Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Reocurring Heel Pain

Posted by Staci P. on 3/16/01 at 21:13 (041676)

I have been seeing a foot doctor for over two years now. It seems like that everything that she does is just a 'band aid'. Is there any real cure for foot pain?. In reading the articles on this web site it sounds like that surgey is not always sucessful. I orginally starting going to my foot doctor for pain in my left foot. After 2 shots the pain went away and I have not had any trouble since. But my right foot is a differnt story. I have custom made ordthics and wear them as much as I can (In some dress shoes it is very hard to wear them because my foot slips out.) I have also had 2 shots have taken Celebrex which had no effect (just tempory relief.) I have recently taken a round of predazone, which made me very sick becuse it weakend my immune sysytem. I am tried of foot pain and spending high dollars for 'band aids'. Any suggestions on what to do next? I am fixing to go on a business trip that will require me to be on my feet all day long. Should I ask for another shot? I know that some doctors don't reccommed over 2 shots within a years time. I had 2 with in a month?? Any suggestions?

Re: Reocurring Heel Pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/17/01 at 08:07 (041700)

You are going into or are already into a chronic phase of heel pain. You have had the tradional treatments for heel pain. I would determine if there is more to your heel pain with an mri. If this is negative the option of ESWT is now here. This is an non-surgical option that can avoid future surgery in about 75% of the cases done. We have performed over 150 cases with very effective relief. So in summary get an mri to rule out any problems with the tendons, ligaments and the joint surfaces . Read or call my office for an informational packet with video for ESWT.1-856-848-3338 Feel free to aak about ESWT or any other questions to this board.

Julie on 3/18/01 at 02:15 (041758)

Hi Staci, welcome to the board.

Do follow Dr Z's advice: if you are a candidate for ESWT it should certainly be tried before surgery and it may be the solution for you.

Meanwhile I'd say that there is a treatment that isn't a bandaid, and you haven't mentioned it. It's REST. Plantar fasciitis is an injury and it needs rest in order to heal. It sounds as though your doctor hasn't told you this, but it really is what you will have to do.

It worries me that you say you're going to have to be on your feet all day on your business trip. Do you HAVE to go? If so, do you HAVE to be on your feel all day? Think about it, and see if you can't find a way round this.

Did your doctor advise you not to go barefoot? That too has been, for most of us here, an unbreakable rule. Your arches need support all the time: that means slipping your feet into shoes with good support as soon as you swing your feel over the side of the bed, even when you get up in the night to go to the bathroom. Going barefoot can re-injure the fascia with every step you take. Many of us are happy with Birkenstocks, but they don't suit everybody.

Orthotics are only as good as the shoes they are worn in, and if yours orthotics don't work inside your dress shoes, I think you ought to try to wear those shoes as little as possible. I know there are probably work constraints in your case, but you might be able to find reasonably presentable shoes that do support the orthotics.

When you do have to be on your feet for any length of time, you might find taping a help, as I have. If you read the Heel Pain Book (link on the home page, print it out - it's full of good information) you'll find instructions for taping in part 2. I use the simplest most economical method: two strips of tape connecting the ball of the foot and the heel.

Taping is not a bandaid (though of course it looks like one!). It rests the fascia by giving support to the arch. Do try it and see if it works for you.

I hope these suggestions are some help. Keep in touch with the board, do searches on treatments you want to know more about, read the posts, and keep posting your questions and observations. And read the Heel Pain Book.

Take care and all the best

Julie

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/17/01 at 08:07 (041700)

You are going into or are already into a chronic phase of heel pain. You have had the tradional treatments for heel pain. I would determine if there is more to your heel pain with an mri. If this is negative the option of ESWT is now here. This is an non-surgical option that can avoid future surgery in about 75% of the cases done. We have performed over 150 cases with very effective relief. So in summary get an mri to rule out any problems with the tendons, ligaments and the joint surfaces . Read or call my office for an informational packet with video for ESWT.1-856-848-3338 Feel free to aak about ESWT or any other questions to this board.

Julie on 3/18/01 at 02:15 (041758)

Hi Staci, welcome to the board.

Do follow Dr Z's advice: if you are a candidate for ESWT it should certainly be tried before surgery and it may be the solution for you.

Meanwhile I'd say that there is a treatment that isn't a bandaid, and you haven't mentioned it. It's REST. Plantar fasciitis is an injury and it needs rest in order to heal. It sounds as though your doctor hasn't told you this, but it really is what you will have to do.

It worries me that you say you're going to have to be on your feet all day on your business trip. Do you HAVE to go? If so, do you HAVE to be on your feel all day? Think about it, and see if you can't find a way round this.

Did your doctor advise you not to go barefoot? That too has been, for most of us here, an unbreakable rule. Your arches need support all the time: that means slipping your feet into shoes with good support as soon as you swing your feel over the side of the bed, even when you get up in the night to go to the bathroom. Going barefoot can re-injure the fascia with every step you take. Many of us are happy with Birkenstocks, but they don't suit everybody.

Orthotics are only as good as the shoes they are worn in, and if yours orthotics don't work inside your dress shoes, I think you ought to try to wear those shoes as little as possible. I know there are probably work constraints in your case, but you might be able to find reasonably presentable shoes that do support the orthotics.

When you do have to be on your feet for any length of time, you might find taping a help, as I have. If you read the Heel Pain Book (link on the home page, print it out - it's full of good information) you'll find instructions for taping in part 2. I use the simplest most economical method: two strips of tape connecting the ball of the foot and the heel.

Taping is not a bandaid (though of course it looks like one!). It rests the fascia by giving support to the arch. Do try it and see if it works for you.

I hope these suggestions are some help. Keep in touch with the board, do searches on treatments you want to know more about, read the posts, and keep posting your questions and observations. And read the Heel Pain Book.

Take care and all the best

Julie