all interested in learning yoga, find a teacher.

wendyn on 3/14/01 at 18:05 (041500)

A Subway diet? Are you serious? Have I missed something here?

Celia to Cynthia on 3/14/01 at 18:35 (041504)

Your description of how you get up in the morning is exactly what I do. HA! If only we were studied and televised, imagine how we'd all look getting up in the morning! Actually, I sometimes start with the ball of my foot and then work my way through the rest. That works SOMETIMES.

I'm not getting the cortizone shot just yet. I am taking Medrol and the cortizone is being applied topically through those pads that are hooked up to the machine. The first treatment was two days ago and the darned thing left me a heat bump! I hope it doesn't hurt that much next time. I think that the nerve is so irritated that any kind of electric stimulation makes it hypersensitive. Tomorrow's my next treatment. Like I've said before, I'm ready to head south of the border for the vitamin B-12 shots. You just have to go to the pharmacy for that!

Barbara TX on 3/14/01 at 19:35 (041507)

Julie - I find the instructions that you sent me very helpful... not just physically, but as a way to calm fears about not being able to move around (I get very claustrophobic about being confined by my feet). I usually do them while watching a PBS cooking show, because - frankly - introspection makes me sad. Maybe Diane might benefit from your instructions too?

I recently visited the picture page (to have my daily look at John and Steve's dogs) and I saw your wonderful photo - you look lovely, and I'm glad that you posted! Now I can picture you better. I am the picture-taker in the family, and so it is very hard to find pictures of me around here! Hope you are feeling well... B.

diane on 3/14/01 at 20:50 (041511)

hey celia. they can burn your shin with that little electricity machine that sends a antiflamatory in thru the shin. tell the pt to turn the machine down. it shouldn't burn you good luck diane

diane on 3/14/01 at 20:52 (041512)

yes its subway sandwiches. the low cal low fat ones . like turkey and all veggie ones . i lost 43 lbs eating these and walking 3 miles 3 times a week. try it it really works.

diane to cynthia on 3/14/01 at 20:55 (041513)

when i sit in my lounge chair i brace myself for balance by backing my calves up to the chair before i try to stand.what are you doing to try to get better?

wendyn on 3/14/01 at 23:19 (041516)

I don't think so. I go for the sensible food guide approach myself. Just wondering.

wendyn on 3/14/01 at 23:26 (041518)

Where is Julie's picture????? I can't find it!!

wendyn on 3/14/01 at 23:36 (041519)

Tried to let it go...sorry...can't.

What kind of diet recommends you eat potatoe chips and diet soft drinks along with sandwiches? Can you tell me what else you are supposed to eat in a day? What are the exercise requirements? Where did you get this diet from? Are you getting enought calcium etc?

Re: My photo

Julie on 3/15/01 at 02:49 (041525)

I'm under 'Fred', Wendy, looking a bit palsied because the postage-stamp pic on the back cover of John's book lost a lot in the scanning. I'd actually sent a better print off to Judy before I realized this one had been posted, so maybe if Scott doesn't mind double labour, it will be replaced.

Thanks for the compliment, Barb. I would love to see a picture of you, too. Can't you get someone in that nice family of yours to click the shutter?

And what about the rest of you? I've been wondering for ages what people look like whose pics aren't on the board. It really is nice to be able to picture people. So do let's have some more.

Julie on 3/15/01 at 02:56 (041526)

Hi Barb

I'm very glad you're finding the exercises I e-mailed you last year useful. If they're helping to calm you, as well as physically, they're doing the job I hoped they'd do. Keep it up.

All the best

Julie

Richard, C.Ped on 3/15/01 at 08:04 (041533)

Hi Wendy,
I know it sounds weird, but it really is a good way to eat. A few years ago, before the 'Subway Jarrod' commercials (do you guys get that in Canada??), my wife and I started eating semi-veggie. Veggie pizzas and veggie subs from Subway. I would have to get the turkey and chicken though. She lost 30 pounds and I lost 20.

Granted, it is hard to eat subs all the time, so we also cooked very healthy. I was concerned about the lack of a vitamin here and there, so I would supplement with a good multivitamin. We would also make our own juices such as carrot, apple, and melons, but that is another story.

