Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF and heel spurs in both feet

Posted by Kitty on 3/17/01 at 11:27 (041704)

I am a basketball referee that had to stop officiating at the end of the season because I was in so much pain after my games. I could run after I got warmed up during the game, but then couldn't get out of my car when I got home. I have custom orthotics for 5 years and just had to get them replaced because my foot has changed. I am now going to PT 3/week for ultrasound, electric stimulation, foot massage and gentle stretching exercises. I have gone for 3 weeks and am still in agony. I take Vioxx 25mg once a day. Will I ever be able to walk again? I am now worried about my state of mind. Depression is now just aroiund the corner for me. I am used to exercising.What can I do now to stay active?

Re: PF and heel spurs in both feet

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/18/01 at 07:48 (041765)

Biking, swimming. PT should be working at this point to some degree. You need to have a re-evaluation of your foot.

Linda T on 3/20/01 at 23:41 (042021)

Kitty, I wanted to tell you that you are not alone. Hang in there.Not everyone is not lucky enough to have this in both feet. It makes it hard to rest one foot when they are both hurting! I am also extremely active which I think unfortunately may have something to do with the condition my feet are in. I have actually had this for a while now and also had to stop working as a result. I can honestly say I've tried all the conventional methods out there. That's why I came to this site about the Ossotron.Initially I had to crawl on my hands and knees to get around the house I was in so much pain. I can tell you that time is a healer. Although I'm not where I want to be activity wise I am better. It was also to painful to bike or swim initially. I have switched to floor exercise and using weights. It can be a depressing thing initially because you go from being Ms. Active and can do it all to Ms. I am unable to do that because of the pain. But hang in there it does get better.This is from someone who knows personally how hard it really is. I wanted to share this story with you. It actually happened to me. I think the Lord knew exactly what I needed. I went to an appointment to get my shoe inserts made and the Orthotist told me about a new material he was using.He told me that he recently made ONE for a man that had come into the office. I was in a funk that day about my feet and I thought to myself...'Isn't that nice that man only had to have one insert made,Gosh if I only had to deal with one foot in pain that would be so much easier, Iwould probably get better faster!' No sooner had I thought that the Orthotist told me that the man only needed ONE insert because his leg had been amputated on the other side! That smacked me back in reality! I've had to make some adjustments because of this. One is that I've had to slow down my pace.That was rather uncomfortable for me to do. But has actually been a blessing. It seems that when I slow down I am actually able to see the little blessings in life that I normally would take for granted. Please take heart and hang in there! Linda

Julie on 3/21/01 at hrmin (042034)

Hi, Kitty and Linda

Linda, I somehow missed your original post, but want to second Dr Z's suggestion of swimming, particularly if you are on the edge of depression. Can you swim? It's superb all-over, aerobic exercise, and for people who can't do weight-bearing exercise, it's a life-saver. And, as you know, all aerobic exercise lifts the spirits.

My father taught me to swim when I was five; I loved it then because he loved it, and I've loved it ever since. I always feel better, energized and cheerful, after a good swim.

So I hope there is a pool near you that you can use.

As a lifelong student and long-time teacher of yoga, I can't leave the subject without recommending you look into it. The problem is, you'd have to look long and hard to find a teacher and a class that would be suitable for you. The standing postures would obviously be inappropriate now. But a practice tailored to your needs would be very helpful to you, I think - not only physically, but with your mental state.

Have you read the Heel Pain Book? There are links on the home page to this great source of information and guidance on dealing with PF. Do have a good look at it: knowledge is power.

Linda, I guess you were joking when you said 'not everyone is lucky enough to have PF in both feet', but there's some truth in that. If both feet hurt, you can't compensate for pain in one by misusing the other. This board has seen many, many posts from people who have damaged their knees, hips and back by habitually limping and putting too much weight on the 'good foot' - which so easily becomes a 'bad foot' when so treated.

All the best to you both, Julie

Re: To Kitty - PS

Julie on 3/21/01 at hrmin (042035)

Sorry, the first part of my post was to you, but I said 'Linda'. I also meant to say that you are welcome to email me if you want to talk about yoga.

Linda T on 3/21/01 at 20:36 (042121)

Julie, I wanted to clarify my position on the subject of swimming. I totally agree that it is an excellent form of exercise and I love to swim!My point to Kitty was that initially I was in so much pain bilaterally that swimming although non-weight bearing was still too painful. So that's when I had to go to something else like weights/floor exercise. I would love to do yoga but would need to find the right person like you said.I encourage Kitty to try swimming, anything she is capable of doing. I just wanted to make her aware that if it's too painful there are other things to try.I didn't want her to be discouraged if one particular activity was too difficult but to keep on looking for the right activity for her. My comment about 'not everyone is lucky enough to have both feet' was coming from the thought that the majority of people I have met and have talked to have only one foot involved.They would say to me 'I don't know how you do it ? I at least have one good foot to use.' I am also aware of the problems with compensating for pain. Needless to say my walking pattern is a true example of that. Several months ago I had tendonitis in both of my knees but luckily it didn't last long. My purpose for responding to Kitty was to let her know that she is not alone and for her to find they right activity for her.I wanted her not to be discouraged. To hang in there! And that I will be praying for her. Take care LindaT

Clara from Sweden on 3/25/01 at hrmin (042405)

Hello!

