Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

pain at base of index toe

Posted by Rose on 3/17/01 at 18:49 (041737)

I have been having severe pain at the base of what I call the 'index' toe, meaning the toe next to the big toe.
At times I can barely step on my foot because of this pain.
Another problem is at time when I am walking, my foot will get a sharp pain on the top of the arch and will give out on me.
I also have arthritis in my knees, and am looking at synvisc injections in the very near future.
Thank You
Rose

Re: pain at base of index toe

DR. Biehler on 3/18/01 at 12:17 (041780)

Alot of times if a person has an elevated or hypermoble first toe, the bodies weight is transfered to the second toe durring gait ( the act of walking ), This excessive pressure can cause a capsulitis ( inflamation ) of the joint. This may or may not be your problem. If it is it usually can be helped with conservative treatment such as with posting ( orthotics ) anti inflamaories, change of shoe gear, etc. Dr. B.

Re: pain at base of index toe

DR. Biehler on 3/18/01 at 12:17 (041780)

Alot of times if a person has an elevated or hypermoble first toe, the bodies weight is transfered to the second toe durring gait ( the act of walking ), This excessive pressure can cause a capsulitis ( inflamation ) of the joint. This may or may not be your problem. If it is it usually can be helped with conservative treatment such as with posting ( orthotics ) anti inflamaories, change of shoe gear, etc. Dr. B.