Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Severe Bruise to both Heels

Posted by Antonio Bryant on 3/15/01 at 17:13 (041572)

Dear Doctor,

About 45 days ago I jumped off of an 8 foot wall and landed flat on a hard surface (concrete) with all my weight on my heels. I had on shoes with hard plastic soles. I experienced swelling and discoloration. I was xrayed and showed no break or visible fracture. I was unable to walk for a week and then walked on my toes for the next week. I can walk now but I still experience pain. I am a soccer player and avid runner as well...do you think I will heal up fine and if so how long will the process take? I went to a doctor who said they could do nothing...that is was normal. I am very concerned about the long term repurcusions. Please advise...

Re: Severe Bruise to both Heels

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/15/01 at 18:39 (041580)

This could be a stress fracture. If you haven't improved then re-evaluation needs to be done. Additional testing such mri and bone scan would help to determine if there is any stress fracture and or tear in any other part of the ankle and foot. It would also help to examine the joint surfaces of your ankle.

If these are negative then a boot cast, rest, and possible physical therapy could help reduce the pain and help to heal the area.

I there is any additional information and or questions please feel free to ask Dr. Z

Re: Severe Bruise to both Heels

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/15/01 at 18:39 (041580)

This could be a stress fracture. If you haven't improved then re-evaluation needs to be done. Additional testing such mri and bone scan would help to determine if there is any stress fracture and or tear in any other part of the ankle and foot. It would also help to examine the joint surfaces of your ankle.

If these are negative then a boot cast, rest, and possible physical therapy could help reduce the pain and help to heal the area.

I there is any additional information and or questions please feel free to ask Dr. Z