Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

some relief and a question

Posted by paula g on 3/16/01 at 20:13 (041663)

new physical therapist gave me relief from very swollen painful heels with heat, massage, ultra sound and iontopheresis. i think it was the ionto that did it. the area she did had no pain or swelling at all that night or the next day. question. how many ultra sounds and iontothesis can i safely recieve? i'd like to have it every day for the rest of this and the next life.

Re: some relief and a question

Nancy S. on 3/16/01 at 20:52 (041671)

Hi Paula, I had PT for six months (and it helped a lot). I had two different therapists (one left due to illness at about the halfway point).
The first one used ultrasound (with steroid gel) the whole time I saw her. The second one (who I think was the best) started me on iontophoresis, and the deal was that it would be used for only ten sessions in a row -- she said that a break would then be in order (I forget why, but I assume it was to prevent overdoing the driving in of steroids). Turned out that I had the ionto ten times, and then graduated from PT shortly after, so I didn't continue it.
I DO think it helped me -- I had a lot of inflammation and swelling of PF and tendonitis -- and ionto gradually brought a lot of that swelling down. Deep massage, which was a part of my PT sessions, also helped.
So, in case this helps to know, my PT does ten sessions, then takes a break (I'm not sure how long -- a few weeks?) and then will continue the ionto if needed.
Good luck -- glad it's helping you.
Nancy

Re: some relief and a question

Nancy S. on 3/16/01 at 20:52 (041671)

Hi Paula, I had PT for six months (and it helped a lot). I had two different therapists (one left due to illness at about the halfway point).
The first one used ultrasound (with steroid gel) the whole time I saw her. The second one (who I think was the best) started me on iontophoresis, and the deal was that it would be used for only ten sessions in a row -- she said that a break would then be in order (I forget why, but I assume it was to prevent overdoing the driving in of steroids). Turned out that I had the ionto ten times, and then graduated from PT shortly after, so I didn't continue it.
I DO think it helped me -- I had a lot of inflammation and swelling of PF and tendonitis -- and ionto gradually brought a lot of that swelling down. Deep massage, which was a part of my PT sessions, also helped.
So, in case this helps to know, my PT does ten sessions, then takes a break (I'm not sure how long -- a few weeks?) and then will continue the ionto if needed.
Good luck -- glad it's helping you.
Nancy