Thank´s for this site! I have now understood that i am not alone having all this pain in both feet. I thought so before. I have heel spurs on each of them and this is the most painful I ever felt in my life. It is so depressing!!
But when I read your posts, Linda and Julie, I feel no more alone!
This is getting worse, I have had it for 2 months, nothing works, the doctor has given me shots, the chiropractor tapes the feet (that is with the best results but now it doesn´t work anymore), I have get 'zonetheraphy' and now I am going to a orthopedic in next week. I crawl around the house on my knees.
Probably i´m going to get a wheelchair!
I have never in my life been so depressed! I want to dance, run and be like before this happened!
But when I read Linda´s post i couldn´t do anything but laught, and cry (the poor man with the amputated leg!), whatsoever, what can you do? And I agree whith you, I feel a lot more greatful towards life, a little bird can make me happy now! I hardly looked at them before, and so on. I cannot work, I cannot take care of my children, but I am much more greatful if I have a 'good day' whithout pain.

The best to you from Sweden

Klara

Julie on 3/25/01 at 13:15 (042413)

Hi Clara, and welcome to the board.

I'm not so far away from you, in Britain - but with this website everyone, wherever they live, is in close touch with others who are experiencing heel pain. So no, you are definitely not alone.

There is a lot you can learn about heel pain in order to help yourself. First, read the Heel Pain Book (you'll find links to it on the Home Page). It is very helpful. You can also post questions to the doctors, and the rest of us.

Are you walking a lot? The main thing to be aware of, with plantar fasciitis, is that you need rest. But I suppose you are getting that, as you say your pain is severe. There are a number of conservative treatments that can be and should be tried before injections or surgery (just in case the orthopedic doctor recommends these). And you should look into ESWT, a non-invasive treatment that has been having good results.

Do keep in touch. You aren't alone!

All the best, Julie

Clara on 3/26/01 at hrmin (042476)

Hi Julie and all others in footpain!
It´s right, I rest a lot. But I have two childrens, the youngest is only 2 years old, so the father do all the homework. The largest boy is 8 years and he is so mad at me because I can´t walk around as usual. This is getting worse. But I do know now that I am not alone. Thank you for your answer, it´s getting better already (in my mind - I thought i would go crazy for a while).

I will try read the heel pain book.

The best for you too

from Clara

Julie on 3/26/01 at 02:11 (042483)

Hi Claudia

The Heel Pain Book will keep you from going crazy - it's full of good sense. But do keep in touch with this message board, ask questions, get to know people. There are lots of folks here who have been through what you are going through, and can help you.

And it's nice for me to have someone else who is up and posting at about the same time as me (while everyone in the States is fast asleep)!

Take care

Julie

Re: Clara, not Claudia

Julie on 3/26/01 at 02:13 (042484)

Sorry, Clara - my post in answer to yours a few minutes ago was for you, not Claudia. Claudia is also a recent poster, and I got you mixed up.

Clara on 3/26/01 at hrmin (042485)

Hi again Julie! I also think they all sleeping 'over there'!

Well, this is fun!! I have nothing to do, but surf on the Internet, no work, no homework, nothing at all. So I am so glad I found you and this site! I have read the Heel Pain book now, and I will now start trying ice on the heels and find out if it´s working. Have you tried that? Should I take a plastic bottle, ice it, and roll it under the feet?
You must have to excuse me if my english is not so very good, I feel like the 'Swedish cook' in 'The Muppet Show' when i 'talk' english. But I hope you'll understand me.

I will go to my chiropractor today, he tapes my heels and it´s helping sometimes for a short while, a couples of days, perhaps, and then the horror begin again. At wednesday I will go to a orthododic, and listen what he has to say. An operation - oh no! I will rather be sitting in a wheelchair! If it doesn´t work out!? I am so afraid of the operation! Then I will have to operate both heels! At the same time?! Aouch!

Well, today I feel a little better, on the 'inside'! Sometimes I just lie down and cry over this, but that is not helping me at all! I have just read a book that helped me a lot: Mith Albom;s: Tuesdays whith Morrie, read it! The book is outstanding!!