Richard

Richard, C.Ped on 3/15/01 at 08:06 (041534)

Oh yeah, drink water, water, water. Just when you think you can't drink anymore, drink another cup of water. :-)
Richard

Re: Overweight and subway READ FUTHER!

diane tx on 3/15/01 at 13:29 (041558)

not only did i lose weight my cholesterol level went from 287 down to 201. and the doctor told me that what ever i was doing to keep it up. and take a good multi-vitiman every day with extra calcium. so that is what i am doing now.and i can tell my energy has increased. not all the fat iintae to make me feel sluggish. well have a good day

diane tx on 3/15/01 at 13:32 (041560)

congrats. on the weight loss. i believe in ths way of eating.did you get a ldl-and hdl check (cholesterol) before you started eating this way.

wendyn on 3/15/01 at 14:06 (041562)

I suppose the principle is fine - you end up eating whole grains, and raw vegetables with very little fat - that certainly would be good for both weight loss and cholesterol. I'm still not sure where the potato chips fit in. Do you ever get to eat fruit or have any calcium in your diet from milk or cheese?

But - if you like eating this way, why not just incorporate it into a regular lifestyle and way of eating so that it's not a 'diet' that has to end? I still think the best 'diet' to be on is one that you can stay on for the rest of your life, and has enough variety that you don't eventually get bored and revert back to old habits.

diane on 3/15/01 at 19:56 (041585)

the potato chips are baked. very low fat.and yes i do eat very small portions of other cooked meals on weekends.no red meat though. i have maybe grilled or baked turkey. and since i am lactose intolerant i do calcium in pill form 1500 mils a day.i am weak to bread so this is good for me cause i can have wheat bread.i am very disciplined when it comes to eating more than i should. yes i eat fruit lotsa apples.but i don't eat one everyday. if i get hungry between meals i eat one.

Nancy F. on 3/17/01 at 06:37 (041692)

This is probably a hughe factor in my problem. The bottoms of my feet arealways red from friction and it is getting harder to walk. I hate my new PowerSteps and think it is ridicious that u can only return them un worn. So how are u suppose to know if they help or not.Thankyou all for your responsed. I am forced to change my eating for ever and droo my 80 lbs. Since walking hurts so much, I guess I will push my self to go on my exceeriose bike. I will keep you posted. Nancy F>

Re: Overweight and Burning feet - to Nancy F

Julie on 3/18/01 at 02:58 (041759)

Nancy, have you thought of going to Weight Watchers? If you really want to take off 80 pounds, that might be the way. I've posted recently, as have others, on my own experience, so if you do a search on Weight Watchers you can check it out. If you're sure the excess weight is a factor in your foot pain, you've got plenty of motivation to shed it, and I'm sure you can.

Laurie R on 3/13/01 at 22:47 (041412)

Hi Nancy ,
My foot is burning right now as I am typing this. My foot does not burn all the time. It goes on and off. I don't have flat feet I have very high arches . I hope you feel better . Laurie R

Valerie S on 3/14/01 at 07:49 (041424)

Hi Nancy.

My feet burn, too. It feels like I have a red hot coal of coral reef in my heel - Yesterday I started to wonder if maybe it would feel better to walk on some hot coals for awhile. Maybe this would kill the nerves & stop the pain - ha ha ha. (kidding of course, but I actually entertained the thought for a few minutes... pain makes the mind work in mysterious ways...)

I read a post the other day about someone who was experiencing relief through weight loss. Also someone saying that drinking a lot of water helps to reduce inflamation -- worth I try, I think. Maybe if we all started drinking 10 glasses of water a day, we could add the results to the survey.

I also have a 2-liter bottle full of ice that I keep in my freezer. I take this out and roll my feet over it; seems to help a little.

My feet hurt so bad (and I work on my feet all day), I couldn't imagine getting ANY exercise at all... until I started physical therapy on Monday. When he told me to get on that bike for 10 minutes, I thought he was crazy. But surprisingly, it didn't hurt my feet at all -- I am getting some new confidence and hope: now I just have to make the decision and start changing my diet.

Best of luck to you... you are not alone.

Barb-NY on 3/14/01 at 08:55 (041428)

When I first got PF (a year ago) one day my feet were on fire. I did everything that night to try to cool them. I was laying on the couch and then stood up. The middle of by back 'cracked' twice and the burning stopped instantaneously. So....maybe the burning in your case is coming from another part of your body and manifesting itself in your feet. It's worth looking into.

Cynthia D on 3/14/01 at 09:09 (041429)

Hi I have a friend who swears her weight is a factor in her pf, though I suspect her case is much milder than ours, she's pretty active. She battles the same old 10 pounds (she's tiny), and swears when the 10 comes on, her pf comes back.

