Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

how much rest?

Posted by Jan C on 3/14/01 at 01:29 (041417)

I have had pf for 18 months and as you know I have tried just about everything except ESWT which we don't have in New Zealand.

When you say rest - how long should one rest for?

I have had a thought!! I have a set of crutches at home - if I was to stay off the foot ALL the time - what would be a good time frame to do it in - 1 day - several days? Should I keep it elevated during this time - or what?

I ahve a N'ice splint which I use at night.

I am prepared to do most anything and if staying off it permanently for a while would break the cycle of inflammation - I will do it!

Any suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated!

Re: how much rest?

Dr. Biehler on 3/14/01 at 09:42 (041436)

night splints help strech out the ahcillies,plantar fascia and help increase range of motion. I do not think they should be used when there is an extreme flare up of the pf. In giving the pf time to heal, instead of none weight bearing, try a walking boot with a rocker botton. Inside the boot you can use your orthotics or have the foot taped with a arch support to take the streching pressure off the pf. To much streching ( ie. night splint ) while the pf is inflamed will prevent healing. Dr. B.

Jan C on 3/14/01 at 16:44 (041491)

You have suggested a walking boot with a rocker bottom - what is one of them? Thanks.

By the way - using the night splint does alleviate the morning pain I used to experience - but the pain still comes back as the day progresses.

Dr. Biehler on 3/15/01 at 11:22 (041556)

A walking boot stabilises the ankle. The rocker bottom is a curved sole on the boot that allows you to rock over your foot instead of bending the ankle. With the proper insert in the boot it prvents the foot from having to pronate and eases the tension on the pf. It is also good if your problem turns out to be more tendon or arthritis related. Dr. B

Dr. Biehler on 3/14/01 at 09:42 (041436)

night splints help strech out the ahcillies,plantar fascia and help increase range of motion. I do not think they should be used when there is an extreme flare up of the pf. In giving the pf time to heal, instead of none weight bearing, try a walking boot with a rocker botton. Inside the boot you can use your orthotics or have the foot taped with a arch support to take the streching pressure off the pf. To much streching ( ie. night splint ) while the pf is inflamed will prevent healing. Dr. B.

Jan C on 3/14/01 at 16:44 (041491)

You have suggested a walking boot with a rocker bottom - what is one of them? Thanks.

By the way - using the night splint does alleviate the morning pain I used to experience - but the pain still comes back as the day progresses.

Dr. Biehler on 3/15/01 at 11:22 (041556)

A walking boot stabilises the ankle. The rocker bottom is a curved sole on the boot that allows you to rock over your foot instead of bending the ankle. With the proper insert in the boot it prvents the foot from having to pronate and eases the tension on the pf. It is also good if your problem turns out to be more tendon or arthritis related. Dr. B