Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome

Posted by marcia g on 3/16/01 at 10:28 (041619)

Dear Drs.,

I started having bilateral pain feet 2 years ago. But only last october we discovered: the electromyograph test confirm tarsat tunnel syndrome in both feet. I tried corticosteroid injections and anti-inflammatories, and finally I underwent a surgical intervention last november, but only in my right foot. They cut the flexor retinaculum making sure the nerve is free of pressure throughtout its course. But since that I'm still in pain at both feet. I don't have any relief. I started taking physiotherapy sessions (ultrasaund, tenses, ice,...)- now I had 35 sessios. I avoid walking a lot, climbing stairs and wearing high heel shoes. But the pain is the same like 2 years ago, and it's so hard!!
During the night the pain increases: before sleeping and when I wake up. Sometimes I woke up because of the pain and I have no position at all to get me relief. Until now, I don't have any relief!! Why????
Why is the same pain for the both feet?
Could there be other problems involved?
Should I undergo any surgery intervention in my left foot too?
My doctor told me to be patient and wait more, because the nerve had a kind of memory and it thinks it's still being pressed. Is this possible?
Please help me, because my life has been totally changed by this problem!

Thank you

Márcia, 30 years-old. From Brazil.

Re: Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/16/01 at 15:56 (041641)

Hi,

I understand the pain and frustration after going thru foot surgery and still no relief. Tarsal Tunnel Surgery can take up to one year to heal and the relief can only be expected in about 60% of the cases that have been done.

Alot of people will have both plantar fasciitis and tarsal tunnel syndrome at the same time and in some cases one can cause the other.

We have been using ESWT for chronic plantar fasciitis for heel spur pain and plantar fasciitis with very effective pain relief.

I am not sure if ESWT is in South American at this time but it something that may be the answer for your chronic foot pain.

There are alot of people on this board with TTS , had TTS surgery had plantar fasiitis , had ESWT, had heel spur surgery. So there are people with a vast amount of pain experience that are very willing to advice and and help you.

Always here to try to help and answer any questions that you may have.

Re: Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/16/01 at 15:56 (041641)

Hi,

I understand the pain and frustration after going thru foot surgery and still no relief. Tarsal Tunnel Surgery can take up to one year to heal and the relief can only be expected in about 60% of the cases that have been done.

Alot of people will have both plantar fasciitis and tarsal tunnel syndrome at the same time and in some cases one can cause the other.

We have been using ESWT for chronic plantar fasciitis for heel spur pain and plantar fasciitis with very effective pain relief.

I am not sure if ESWT is in South American at this time but it something that may be the answer for your chronic foot pain.

There are alot of people on this board with TTS , had TTS surgery had plantar fasiitis , had ESWT, had heel spur surgery. So there are people with a vast amount of pain experience that are very willing to advice and and help you.

Always here to try to help and answer any questions that you may have.