Take care

Clara

Jamie L. on 4/11/01 at 20:13 (044303)

I also have spurs on the bottom and back of each heel. I know the pain your in. I have gone through cortison shots, physical therapy, taping, deep heat rubs, surgery for the Plantar Fasciitis, and now shock therapy twice a day for thirty minutes I have also tried celebrex and vioxx. I know that somewhere out there we will find something or someone that can take the pain away. I also get depressed when my little girl wants to go to the zoo or walking the some of the things we used to do.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/18/01 at 07:48 (041765)

Biking, swimming. PT should be working at this point to some degree. You need to have a re-evaluation of your foot.

Linda T on 3/20/01 at 23:41 (042021)

Kitty, I wanted to tell you that you are not alone. Hang in there.Not everyone is not lucky enough to have this in both feet. It makes it hard to rest one foot when they are both hurting! I am also extremely active which I think unfortunately may have something to do with the condition my feet are in. I have actually had this for a while now and also had to stop working as a result. I can honestly say I've tried all the conventional methods out there. That's why I came to this site about the Ossotron.Initially I had to crawl on my hands and knees to get around the house I was in so much pain. I can tell you that time is a healer. Although I'm not where I want to be activity wise I am better. It was also to painful to bike or swim initially. I have switched to floor exercise and using weights. It can be a depressing thing initially because you go from being Ms. Active and can do it all to Ms. I am unable to do that because of the pain. But hang in there it does get better.This is from someone who knows personally how hard it really is. I wanted to share this story with you. It actually happened to me. I think the Lord knew exactly what I needed. I went to an appointment to get my shoe inserts made and the Orthotist told me about a new material he was using.He told me that he recently made ONE for a man that had come into the office. I was in a funk that day about my feet and I thought to myself...'Isn't that nice that man only had to have one insert made,Gosh if I only had to deal with one foot in pain that would be so much easier, Iwould probably get better faster!' No sooner had I thought that the Orthotist told me that the man only needed ONE insert because his leg had been amputated on the other side! That smacked me back in reality! I've had to make some adjustments because of this. One is that I've had to slow down my pace.That was rather uncomfortable for me to do. But has actually been a blessing. It seems that when I slow down I am actually able to see the little blessings in life that I normally would take for granted. Please take heart and hang in there! Linda

Julie on 3/21/01 at hrmin (042034)

Hi, Kitty and Linda

Linda, I somehow missed your original post, but want to second Dr Z's suggestion of swimming, particularly if you are on the edge of depression. Can you swim? It's superb all-over, aerobic exercise, and for people who can't do weight-bearing exercise, it's a life-saver. And, as you know, all aerobic exercise lifts the spirits.

My father taught me to swim when I was five; I loved it then because he loved it, and I've loved it ever since. I always feel better, energized and cheerful, after a good swim.

So I hope there is a pool near you that you can use.

As a lifelong student and long-time teacher of yoga, I can't leave the subject without recommending you look into it. The problem is, you'd have to look long and hard to find a teacher and a class that would be suitable for you. The standing postures would obviously be inappropriate now. But a practice tailored to your needs would be very helpful to you, I think - not only physically, but with your mental state.

Have you read the Heel Pain Book? There are links on the home page to this great source of information and guidance on dealing with PF. Do have a good look at it: knowledge is power.

Linda, I guess you were joking when you said 'not everyone is lucky enough to have PF in both feet', but there's some truth in that. If both feet hurt, you can't compensate for pain in one by misusing the other. This board has seen many, many posts from people who have damaged their knees, hips and back by habitually limping and putting too much weight on the 'good foot' - which so easily becomes a 'bad foot' when so treated.

All the best to you both, Julie

Re: To Kitty - PS

Julie on 3/21/01 at hrmin (042035)

Sorry, the first part of my post was to you, but I said 'Linda'. I also meant to say that you are welcome to email me if you want to talk about yoga.

Linda T on 3/21/01 at 20:36 (042121)

Julie, I wanted to clarify my position on the subject of swimming. I totally agree that it is an excellent form of exercise and I love to swim!My point to Kitty was that initially I was in so much pain bilaterally that swimming although non-weight bearing was still too painful. So that's when I had to go to something else like weights/floor exercise. I would love to do yoga but would need to find the right person like you said.I encourage Kitty to try swimming, anything she is capable of doing. I just wanted to make her aware that if it's too painful there are other things to try.I didn't want her to be discouraged if one particular activity was too difficult but to keep on looking for the right activity for her. My comment about 'not everyone is lucky enough to have both feet' was coming from the thought that the majority of people I have met and have talked to have only one foot involved.They would say to me 'I don't know how you do it ? I at least have one good foot to use.' I am also aware of the problems with compensating for pain. Needless to say my walking pattern is a true example of that. Several months ago I had tendonitis in both of my knees but luckily it didn't last long. My purpose for responding to Kitty was to let her know that she is not alone and for her to find they right activity for her.I wanted her not to be discouraged. To hang in there! And that I will be praying for her. Take care LindaT

Clara from Sweden on 3/25/01 at hrmin (042405)

Hello!

