Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Achilles tendonitis

Posted by Kendall M. on 3/14/01 at 13:26 (041457)

I have had recurring achilles tendonitis for the last couple of years. I was treated conservatively with mixed results as the pain always came back when I became active. A couple of weeks ago my doctor did an ultrasound on my foot and found that I have a small chip in my heel where the achilles joins to the heel. This sharp edge cuts into the achilles causing pain and inflammation. He put me in a Bledsoe Achilles Boot to take the stress off my achilles hoping that it will heal and get rid of the inflammation. My question to you is what is the liklihood of this working and do you think that the problem will come back as soon as I remove the boot and become active again? My thought being that if the bone is still chipped it will continue to irriate the tendon upon resuming activity. I want to avoid surgery if at all possible and my doctor will only do it if all else fails. Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Achilles tendonitis

Dr. Biehler on 3/14/01 at 13:58 (041464)

It is important to determine what caused the ' chip'. Was it a trama or some systemic problem? Bone is constantly remodeling but this takes a long time. Dr. B.

Kendall M. on 3/14/01 at 18:32 (041503)

I am pretty sure that the chip was caused by 40 years of pounding on the basketball floor. I can't pinpoint it to one specific incident. My doctor and I both think that it was probably caused by the millions of times my feet have made contact with the hard floor running and jumping.

Dr. Biehler on 3/15/01 at 11:18 (041554)

You are going to have to rely on your doctor for this one. It is hard to comment with out seeing the x-rays. Dr. B.

Dr. Biehler on 3/14/01 at 13:58 (041464)

It is important to determine what caused the ' chip'. Was it a trama or some systemic problem? Bone is constantly remodeling but this takes a long time. Dr. B.

Kendall M. on 3/14/01 at 18:32 (041503)

I am pretty sure that the chip was caused by 40 years of pounding on the basketball floor. I can't pinpoint it to one specific incident. My doctor and I both think that it was probably caused by the millions of times my feet have made contact with the hard floor running and jumping.

Dr. Biehler on 3/15/01 at 11:18 (041554)

You are going to have to rely on your doctor for this one. It is hard to comment with out seeing the x-rays. Dr. B.