Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What Tests Should My Doctor Be Giving Me?

Posted by BrandyE on 3/16/01 at 23:42 (041689)

My podiatrist diagnosed me with tarsal tunnel syndrome. I had orthotics made, and had some success. Now the pain is back--and he says that I have entered Phase II , and should have a cortizone shot. I asked him if it's possible that I have arthritis (and that is causing the new pain--I'm feeling that pain in my shoulder, too). He told me that it's possible but I definitely need the cortizone for the TTS. I have read several posts about people who have had extensive blood work and machine analysis. My doctor only tapped on my ankle! Is this sufficient to diagnose TTS? Should I be tested for arthritis first (my family has a history of severe arthritis at an early age)? I'm worried that the diagnosis might not be complete. Thanks for your help!

Re: What Tests Should My Doctor Be Giving Me?

DR. Zuckerman on 3/17/01 at 08:01 (041698)

Just the fact that there is a family history of severe arthritis would indicate to me that blood evaluation should be done to rule out any specifice arthritis. The steriod injection will need to be done even with the steriod injection. What kind of severe arthritis runs in your family

Re: Arthritis Test

BrandyE on 3/17/01 at 12:27 (041711)

My family has mostly been diagnosed with osteoarthritis. My mother will have to have full knee replacements in a few years....and she is still in her 40's. My father (and I) had terrible knee pain in childhood. And my aunt's arthritis will cause her to need a wheelchair. So you think I should have a cortizone shot anyway? Should I see another doctor for a second opinion and arthritis tests? How extensive should the arthritis test be?

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/17/01 at 14:12 (041723)

The typical arthritis panel which will rule out any connective tissue disease . Like I stated before a single steriod injection is a very good treatment. If any doubts get a second opinion

Re: What Tests Should My Doctor Be Giving Me?

DR. Zuckerman on 3/17/01 at 08:01 (041698)

Just the fact that there is a family history of severe arthritis would indicate to me that blood evaluation should be done to rule out any specifice arthritis. The steriod injection will need to be done even with the steriod injection. What kind of severe arthritis runs in your family

BrandyE on 3/17/01 at 12:27 (041711)

My family has mostly been diagnosed with osteoarthritis. My mother will have to have full knee replacements in a few years....and she is still in her 40's. My father (and I) had terrible knee pain in childhood. And my aunt's arthritis will cause her to need a wheelchair. So you think I should have a cortizone shot anyway? Should I see another doctor for a second opinion and arthritis tests? How extensive should the arthritis test be?

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/17/01 at 14:12 (041723)

The typical arthritis panel which will rule out any connective tissue disease . Like I stated before a single steriod injection is a very good treatment. If any doubts get a second opinion