I, however, lost a huge amount of weight because I was pregnant. Overall, during pf I gained 55 pounds and have lost most of it, not getting any relief, as a matter of fact my pf got worse after the weight loss, but it could be because I was exercising like a maniac, including tennis 5 times a week. So I'll never really know if I had rested as well, maybe the weight loss would have helped. BTW, when I was pregnant, I spent months in bed. My pf improved dramatically, but came right back as soon as I was up and about again. Evil stuff.

I did get burning at odd places and odd times (sitting, standing - no relation). The burning was under my big toes and was fairly intense. I no longer have a burning-type feeling since I had ESWT 5 weeks ago.

One thing to consider if you think you are up to it. My yoga instructor has me do this exercize at least twice a week and it seems to help. I lay on a mat with a 'bolster' type pillow under my sacrum and rear. I put my legs straight up into the air. I practice breathing and/or listening to music so I'm not tempted to quit too soon. I stay like that until I literally feel the blood and fluids drain out of my legs, and eventually, my feet. (4-5 minutes?) This is supposed to help drain the toxins out of your feet that accumulate there, as well. Then go back slowly into lying down and stretching. Slowly get up again, and you will have a fresh supply of blood in your feet! Sounds weird if you never tried it, but when I make myself do it, I do feel better. If you have any discomfort, stop immediately as I wouldn't want to reccomend anything that would hurt you, I'm no professional, just a fellow sufferer. Hope this helps and that you feel better soon.

john h on 3/14/01 at 10:35 (041441)

i know a guy who owned a resturant and was on his feet all day. he weighed around 280 lb and had very bad feet. he lost around 110 lb and his foot problems went away.

diane tx on 3/14/01 at 13:35 (041458)

i ahve beenn on the subway diet before heelspurs and pf.i lost 43lbs.and walked 3 miles 3 times a week, but i had foot surgery dec 6 2000 and went thru the holidays on my butt,so guess what i gained some of it back.so this last week i started back on the subway diet and have lost 4lbs as of this morning when i went to therapy and weighed.i got a stationary bike and started excercising again.boy my energy level as increased, and depression is gone.so this works for me. and don't think i go to subway everyday twice a day cause i don't. you can buy everything they have at the store.all i got was turkey and veggies.i have a turkey sandwich sm. bag of cheetos(not supposed to)you are supposed to eat baked lays.and a diet drink.but at the end of the day i have a all veggie sandwich with water.i use wheat bread and low cal. ranch dressing. of course you could just have a salad.but don't go overboard on the salad.you still can eat salads,not excersise and gain weight. so i hope this works. and i do have burning in my feet along with shooting pains, feels like needles.good luck to diane

diane tx on 3/14/01 at 13:49 (041459)

can you buy a book that teaches yoga?i think i would do it faithfully everyday.now i want to know something.when i am in a relaxed position.my toes are pointing downward, just relaxed. for a few minutes. then when i bend my foot up to the stand position while still sitting it feels like something is tearing and extremely painful.do you have this? i have it in both feet.and geting up is a job. i have to place the back of my legs against the lower part of the chair to balance. before i can take a step.
i sure hope you are having a awesome day. and by the way how long has it been since you had the baby and what was it. see ya diane

Celia on 3/14/01 at 14:31 (041477)

My feet burn on occasion and when that happens, I ice. Especially at night when I'm ready for bed. That's the last thing I do. In the mornings, I also feel the tear along the side of my feet. I've been checked to see how my nerves are doing because they think that it's the sural nerve that passes by the side of your knee and down to the side of your ankle and feet. I'm now being treated with cortizone, but they apply it on two patches and the patches have these little metal things that alligator clips clip on to and then they run this little electric machine through those clips. It kills! No relief just yet. Anyway, blah, blah, blah. I'm ready to head south of the border for vitamin B-12 shots!!!

Cynthia D on 3/14/01 at 15:44 (041483)

Hi Diane, and old pf pro like you knows that you shouldn't do what hurts you. Yes, it DEFINATELY hurts to point my toes up, especially after sitting or sleeping. I just do VERY small movements, up and down a few times to 'warm the feet up', then I put my legs over the edge of bed/couch and do VERY slow, small circles with my heels. I do not ever push it to the point of pain, that would make my first step WORSE. So be careful, girl friend. My few first steps (of course wearing sneakers with orthos - never barefoot), are baby steps, and I hold onto a table or counter for support, and then like a wind-up doll, I can totter to the bathroom or wherever I need to get. After about 20 steps, I can almost walk with no limp at all, but not too far, mind you. I never heard of holding your legs against the sofa, but we all figure out what we need to do to get around, don't we? And what a weird diet, but I heard it works.