Thank´s for this site! I have now understood that i am not alone having all this pain in both feet. I thought so before. I have heel spurs on each of them and this is the most painful I ever felt in my life. It is so depressing!!
But when I read your posts, Linda and Julie, I feel no more alone!
This is getting worse, I have had it for 2 months, nothing works, the doctor has given me shots, the chiropractor tapes the feet (that is with the best results but now it doesn´t work anymore), I have get 'zonetheraphy' and now I am going to a orthopedic in next week. I crawl around the house on my knees.
Probably i´m going to get a wheelchair!
I have never in my life been so depressed! I want to dance, run and be like before this happened!
But when I read Linda´s post i couldn´t do anything but laught, and cry (the poor man with the amputated leg!), whatsoever, what can you do? And I agree whith you, I feel a lot more greatful towards life, a little bird can make me happy now! I hardly looked at them before, and so on. I cannot work, I cannot take care of my children, but I am much more greatful if I have a 'good day' whithout pain.

The best to you from Sweden

Klara

Julie on 3/25/01 at 13:15 (042413)

Hi Clara, and welcome to the board.

I'm not so far away from you, in Britain - but with this website everyone, wherever they live, is in close touch with others who are experiencing heel pain. So no, you are definitely not alone.

There is a lot you can learn about heel pain in order to help yourself. First, read the Heel Pain Book (you'll find links to it on the Home Page). It is very helpful. You can also post questions to the doctors, and the rest of us.

Are you walking a lot? The main thing to be aware of, with plantar fasciitis, is that you need rest. But I suppose you are getting that, as you say your pain is severe. There are a number of conservative treatments that can be and should be tried before injections or surgery (just in case the orthopedic doctor recommends these). And you should look into ESWT, a non-invasive treatment that has been having good results.

Do keep in touch. You aren't alone!

All the best, Julie

Clara on 3/26/01 at hrmin (042476)

Hi Julie and all others in footpain!
It´s right, I rest a lot. But I have two childrens, the youngest is only 2 years old, so the father do all the homework. The largest boy is 8 years and he is so mad at me because I can´t walk around as usual. This is getting worse. But I do know now that I am not alone. Thank you for your answer, it´s getting better already (in my mind - I thought i would go crazy for a while).

I will try read the heel pain book.

The best for you too

from Clara

Julie on 3/26/01 at 02:11 (042483)

Hi Claudia

The Heel Pain Book will keep you from going crazy - it's full of good sense. But do keep in touch with this message board, ask questions, get to know people. There are lots of folks here who have been through what you are going through, and can help you.

And it's nice for me to have someone else who is up and posting at about the same time as me (while everyone in the States is fast asleep)!

Take care

Julie

Julie on 3/26/01 at 02:13 (042484)

Sorry, Clara - my post in answer to yours a few minutes ago was for you, not Claudia. Claudia is also a recent poster, and I got you mixed up.

Clara on 3/26/01 at hrmin (042485)

Hi again Julie! I also think they all sleeping 'over there'!

Well, this is fun!! I have nothing to do, but surf on the Internet, no work, no homework, nothing at all. So I am so glad I found you and this site! I have read the Heel Pain book now, and I will now start trying ice on the heels and find out if it´s working. Have you tried that? Should I take a plastic bottle, ice it, and roll it under the feet?
You must have to excuse me if my english is not so very good, I feel like the 'Swedish cook' in 'The Muppet Show' when i 'talk' english. But I hope you'll understand me.

I will go to my chiropractor today, he tapes my heels and it´s helping sometimes for a short while, a couples of days, perhaps, and then the horror begin again. At wednesday I will go to a orthododic, and listen what he has to say. An operation - oh no! I will rather be sitting in a wheelchair! If it doesn´t work out!? I am so afraid of the operation! Then I will have to operate both heels! At the same time?! Aouch!

Well, today I feel a little better, on the 'inside'! Sometimes I just lie down and cry over this, but that is not helping me at all! I have just read a book that helped me a lot: Mith Albom;s: Tuesdays whith Morrie, read it! The book is outstanding!!

Take care

Clara

Jamie L. on 4/11/01 at 20:13 (044303)

I also have spurs on the bottom and back of each heel. I know the pain your in. I have gone through cortison shots, physical therapy, taping, deep heat rubs, surgery for the Plantar Fasciitis, and now shock therapy twice a day for thirty minutes I have also tried celebrex and vioxx. I know that somewhere out there we will find something or someone that can take the pain away. I also get depressed when my little girl wants to go to the zoo or walking the some of the things we used to do.