Try Amazon.com for vidoes on yoga, it would help to see the correct positions so you don't hurt your southern self. Hope you're having a great day!

Celia, sounds like you are getting electrical stimulation. If it hurts, tell them to turn the machine down! I don't think it needs to hurt to give you benefits. Did you get cortizone in the form of an injection? Feel better.

Julie on 3/14/01 at 16:27 (041486)

Hi Diane

There are hundreds of books about yoga, some good, some terrible, and lots in between. But you can't learn yoga from a book: you need a class, with a good teacher who can instruct, observe and correct you. Trying to learn from a boo, or a video will only get you into bad habits, possibly harmful ones.

What is a good teacher? One who runs small classes (no more than 12-15 people) so that he/she can keep an eye on everyone in it, and give individual attention to everyone. One who treats his/her students as individuals, with individual body structures and individual strengths and weaknesses, and does not just 'teach exercises' one after the other. One who teaches correct body use, good breathing habits, and relaxation. And one who encourages students to be responsible for themselves and for what they do in the class.

How to find a teacher who is 'right' for you? Look around. It may take several tries to find a teacher and a class you feel comfortable with. Give a teacher a fair try. See how you feel afterwards. You should feel energized, relaxed, and happy, not drained, tired or sore. You should feel that you and the teacher are on the same wavelength, and that the teacher is interested in you and your progress. If after three or four sessions this is not the case, look elsewhere, and keep looking till you find the right teacher.

Good luck, and all the best

Julie

Julie on 3/14/01 at 16:36 (041489)

Hi Cynthia and Diane

Having posted above, I've now seen your post about videos, Cynthia. I'm sorry to disagree, but videos aren't a safe way to learn to practise yoga. Only a real live teacher can assess you, correct what you are doing, and help you to work accurately and to progress. Looking at a picture on television is not the answer. So please be careful, Diane, and if you're at all interested in learning yoga, find a teacher.

wendyn on 3/14/01 at 18:05 (041500)

A Subway diet? Are you serious? Have I missed something here?

Celia to Cynthia on 3/14/01 at 18:35 (041504)

Your description of how you get up in the morning is exactly what I do. HA! If only we were studied and televised, imagine how we'd all look getting up in the morning! Actually, I sometimes start with the ball of my foot and then work my way through the rest. That works SOMETIMES.

I'm not getting the cortizone shot just yet. I am taking Medrol and the cortizone is being applied topically through those pads that are hooked up to the machine. The first treatment was two days ago and the darned thing left me a heat bump! I hope it doesn't hurt that much next time. I think that the nerve is so irritated that any kind of electric stimulation makes it hypersensitive. Tomorrow's my next treatment. Like I've said before, I'm ready to head south of the border for the vitamin B-12 shots. You just have to go to the pharmacy for that!

Barbara TX on 3/14/01 at 19:35 (041507)

Julie - I find the instructions that you sent me very helpful... not just physically, but as a way to calm fears about not being able to move around (I get very claustrophobic about being confined by my feet). I usually do them while watching a PBS cooking show, because - frankly - introspection makes me sad. Maybe Diane might benefit from your instructions too?

I recently visited the picture page (to have my daily look at John and Steve's dogs) and I saw your wonderful photo - you look lovely, and I'm glad that you posted! Now I can picture you better. I am the picture-taker in the family, and so it is very hard to find pictures of me around here! Hope you are feeling well... B.

diane on 3/14/01 at 20:50 (041511)

hey celia. they can burn your shin with that little electricity machine that sends a antiflamatory in thru the shin. tell the pt to turn the machine down. it shouldn't burn you good luck diane

diane on 3/14/01 at 20:52 (041512)

yes its subway sandwiches. the low cal low fat ones . like turkey and all veggie ones . i lost 43 lbs eating these and walking 3 miles 3 times a week. try it it really works.

diane to cynthia on 3/14/01 at 20:55 (041513)

when i sit in my lounge chair i brace myself for balance by backing my calves up to the chair before i try to stand.what are you doing to try to get better?

wendyn on 3/14/01 at 23:19 (041516)

I don't think so. I go for the sensible food guide approach myself. Just wondering.

wendyn on 3/14/01 at 23:26 (041518)

Where is Julie's picture????? I can't find it!!

wendyn on 3/14/01 at 23:36 (041519)

Tried to let it go...sorry...can't.

What kind of diet recommends you eat potatoe chips and diet soft drinks along with sandwiches? Can you tell me what else you are supposed to eat in a day? What are the exercise requirements? Where did you get this diet from? Are you getting enought calcium etc?

Re: My photo

Julie on 3/15/01 at 02:49 (041525)

I'm under 'Fred', Wendy, looking a bit palsied because the postage-stamp pic on the back cover of John's book lost a lot in the scanning. I'd actually sent a better print off to Judy before I realized this one had been posted, so maybe if Scott doesn't mind double labour, it will be replaced.

Thanks for the compliment, Barb. I would love to see a picture of you, too. Can't you get someone in that nice family of yours to click the shutter?

And what about the rest of you? I've been wondering for ages what people look like whose pics aren't on the board. It really is nice to be able to picture people. So do let's have some more.

Julie on 3/15/01 at 02:56 (041526)

Hi Barb

I'm very glad you're finding the exercises I e-mailed you last year useful. If they're helping to calm you, as well as physically, they're doing the job I hoped they'd do. Keep it up.

All the best

Julie

Richard, C.Ped on 3/15/01 at 08:04 (041533)

Hi Wendy,
I know it sounds weird, but it really is a good way to eat. A few years ago, before the 'Subway Jarrod' commercials (do you guys get that in Canada??), my wife and I started eating semi-veggie. Veggie pizzas and veggie subs from Subway. I would have to get the turkey and chicken though. She lost 30 pounds and I lost 20.

Granted, it is hard to eat subs all the time, so we also cooked very healthy. I was concerned about the lack of a vitamin here and there, so I would supplement with a good multivitamin. We would also make our own juices such as carrot, apple, and melons, but that is another story.

Richard

Richard, C.Ped on 3/15/01 at 08:06 (041534)

Oh yeah, drink water, water, water. Just when you think you can't drink anymore, drink another cup of water. :-)
Richard

diane tx on 3/15/01 at 13:29 (041558)

not only did i lose weight my cholesterol level went from 287 down to 201. and the doctor told me that what ever i was doing to keep it up. and take a good multi-vitiman every day with extra calcium. so that is what i am doing now.and i can tell my energy has increased. not all the fat iintae to make me feel sluggish. well have a good day

diane tx on 3/15/01 at 13:32 (041560)

congrats. on the weight loss. i believe in ths way of eating.did you get a ldl-and hdl check (cholesterol) before you started eating this way.

wendyn on 3/15/01 at 14:06 (041562)

I suppose the principle is fine - you end up eating whole grains, and raw vegetables with very little fat - that certainly would be good for both weight loss and cholesterol. I'm still not sure where the potato chips fit in. Do you ever get to eat fruit or have any calcium in your diet from milk or cheese?

But - if you like eating this way, why not just incorporate it into a regular lifestyle and way of eating so that it's not a 'diet' that has to end? I still think the best 'diet' to be on is one that you can stay on for the rest of your life, and has enough variety that you don't eventually get bored and revert back to old habits.

diane on 3/15/01 at 19:56 (041585)

the potato chips are baked. very low fat.and yes i do eat very small portions of other cooked meals on weekends.no red meat though. i have maybe grilled or baked turkey. and since i am lactose intolerant i do calcium in pill form 1500 mils a day.i am weak to bread so this is good for me cause i can have wheat bread.i am very disciplined when it comes to eating more than i should. yes i eat fruit lotsa apples.but i don't eat one everyday. if i get hungry between meals i eat one.

Nancy F. on 3/17/01 at 06:37 (041692)

This is probably a hughe factor in my problem. The bottoms of my feet arealways red from friction and it is getting harder to walk. I hate my new PowerSteps and think it is ridicious that u can only return them un worn. So how are u suppose to know if they help or not.Thankyou all for your responsed. I am forced to change my eating for ever and droo my 80 lbs. Since walking hurts so much, I guess I will push my self to go on my exceeriose bike. I will keep you posted. Nancy F>

Re: Overweight and Burning feet - to Nancy F

Julie on 3/18/01 at 02:58 (041759)

Nancy, have you thought of going to Weight Watchers? If you really want to take off 80 pounds, that might be the way. I've posted recently, as have others, on my own experience, so if you do a search on Weight Watchers you can check it out. If you're sure the excess weight is a factor in your foot pain, you've got plenty of motivation to shed it, and I'm sure you can.